[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] IBM VGA graphics demos and software

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (02/05/91)

	Anyone know where I could get some VGA graphics demos or software?

--

J. White                       "Ah, I see you have the machine that goes BING!"
jdwhite@iastate.edu                  - Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life"

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.195742.2228@news.iastate.edu> jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) writes:
>	Anyone know where I could get some VGA graphics demos or software?
>J. White                       "Ah, I see you have the machine that goes BING!"
>jdwhite@iastate.edu                  - Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life"

Sure, get ahold of a game called bananoid.  It's a breakout game.
It does about the most impressive things that I have ever seen
with VGA.  VGA and mouse are required.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (02/05/91)

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:

>In article <1991Feb4.195742.2228@news.iastate.edu> jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) writes:
>>	Anyone know where I could get some VGA graphics demos or software?

>Sure, get ahold of a game called bananoid.  It's a breakout game.
>It does about the most impressive things that I have ever seen
>with VGA.  VGA and mouse are required.

I got bananoid off a local BBS. It did nothing. (Or did it crash the system - it's
a little while ago). I have a rather vanilla VGA (ATI not-wonder) & a Genius mouse.
Was this copy defect, or does it need SVGA?

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/06/91)

In article <655@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>I got bananoid off a local BBS.
>It did nothing. (Or did it crash the system - it's
>a little while ago). I have a rather vanilla
>VGA (ATI not-wonder) & a Genius mouse.
>Was this copy defect, or does it need SVGA?
>Best Regards, Derek Carr
>DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL        Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands

I think you need at least 640x480x256.  I guess the 256 is super, I
think that standard VGA is 640x480x16.

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/06/91)

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:
>In article <655@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>>I got bananoid off a local BBS.
>>It did nothing. (Or did it crash the system - it's
>>a little while ago). I have a rather vanilla
>>VGA (ATI not-wonder) & a Genius mouse.
>>Was this copy defect, or does it need SVGA?
>>Best Regards, Derek Carr
>>DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL        Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands

>I think you need at least 640x480x256.  I guess the 256 is super, I
>think that standard VGA is 640x480x16.

The game functions with "standard" VGA hardware - ie, most vanilla 256K
boards.  However, it uses one of the nonstandard modes, such as 320x400x256
or, most likely, 360x480x256, which is about the best you can squeeze out
of plain VGA in 256 colors.  However, I have a SVGA card (Genoa, I think)
which works in 360x480x256 for some programs such as Bananoid, but not for
others, such as CShow.  Or perhaps the other way around, I forget.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

dslg0849@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Daniel S. Lewart) (02/06/91)

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) writes:

> Anyone know where I could get some VGA graphics demos or software?

I have seen a program called 'ORBIS', but I don't know where it came from
or what type of ware it is.  Does anyone have some info?

Thanks,
Daniel Lewart
d-lewart@uiuc.edu

hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl (Hayo Baan) (02/06/91)

In <1991Feb05.224719.9967@hoss.unl.edu> vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:

->In article <655@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
->>I got bananoid off a local BBS.
->>It did nothing. (Or did it crash the system - it's
->>a little while ago). I have a rather vanilla
->>VGA (ATI not-wonder) & a Genius mouse.
->>Was this copy defect, or does it need SVGA?

I think you got the worng version of bananoid; there are two versions of the game :
one for standard VGA (320x200x256) which shows only half the screen, and one for some special
VGA-card (forgot the name) which shows the entire screen.

->I think you need at least 640x480x256.  I guess the 256 is super, I
->think that standard VGA is 640x480x16.

This is absolutely untrue : standard VGA is 320x200x256 and 640x480x16 (and all lower modes
supported by ega cga and such).

Greetings,

--

| Hayo R. Baan     | E-Mail : hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl                           |