[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] gifs compressable?

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (02/05/91)

i came across this strange result a while ago.

>dir      pic.gif  =>  287K    100%
>lharc    pic.gif  =>  277K     96%
>gif2bmp  pic.gif  =>  307K
>lharc    pic.bmp  =>  241K     84%

so, thru conversion and compression, the gif file reduced to 84% of original.
i also obtained similar results for other gifs and pkzip. so, what is being
compressed here?

In article <4bffFVW00XYKI3J0UA@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
| i came across this strange result a while ago.

| >lharc    pic.bmp  =>  241K     84%

| so, thru conversion and compression, the gif file reduced to 84% of original.
| i also obtained similar results for other gifs and pkzip. so, what is being
| compressed here?

  No, the gif file doesn't seem to have been compressed, the bitmap file
does. GIF files are already compressed, while a bitmap isn't. This
allows the compressors, like zip or arc, to work on the raw data.

  The new alt.comp.compression may carry discussions of stuff like this.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX