[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] compression sources and miscellaneous

shopov@ee.su.oz.au (Sacha Shopov) (02/09/91)

Hi.

I've a few requests if I may ask.

Arj020 - a compression utility that uses simple exclusive-or operations
manages to get such a tight packed compression. I was impressed. It was
the tightest for a while, and still looks promising. Has there been an
upgrade version to it yet, and/or if so/not when/where. :)

On that note, can someone direct me to the source code of these
compression utilities if they are avaliable. Not just arj, but other
common ibm-style archivers.

Also, most of these offer an encryption method built in, ie pkzip -s,
arc -g, etc. I cant find a mention of which algorith they use. Most
just ignore that section. DES is meant to be the algorithm mostly secure
which people often use for security, but I can't find out if they are
built into any of these.

Thats about it. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Sachz.
shopov@ee.su.oz.au
Down Under is the place to be. :)

nb. a utility like norton5 has DES avaliable already implemented.
just a note. Also, preferably if the above is compatible with other
machine types.

test .signature

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb9.111235.13379@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> shopov@ee.su.oz.au (Sacha Shopov) writes:
:
>On that note, can someone direct me to the source code of these
>compression utilities if they are avaliable. Not just arj, but other
>common ibm-style archivers.
:

Take a look in the /unix/ts directory at our archives.  The Unix
versions (of what we have) include the sources.  (Yes, I know that
the question concerns the MsDos versions, but a Unix source is a
better alternative than no MsDos source at all).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37