[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Don't forget the shareware rules

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/09/91)

:
>>   arc602.exe      SEA's .arc packing/unpacking system.
>>   arj015a.zip     Robert Kung's .arj archiver beta test version
>>   lh114b.exe      Dense compression from Japan, (hacked?) version
>>   lh113de.exe     Latest attested version for .lzh compression
>>   pak251.exe      NoGate (un)packing for pak, arc, sdn, zip, files
>>   pk361.exe       This packed and unpacked .arc files fast
>>   pkz110eu.exe    PKZIP/PKUNZIP "Euroversion" with no encryption
>>   zoo201.exe      Zoo packing/unpacking facility from Rahul Dhesi
:
>This is all very well, but some of these (un)packing programs have
>scary copyright notices on them!  So what happens when the (gasp!)
>SOFTWARE POLICE catch us Uni-folk with these little beauties in our
>little red hands?  ):-(  (Don't laugh!  Australia has such police.)

Good grief, dear friend!  Haven't you ever heard of shareware, or are
you pulling our collective leg.  :-)

Seriously, all users of our (and other ftp archives) should bear in
mind, that even if we can download stuff free from the sites, this
does not mean that everything is freeware (much isn't).  Recall what
eg our site's instructions state: "Please duly observe shareware
rules wherever indicated".

P.S.  Please, let's not enter into a discussion of shareware etc
morality.  It has already been discussed ad nauseum in some other
groups.  I just wanted to remind us all of this facet of things.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37