[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] "Naughty bits" in the game "Blast".

nester@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Darryl K. Nester) (02/11/91)

When playing the "breakout"-type game "Blast", posted to c.b.i.p. within
the last couple of weeks, I discovered that while most of the names in the
"Hall of Fame" were "Mr. Nobody" with a score of 0, there was a (ahem)
slightly different one in the HOF for the third variation ("Blast").

Suffice it to say that if there is anybody out there with small children
who might be playing this game, or if you plan to give a copy to a friend,
you might want to attack the file "FILE.BIN" with DEBUG and sanitize it
first.

In case there is anyone out there who isn't familiar/comfortable with
DEBUG, and wants advice on what to do, drop me a line and I'll give more
detailed instructions.

Darryl Nester -- Purdue University Department of Statistics
nester@pop.stat.purdue.edu

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (02/11/91)

In article <5599@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> nester@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Darryl K. Nester) writes:

>When playing the "breakout"-type game "Blast", posted to c.b.i.p. within
>the last couple of weeks, I discovered that while most of the names in the
>"Hall of Fame" were "Mr. Nobody" with a score of 0, there was a (ahem)
>slightly different one in the HOF for the third variation ("Blast").
>
>Suffice it to say that if there is anybody out there with small children
>who might be playing this game, or if you plan to give a copy to a friend,
>you might want to attack the file "FILE.BIN" with DEBUG and sanitize it
>first.

I discovered this also, and wondered whether the X-rated text was
intentional or not.

In any case, I also discovered that you don't need to binary-edit
FILE.BIN in order to solve the problem (although that's what I
initially did).  All you have to do is delete the FILE.BIN that
was provided, and BLAST.EXE will create a brand new (non-X-rated)
FILE.BIN.

.
--
Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

wewst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Williams) (02/11/91)

In article <5599@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> nester@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Darryl K. Nester) writes:

>Suffice it to say that if there is anybody out there with small children
>who might be playing this game, or if you plan to give a copy to a friend,
>you might want to attack the file "FILE.BIN" with DEBUG and sanitize it
>first.

	Debug is not necessary, just delete the file and run the game.
The author wrote the game to write a new file if none was found to change.
Nice to see game makers writting thing to take errors and not crash.

	Has anybody played the game "World" that was plugged in the
game, a vga moria type game sounds like fun.  I would like to find
out more before I plunk down my cash.

						Ted
						wewst1@vms.cis.pitt.edu