[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] CLNFIL22.ZIP - Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space

HAKL@DFRRUF1.BITNET (Klaus Hartnegg) (02/13/91)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
CLNFIL22.ZIP    Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space

CleanFile ensures that you don't inadvently publish confidential
data when giving away files on diskettes:

Every time DOS writes a file it fills up the last used cluster with some
randomly collected data.  CleanFile wipes out this unused data space
without affecting the file itself.

This is a new version with some more options:
  /r           recurse into subdirectories
  /hid         include hidden files
  /sys         include system files
  /d<date>     only files with given or newer date
  /today       only files that have changed today
  /x<filename> eXclude file(s) from cleaning
  /s           simulate, do NOT clean any files

Klaus Hartnegg
HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

martin@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Martin A Miller) (02/13/91)

In article <W8SDZ.12661102278.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> HAKL@DFRRUF1.BITNET (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:
>I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:
>
>pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
>CLNFIL22.ZIP    Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space

I like the idea, but I recently downloaded a program similar
to this called PRUNE.  I "pruned" all the files on my hard drive
and discovered that PRUNE alters the date/time stamp.  I hope this
(CleanFile) one doesn't.

>Klaus Hartnegg
>HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

cheers,