[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WANT: PKUNZIP

rmosher (02/09/91)

Many of the files posted to c.b.i.p are in ZIP format.  I understand
that this can be converted with PKUNZIP.  Sigh, annoying I know, but
would some kind soul please e-mail me a copy of this.  If possible, a
copy of PKZIP would also be appreciated.

Thank-you.

Richard B. Mosher
mdivax1!rmosher@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.004309.2221@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!rmosher writes:
>Many of the files posted to c.b.i.p are in ZIP format.  I understand
>that this can be converted with PKUNZIP.  Sigh, annoying I know, but
>would some kind soul please e-mail me a copy of this.  If possible, a
>copy of PKZIP would also be appreciated.

First please consider this:

7. *****
 Q: Someone email me a .zip extractor (or something equally common)

 A: This is not a flame but a friendly piece of advice for you, and
others occasionally posting similar wishes concerning easily
available shareware and PD programs.
    Better still than making an offhand request that may end up with
several kind netters duplicating each others' efforts for your
benefit by rushing to email your request to you, how about doing the
work yourself and getting it from an ftp site, or a BBS near you.
At our site the extractors can be found in the /pc/pd2 directory.
For .zip files use pkz110eu.exe.
   The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi,
Vaasa, Finland, or by using our mail server (use the latter if, and
only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not familiar with
anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send prerecorded
instructions on request.  (If you don't get the instructions from me
within a few days, it will mean that your email address cannot be
reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't be able to utilize
the mail server anyway.)
   If you are in North America, first try a North American mail
server to cut down the overseas traffic.
   If you don't know what directory to look at for the program you
would like to have, first get the file lists:
     /pc/INDEX
     /pc/ts/0dir-ts
     /pc/ts/tsarc113.txt

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (02/12/91)

>In article <1991Feb9.004309.2221@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!rmosher writes:
>>Many of the files posted to c.b.i.p are in ZIP format.  I understand
>>that this can be converted with PKUNZIP.  Sigh, annoying I know, but
>>would some kind soul please e-mail me a copy of this.  If possible, a
>>copy of PKZIP would also be appreciated.
>
> Q: Someone email me a .zip extractor (or something equally common)
>
> A: This is not a flame but a friendly piece of advice for you, and
>others occasionally posting similar wishes concerning easily
>available shareware and PD programs.
>    Better still than making an offhand request that may end up with
>several kind netters duplicating each others' efforts for your
>benefit by rushing to email your request to you, how about doing the
>work yourself and getting it from an ftp site, or a BBS near you.
>At our site the extractors can be found in the /pc/pd2 directory.
>For .zip files use pkz110eu.exe.
>STUFF DELETED

You know, I really get tired of this.  I have asked the same question of
the net a couple of times and *never* got a response from anyone on the
subject of PKUNZIP.  I still don't have it.  I don't have ftp capability
and many others that make these requests don't have it either.  I have tried
many times to access this file via email according to instructions on the
net and *never* got a response back from the so-called server.  Worse, I never
even get it bounced back.  It just goes into the proverbial bit bucket.
As far as BBS's go,....  I don't know any local BBS's, I don't run DOS,
and I haven't had the time to try to fix ecu3 to run on my SCO XENIX 2.3GT
OS.
I think the poster was quite correct in asking, as he probably won't get a
reply anyway.  If he does, I would appreciate it if he would send it to
me as well.
NOTE:  If I hadn't tried at least a dozen time to get it for myself and
made requests to the net for it as well, I wouldn't be so upset.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/13/91)

In article <282600002@adaptx1> neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:

>You know, I really get tired of this.  I have asked the same question of

That's okay, we get tired of posts like yours, too.

>the net a couple of times and *never* got a response from anyone on the
>subject of PKUNZIP.  I still don't have it.  I don't have ftp capability
>and many others that make these requests don't have it either.  I have tried
>many times to access this file via email according to instructions on the
>net and *never* got a response back from the so-called server.  Worse, I never
>even get it bounced back.  It just goes into the proverbial bit bucket.

Funny, the server works fine for me and thousands of others.  Too bad.

>As far as BBS's go,....  I don't know any local BBS's, I don't run DOS,
>and I haven't had the time to try to fix ecu3 to run on my SCO XENIX 2.3GT
>OS.
>I think the poster was quite correct in asking, as he probably won't get a
>reply anyway.  If he does, I would appreciate it if he would send it to
>me as well.

I suggest you read the netiquette postings in news.announce.newusers and
then consider revising your personal opinion.  Not only does it request
that you NOT issue general "send-me" requests, it also advises others to
ignore such requests.  This may be why you have yet to be successful.

Alternatively, rather than ask for copies of the program, ask for people
to volunteer to send it to you, pending acknowledgement.  Ie.  they simply
mail to you saying that they have it, and you pick one whom you would like
to have send it to you, based on network proximity.

For example, email a request to me, and I'll be happy to send it to you.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (02/14/91)

In article <282600002@adaptx1> neese@adaptx1.UUCP writes:
> I have tried many times to access this file via email according to
> instructions on the net and *never* got a response back from the
> so-called server.  Worse, I never even get it bounced back.

I repeat my offer, frequently posted in this forum:  Send e-mail to
my SIMTEL20 address below and I will tell you the proper path to use
to access the mail servers.  I need to receive a message from you in
order to see what path it took to get to me, and to see if your mailer
might be munging the headers.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]