[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for person advertising free sales tracking software

rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) (01/08/91)

Some months ago, someone offered a free copy of a sales contact management
package. I replied, but have heard nothing. Can anyone remember what I'm
talking about, and know how I can get in touch again?

Thanks

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan8.013801.29847@portia.Stanford.EDU>, rstanton@portia.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) writes:
> Some months ago, someone offered a free copy of a sales contact management
> package. I replied, but have heard nothing. Can anyone remember what I'm
> talking about, and know how I can get in touch again?
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard Stanton
> pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

Me thinks we've been toyed with. I e-mailed AND called just to make sure they
got me on the list. The response was an underwelming 0. No, I can't find
the name, address or number either.

Ron
--
Ron Beck                                                      __           __
AT&T		Voice:404-873-7717                           |__}   /_\   |__}

DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) (02/06/91)

No, Ron, we haven't been toyed with. (If we're talking about the same thing)
We have just been victims of the new American work ethic.

It isn't sales tracking so much as communications/call back tracking.

I too called that company.  They gave me the name of a local company
to call.  From the local company I got squat too.  The limited time
only free "personal" version is a crippleware version of a comercial
product with many more features. The crippled ("personal") version is
OK but would be GREATLY enhanced by being a pop-up TSR.
SURPRISE!!  The $$$ version can go TSR and more.

My boss' boss (who lives in NH) was given another "local" distributer
and THEY actually came through.  It was a limited time promotional
thing and, during that time frame, they encouraged sharing it with
friends.  So even though the bozos that I called did nothing.  I got it.

I guess that the local distributors were less than motivated to spend
time/money on potential future sales.  (I guess they don't believe in
advertising.)  I suspect that the company would be interested to know
that they got very limited cooperation from their distributors.

The dialer/call back queue comes with the company as a default entry:

Automated Support Voice Lib.
Remote Control International
Publishers of TeleMagic Softw.
5928 Pascal Ct.
Carlsbad, CA  92008
Fax:   1-619-431-4006
Phone: 1-619-431-4270   (Automated help line)

The following text was clipped from their displayed text: (Thank you Windows)

"This copy of the "Personal" version is free ONLY during a
special promotion in the period between October 29, 1990
and December 25, 1990.  This promotion is intended to show
businesspeople just how easy it is to use TeleMagic, and
to acquaint them with our company and the other versions of
TeleMagic (the ones we SELL) which can help them in their
business."

S.O.P.: I do not work for them or even know them, etc.
        My views are not Wang's views, etc.

rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) (02/06/91)

In article <b0eask.9ea@wang.com>, DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) writes:
> No, Ron, we haven't been toyed with. (If we're talking about the same thing)
> We have just been victims of the new American work ethic.
>
> I too called that company.  They gave me the name of a local company
> to call.  From the local company I got squat too.  The limited time
> only free "personal" version is a crippleware version of a comercial
> product with many more features. The crippled ("personal") version is
> OK but would be GREATLY enhanced by being a pop-up TSR.
> SURPRISE!!  The $$$ version can go TSR and more.

Stuff deleted....

> Automated Support Voice Lib.
> Remote Control International
> Publishers of TeleMagic Softw.
> 5928 Pascal Ct.
> Carlsbad, CA  92008
> Fax:   1-619-431-4006
> Phone: 1-619-431-4270   (Automated help line)
>
>More stuff deleted...

Thanks for the response, David. I support a lot of AT&T marketing people and
evaluate various packages. I definitely won't recommend a company that can't
stand behind it's own promotions.

Ron
--

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb6.135643.14467@cbnewsk.att.com>, rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com (ronald.a.beck) writes:
> In article <b0eask.9ea@wang.com>, DAVE.JENKINS@OFFICE.WANG.COM (David E. Jenkins) writes:
>> No, Ron, we haven't been toyed with. (If we're talking about the same thing)
>> We have just been victims of the new American work ethic.
>>
>> I too called that company.  They gave me the name of a local company
>> to call.  From the local company I got squat too.  The limited time
>> only free "personal" version is a crippleware version of a comercial
>> product with many more features. The crippled ("personal") version is
>> OK but would be GREATLY enhanced by being a pop-up TSR.
>> SURPRISE!!  The $$$ version can go TSR and more.
>>
> Stuff deleted....
>>
>> Automated Support Voice Lib.
>> Remote Control International
>> Publishers of TeleMagic Softw.
>> 5928 Pascal Ct.
>> Carlsbad, CA  92008
>> Fax:   1-619-431-4006
>> Phone: 1-619-431-4270   (Automated help line)
>>
>>More stuff deleted...
>>
> Thanks for the response, David. I support a lot of AT&T marketing people and
> evaluate various packages. I definitely won't recommend a company that can't
> stand behind it's own promotions.
>
> Ron
> --
> Ron Beck                                                      __           __
> AT&T		Voice:404-873-7717                           |__}   /_\   |__}
> Atlanta, Ga.	ATTMail !rabeck    rabeck@cbnewsk.att.com    |  \. |   |. |__}
> Sorry, no cute quips, just a ************** Standard Disclaimer **************

Ron,

You will be ill serving your employer and your user community if you
respond to the network attitude that everything ought to be free by
ignoring Telemagic.  There are several pieces of misinformation in
the postings I quoted above.

The second FREE offer (the only one I saw) contained:

+Telemagic, from Remote Control International, is having its 4th quarter
+marketing blitz, and as a direct result, they are giving away a free personal
+edition (1.0) of their software.  I work for a vertical systems integration
+house here in Houston, and we are an authorized reseller of this software.  You
+can't get it from Babbages or Egghead discount software.  You can only get it
+from an authorized Telemagic Reseller, like the company I work for.

That says the offer is limited time.  It says it is a special version.
It also says the person posting the offer is far enough removed so
the source of the offer is not responsible for anything he might
say.

I received a demo of the personal version in a Christmas card from
TTI Software of Phoenix in response to my email to the original poster.
The demo says a less limited personal version will be available
beginning of 1991 for $200.  That is cheap (DIRT CHEAP) for the
productivity increase Telemagic offers to the people who need it.

The people who have use for Telemagic have real money involved in the
things they will use Telemagic for.  If you have AT&T employees who
chase customers and prospects and communicate with a few hundred
customers and prospects you need to explore the question, "Will an
AT&T representative using Telemagic generate enough more sales using
Telemagic than not using Telemagic so that AT&T should buy Telemagic?"

I think the answer is that any representative who gets paid on commission
would quickly increase his weekly commissions by more than the price
of the professional version of Telemagic if he used it effectively.

In other words, any commissioned sales representative should ignore
myopic software evaluators and buy their own copy of a tool like
Telemagic because it hurts their income too much to get along
without such a tool.

Note the following additional quote from the original (second)
posting, to underline that the whining quoted at the top is
based on misrepresentation of fact:

+There are other formats available in the Professional Version:
+  Unix/Xenix, IBM AS/400, MSDOS Networks  (Please note we are not giving
+	these away, jyst the msdos and mac)

+If you would like it a bit sooner (as I have a two day delay via USENET),
+please feel free to call the office at 1-800-468-5507 and ask for me (Bill
+Sanders), or if I'm not there, tell the person you are affiliated with USENET
+and that you would like the FREE Personal Edition of Telemagic.  This promotion
+will be going on until the end of December, and after that time, the price for
+the personal version is $195.00.  The regular price for the professional
+version is $495.00

+William Sanders, University of Houston
+Electrical Engineering Student at Large

(Yes, I asserted above that a tool like Telemagic should be worth
$26000 per year to a commissioned sales person.  To realize the
full benefit requires refining sales technique to take advantage
of the information it makes available.  I'd be glad to discuss
particulars.)

dan herrick
dlh Performance Marketing
POBox 1419
Mentor, Ohio 44061
(216)974-9637
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (02/14/91)

  [ debate about merits of Telemagic deleted ]

For the record, I, too, called Telemagic and was referred to a
local distributor.  This person knew nothing about the free offer,
and said he would contact Telemagic and "get back to me."  I
heard nothing, and within the next few weeks left two follow-up
messages to this local distributor here in the L.A. area
but still heard nothing.

No matter how great their software might be, I will now think
twice about dealing (or attempting to deal) with them again.

(Yes, I am aware that this may be an inappropriate group, but,
 as we used to say in grade school:  "_He" started it!"  :-) )

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

bruceb@informix.com (Bruce Barr) (02/15/91)

Daniel,

My problem with this promotion is total Lack of response to my inquiries during
the offer period.  The first time I heard about the product was from a magazine ad.  I called and got a local number of their 'representative'.  This I called many times and finally got through and got my request in.  I never got anything
so I can't comment on how functional the product might be.  I then found the
representatives on the Net and made a request to them.  Also no software.
This was not my most pressing problem and I hadn't really considered the total
lack of response until the messages began surfacing of other peoples
problems/complaints.  All I can say is the company has put forth time/money/
effort to make this promotion happen, but, as far as I can testify, will re-
ceive NO return on this investment if my story is typical.

Just my $.02

Cheers,
BB