[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problems using uudecode from starter kit

kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Troy Kammerdiener) (02/14/91)

A helpful net citizen put me in touch of an anonomous archive where I could
get copies of BISON and FLEX, many thanks.  I had a problem in porting to
my system however.  My file transfer protocol from university computer where
I have net access to my PC is Kermit, which seems to change binary files.  So
to get around the problem, I anonomous ftp'd from the source to my university
computer, then uuencoded the files (which were in ZIP format) and kermited
the uuencoded files to my system, where I applied the uudecode found in the
starter kit for this newsgroup.

This solution worked just fine for the BISON file.  When I tried to apply it
to the FLEX file, however, the uudecode on my system gave the message:

   End not found.

thus failing to decode the entire file.  I checked the uuencoded file, and it
has the standard begin (with the new filename) as well as the standard end
line.  Does anyone know what may be happening here, and how I can fix it?
Why would the BISON file (over 4 times as long!) work, and the FLEX file not?
The same methods and programs were used for each file.

				     Thanks,
				     Troy Kammerdiener
				     kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (02/15/91)

kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Troy Kammerdiener) writes:
>to get around the problem, I anonomous ftp'd from the source to my university
>computer, then uuencoded the files (which were in ZIP format) and kermited
>the uuencoded files to my system, where I applied the uudecode found in the
>starter kit for this newsgroup.
>
>This solution worked just fine for the BISON file.  When I tried to apply it
>to the FLEX file, however, the uudecode on my system gave the message:
>
>   End not found.

Troy, edit the uuencoded file so the first line says:

begin 644

instead of whatever begin statement it has now.  My guess is that your
present file has four digits there.  The uudecode program gets
confused by a four digit number.  I have reported the problem to the
author David Kirschbaum and expect an update shortly.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Troy Kammerdiener) (02/16/91)

In article <6148@rex.cs.tulane.edu> kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Troy Kammerdiener) writes:

>My file transfer protocol from university computer where
>I have net access to my PC is Kermit, which seems to change binary files.  So
>to get around the problem, I anonomous ftp'd from the source to my university
>computer, then uuencoded the files (which were in ZIP format) and kermited
>the uuencoded files to my system, where I applied the uudecode found in the
>starter kit for this newsgroup.
>
>This solution worked just fine for the BISON file.  When I tried to apply it
>to the FLEX file, however, the uudecode on my system gave the message:
>
>   End not found.

I received several possible answers to this question:

     1) Some uudecodes are unhappy if lines are less than 60 characters,
	so make sure and pad w/ spaces if necessary.

     2) Sometimes file transfer strips newlines (CR/LF) from the uuencoded
	file, which are needed by the uudecode.  Put them back.

     3) Some uuencodes put a 4-digit code after the begin, but the starter
	kit uudecode expects a 3-digit code.  Replace it with 644 (it's
	generally unused by PC uudecodes anyway).

None of them seem to apply to my situation, but the question is unimportant
to me now, since a helpful netter alerted me check the file type on my unix
kermit.  A warning to the wise -- Procomm Plus's kermit protocol is very
forgiving, and will merrily do a download (or upload) even if the file types
of the two kermits do not match.  For zips, zoos, arcs, and the like, make
sure both kermits are set to binary file type.

Thanks for all the help.

					    Sincerely,
					    Troy Kammerdiener
					    kammerdi@rex.cs.tulane.edu
--
Troy Kammerdiener            /| "Joy is in the ears that hear..."
Dept. of Computer Science   / |                  -- Saltheart Foamfollower --