[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Omega?

jwisdom@ais.org (Joseph Wisdom) (02/07/91)

	Are there any PC versions of the game Omega?  And, if so, where
could they be obtained from?  Thanks in advance.

				-jw

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (02/07/91)

In article <WJ!-VDA@irie.ais.org>, jwisdom@ais (Joseph Wisdom) writes:
>Are there any PC versions of the game Omega?  And, if so, where
>could they be obtained from?

Not only are you in the wrong newsgroup (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d is for
discussing the binaries that were posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc), but
you obviously didn't read the monthly Frequently Asked Questions file.

Sending the message `lookup /omega/i' to the comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc mail
server would have told you:

Programs on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu as of 90-04-23 matching your search criterion:

Directory /E/GAMES
OMEGA.ZIP     No title

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb7.050344.20727@agate.berkeley.edu> raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) writes:
>In article <WJ!-VDA@irie.ais.org>, jwisdom@ais (Joseph Wisdom) writes:
>>Are there any PC versions of the game Omega?  And, if so, where
>>could they be obtained from?
>
>Not only are you in the wrong newsgroup (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d is for
>discussing the binaries that were posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc), but
>you obviously didn't read the monthly Frequently Asked Questions file.

As much as I would hate to disagree with the hard-working moderators,
I think c.b.i.p.d _should_ be open to general inquiries such as the
above Omega question.  Due to historical reasons, The Net seems to be
dominated by Un*x oriented topics.  As such, it seems a shame that
any MS-DOS specific islands such as c.b.i.p or c.b.i.p.d should have
such restrictions.  Furthermore, there seems to be an assumption that
postings here are for a core of readers who actively follow every
post to c.b.i.p.  I think a more realistic model is that there are
many people who never read c.b.i.p., but suddenly realize they need
a specific shareware or pubdom utility.  Since most such major MS-DOS
items seem to get posted here, c.b.i.p.d. would seem a reasonable
place to post such a question, especially for sites (such as ours)
that have no FTP access and are still hunting blindly for more
mail server sites.  (Due in part to sys admin's who seem to view
access to USENET as "play" that detracts from "work", IMO)

>Sending the message `lookup /omega/i' to the comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc mail
>server would have told you:

What is the USENET address for such a server?

>Programs on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu as of 90-04-23 matching your search criterion:
>
>Directory /E/GAMES
>OMEGA.ZIP     No title

O.K., fine.  Tell us more about such mail server sites.  I am now able
to access the SIMTEL archives via VM1.NoDak.EDU  (or another one at RPI)
but still have _no_ mail access to either c.b.i.p archives or the
various comp.sources archives.  As much as I love The Net, figuring out
how to use it often seems exactly analagous to a text based adventure
game.  If you don't have the $50 book "The Matrix" you fumble around
by trial and error slowly learning more as you go along, often passing
along tips to fellow users.  Before I ramble on more, I guess my main
point is that common mail server sites for other items should also be
included in the c.b.i.p. FAQ file.  (Such as the grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
site referenced above.)  Yes, it would bloat the FAQ somewhat, but it
might also reduce the amount of "inapporpriate" postings here, such
as this one.

Sorry for my bandwidth, but I suspect my concerns are shared by others.
(Especially for those, like myself, who are attempting to master The
Net alone and with little support or encouragement from the local
site Masters.)  I don't mean to be critical of the excellent material
that is posted here, nor of the hard work by the many people behind the
scenes.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

In article <1991Feb11.180623.26068@dbase.A-T.COM> tomr@dbase.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
| In article <1991Feb7.050344.20727@agate.berkeley.edu> raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) writes:
| >In article <WJ!-VDA@irie.ais.org>, jwisdom@ais (Joseph Wisdom) writes:
| >>Are there any PC versions of the game Omega?  And, if so, where
| >>could they be obtained from?
| >
| >Not only are you in the wrong newsgroup (comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d is for
| >discussing the binaries that were posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc), but
| >you obviously didn't read the monthly Frequently Asked Questions file.
|
| As much as I would hate to disagree with the hard-working moderators,

  The note you got was not from the moderator, hard working or
otherwise. At least not of this group. I did not send you a note because
your first posting didn't strike me as being as for off topic as some,
and I was being benevolent that day...

  This posting is totally not about PC binaries, and discussions about
newsgroups don't belong here, they belong in news.groups, where you can
post and find out what real invective is. The first post was marginally
related to the topics of this group, the next was is not at all.

                 You asked for it... THE FORM LETTER!!

  This discussion does not relate to binaries in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
Please move the discussion to another group where it is appropriate
and will get a better readership.

Suggested groups:

  comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
  comp.os.msdos.misc
  comp.os.msdos.apps
  comp.os.msdos.programmer
  comp.windows.ms

  This is not a flame, it is a polite request from the moderator of
c.b.i.p. Let's try to keep c.b.i.p.d on topic.

	Thanks.