[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Less for IBM/PC wanted

ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Andrew Vellnagel) (02/15/91)

	Could someone please point me in the direction of finding a good
PD/Shareware version of LESS for an IBM/PC.  (Or for that matter any other
UN*X utilities).  As I am guilty of hardly ever reading the news databases
could you please E-mail me any responses.  I will summarize the responses
and post them to this news group.

	Andrew Vellnagel.

Internet: ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                  Phone: +61 7 365 4115
  Postal: Andrew Vellnagel, Prentice Computer Centre
          The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4067.
--

Internet: ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                  Phone: +61 7 365 4114
  Postal: Andrew Vellnagel, Prentice Computer Centre

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb14.214100.5924@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Andrew Vellnagel) writes:

>	Could someone please point me in the direction of finding a good
>PD/Shareware version of LESS for an IBM/PC.

I have source & .EXE for LESS version 62, to which a few enhancements have
since been made.  I'd be willing to place the .EXE for it (just over 20K)
somewhere for you, or perhaps even mail it out, along with the help file.

This version works fine with any size screen I have tried.. 25x80,43x80,50x80.

LESS is also available from Simtel20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
LESS123X.ZIP  B   69004  900316  File viewer/pager w/search and format features
LESS61.ARC    B  178064  870415  Display text file warch
TCLESS.ARC    B   36147  880424  TurboC version of Unix LESS, better than MORE

--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (02/18/91)

In article <4032@bnr-rsc.UUCP> mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.214100.5924@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Andrew Vellnagel) writes:
>>
>>	Could someone please point me in the direction of finding a good
>>PD/Shareware version of LESS for an IBM/PC.

Of course the real question is why bother when LIST (by Vern Buerg
sp?) is so much better and seems to be smaller if the ZIP file sizes
are an indicator. Also available from the same place...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/20/91)

In article <3525@d75.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>>In article <... > ccandrew@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Andrew Vellnagel) writes:
>>>
>>>	Could someone please point me in the direction of finding a good
>>>PD/Shareware version of LESS for an IBM/PC.
>
>Of course the real question is why bother when LIST (by Vern Buerg
>sp?) is so much better and seems to be smaller if the ZIP file sizes
>are an indicator. Also available from the same place...

There are numerous personal reasons why someone might prefer LESS over LIST,
and vica-versa.  It is not the sort of debate we need to go into here.

The reason for the vast difference in ZIP file sizes is that most versions
of LESS include FULL source code, unlike LIST, which does not include source.

The LESS that I use, with HLP and MAN files, fits into a 24K archive if the
source is omitted.  The executable is just over 21K after LZEXE'd, or about
57K without LZEXE.