[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need to read CBM disks on IBM...

w165045@rosie.ucdavis.edu (02/19/91)

I am about to upgrade from a Commodore 128 to an IBM AT, and would like to
be able to take all my word processing files with me.  The hard part is
transfering them from CBM format disks (GCR) to IBM disks (MFM).  I know
that there exist programs for the C-128 that will read/write IBM disks,
but I would prefer the program to run on the IBM and read the CBM disks
(the Commodore program runs SLOWLY).

Does anyone know of a program that will perform this feat?

ZB

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/19/91)

> In article <10562@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, w165045@rosie.ucdavis.edu writes:
>>
>> I am about to upgrade from a Commodore 128 to an IBM AT, and would like to
>> be able to take all my word processing files with me.  The hard part is
>> transfering them from CBM format disks (GCR) to IBM disks (MFM).  I know
>> that there exist programs for the C-128 that will read/write IBM disks,
>> but I would prefer the program to run on the IBM and read the CBM disks
>> (the Commodore program runs SLOWLY).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a program that will perform this feat?
>>
>> ZB

> No way. The standard floppy controllers in any 'good' computer
> can only read FM/MFM. Commodore's formats require special designs.
> I'm even amazed that one can acces MS-DOS (MFM) floppies in
> a Commodore drive/controller.

That's not surprising.  The Amiga disk controller reads/writes entire
tracks of data at a time.  The MFM encoding/decoding is done in
software on the Amiga, using the machine's bit-blit coprocessor to
speed the process.  Since most of the process is handled in software,
the system can easily handle other formats.

m.
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Never forget what gossips men are, and how they love to feel
 superior to so-and-so who `is having trouble with his wife.'"

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

krey@i30fs1.ira.uka.de (Andreas Krey) (02/19/91)

In article <10562@aggie.ucdavis.edu>, w165045@rosie.ucdavis.edu writes:

> I am about to upgrade from a Commodore 128 to an IBM AT, and would like to
> be able to take all my word processing files with me.  The hard part is
> transfering them from CBM format disks (GCR) to IBM disks (MFM).  I know
> that there exist programs for the C-128 that will read/write IBM disks,
> but I would prefer the program to run on the IBM and read the CBM disks
> (the Commodore program runs SLOWLY).
>
> Does anyone know of a program that will perform this feat?
>
> ZB

No way. The standard floppy controllers in any 'good' computer
can only read FM/MFM. Commodore's formats require special designs.
I'm even amazed that one can acces MS-DOS (MFM) floppies in
a Commodore drive/controller.

Andy

.signature: No such file or directory
.signature: Still no such file or directory

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (02/20/91)

In article <10562@aggie.ucdavis.edu> w165045@rosie.ucdavis.edu () writes:
>I am about to upgrade from a Commodore 128 to an IBM AT, and would like to
>be able to take all my word processing files with me.  The hard part is

About the easiest way to do this is to upload the files from a Commodore to
some place and then download them to your IBM.  Or, if you have them both
available, tranfer the files by direct serial link.  I'm not sure if that is
so easy with Commodores.  But you are sunk as far as trying to directly read
the disks.

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III