[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Asking advice on Nortons 5.0

) (02/12/91)

Can someone who has Nortons 5.0 tell me if it's worth buying?  I currently have
PC Tools 6.0 and saw an advertisement in which I can get the Nortons upgrade for
$59 + tax + s/h.  How good is it?  In what respects is it similar to Spinrite?
Thanks for the help...

| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) (02/14/91)

ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:

>Can someone who has Nortons 5.0 tell me if it's worth buying?  I currently have
>PC Tools 6.0 and saw an advertisement in which I can get the Nortons upgrade for

I own Norton 5.0 and prefer it over PCTools.  There is a program similar to
Spinrite called CALIBRAT and has at least one advantage over Spinrite - it
works on my IDE drive....  (IDE drives have a built in read cache that will
cause Spinrite to puke).  I have not experienced any trouble with Norton 5.0
at all.

  Mark _E_ Amos        | University of Arkansas Computer Science Engineering
  mamos@uafhp.uark.edu |
  mea1@engr.uark.edu   | (emphasise the Computer Engineering please)
"Man's mind, when stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original
 dimension."				              -Oliver Wendell Holmes

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (02/14/91)

In article <12385.27b6f0b4@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
   Can someone who has Nortons 5.0 tell me if it's worth buying?  I currently
   have PC Tools 6.0 and saw an advertisement in which I can get the Nortons
   upgrade for $59 + tax + s/h.  How good is it?  In what respects is it
   similar to Spinrite?

I did not like it very much.  They got rid of several useful utilities found
in 4.5 like DS and VL ("functionality has been combined into other programs",
but I don't want it combined, I prefer to use the commands directly without
having to wade through a sea of menus) and they made the commands even more
WIMPy (with a fancy demi-graphical mouse cursor and all that).  I believe the
Disk Doctor is about on par with the PC Tools repair utilities.  I don't think
it has SpinRite-like interleave change functionality (to tell the truth, I
haven't bothered leafing through the manuals...)

In my opinion, they are losing it.  Someone said Mr. Norton sold the company ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

dhf@linus.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (02/15/91)

In article <mamos.666487742@uafhp> mamos@uafhp.uark.edu (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:

>I own Norton 5.0 and prefer it over PCTools.  There is a program similar to
>Spinrite called CALIBRAT and has at least one advantage over Spinrite - it
>works on my IDE drive....  (IDE drives have a built in read cache that will
>cause Spinrite to puke).  I have not experienced any trouble with Norton 5.0
>at all.

I have Norton 5.0, and CALIBRAT won't work on my sector-translating 1:1
controller (1 logical sector = 1024 bytes). Recently at a local software
outlet I looked at a recent SpinRite, and the package had a printed notation
that SR now works on sector-translating and a few other odd controller types.
Anyone know more about this?

dhf@linus.mitre org

jan@enea.se (Jan Wester) (02/18/91)

Sorry Timo Salmi but this is an answer to a question made in this newsgroup.
Therefore I take it here.

And I have scanned comp.msdos.apps to see if it is a newsgroup for dos
applications really.

There were very few articles discussing commercial products and there was
a discussion about 4dos which is partially shareware, delievered in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d so I think it is very floating what belongs here
and there to people.

I think it would be better to have ONE group for this!

But over to Norton 5.0. Yes I have tried it and I agree with Otto J. Makela
The principle of combining several programs into one is not good and this
menuing shit....

I think of ts which in Norton 5.0 is useless.
I want ts to work like grep in unix and I have up to now been using both.
I use grep when I want to see which files are interesting for the string and
ts when I want to locate where in the file the interesting part is.
I do not want to have this over-coat of going in and out of several programs
to this.

I have a suggestion, sell Norton Utilities in two versions, Norton Utilities
and Norton Utilities Advanced.

And let the difference be that Norton Utilities is for the menu freaks and
Norton Utilities Advanced is for us programmers.

And why is lp gone in version 5.0 ? And if you want it you have to save lp
from release 4.5
But what about all that people that do not have 4.5 ????????

#                                                                        #
# JAN WESTER                           E-mail address : jan@enea.se      #
# ENEA DATA                                                              #
# Stockholm Sweden                                                       #

In article <2639@enea.se> jan@enea.se (Jan Wester) writes:
| Sorry Timo Salmi but this is an answer to a question made in this newsgroup.
| Therefore I take it here.

  In spite of being asked to take this elsewhere by me, and I guess from
the opening line by Timo, this guy thinks that his answer is so
important that all of us should read it here.

  Anyone wishing to do a good deed for the day, please send him a note
and explain what this group is for.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX