[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] From: addresses

cctr132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald, CSC, Uni. of Canterbury, NZ) (02/22/91)

In article <2469@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>,
bvandepe@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au.ua.oz (Commander Straker) writes:
> From article <1991Feb19.235821.23711@thebox.uucp>, by rogerc@thebox.uucp
(Roger Conley):
>> Where is point 2.0 on simtel20. Was it just recently posted there, or is
>> it some other place besides msdos.editors?
>
> Since I asked the same question last week and was emailed the info, I'll post
> it for all to see. Perhaps in future posters should supply the directory path
> for these files and not just what machine they are on.

Nothing personal "Commander Straker", as this applies to several other netters
(I suspect a growing number!), but perhaps in future posters could ensure
the "From:" line in their posts contains a valid Internet address. If you want
the advice or help of people on this net at least make it easy for them to
reply.  When my mail reply to your request bounced I decided you obviously
didn't want/need my help and deleted the message - it was my third bounce from
replying to News postings in 24 hours. I'm following up to this message simply
because it is the first post from any of the people who had bad mail addresses
that day.

If it is absolutely impossible to arrange for a valid address to appear in the
"From:" line (read: there is a very high probability your site has incompetent
network managers) at least put the info about your return address being
different from your "From:" address *at the beginning* of your post (not so
important if whole message is shorter than approx 17 lines).  On many systems
the only way to reply to News whose "From:" address is "incorrect", is to
extract the message to a file, exit News and then fire up Mail.

> BTW, if you can ftp from wuarchive.wustl.edu, you will find it much faster.
> The msdos/editors directory is under the mirrors directory which in turn is in
> the root directory.

As I have written to many Aussies, one of whom posted a message here yesterday
to let the world know, the best place for Australian and NZ netters to get
SIMTEL stuff from is sol.deakin.edu.AU (yep - an Oz SIMTEL mirror).  They also
mirror CHYDE/GARBO and one other I think.  In the name "edu" can be replaced
with "oz" and the IP address is 128.184.1.1.  (As I am writing sol appears to
be down - 100% packet loss when ping'ed.)

> ie : /mirrors/msdos/editors/pt20*.zip are your files.

At sol this translates to pub/PC/simtel-20/editors (its a Unix box, so watch
the case of "PC").

Regards,

 Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z.
 Internet: n.fitzgerald@csc.canterbury.ac.nz        Phone: (64)(3) 642-337