[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] printing .tex files in pt20man.zip

jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) (02/22/91)

Hello;
    I hope I don't get flammed for this request but this is the only
newsgroup that I have seen the point editor discussed in.  What I want
to know is what I need to print the .tex files in pt20man.zip.  I have
an 286 machine with plenty of disk space available on a temporary basis
(I would print it out once and delete it).  I would be printing it on
an HP Laserjet II printer, which has a HP Pro Collection Cartridge.

Thanks in advance
Joe White
jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil

ap@deimos.caltech.edu (Alain Picard) (02/23/91)

In article <6048@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) writes...
>Hello;
>    I hope I don't get flammed for this request but this is the only
>newsgroup that I have seen the point editor discussed in.  What I want
>to know is what I need to print the .tex files in pt20man.zip.  I have
>an 286 machine with plenty of disk space available on a temporary basis
>(I would print it out once and delete it).  I would be printing it on
>an HP Laserjet II printer, which has a HP Pro Collection Cartridge.

You need TeX, the LaTeX macro package, and a program to turn the
dvi (device independent) to a file which your HP will recognize
(typically called dvi2hp or something...)
TeX and it's fonts will take up 5 Meg, the dvi2hp about the
same (I'm NOT kidding! sorry).
If you have access to a Sun or Vax that has TeX, that's far and
away the easiest and fastest way of getting your printout.

						Alain Picard

Does your printer print Postscript files? If so, I could mail
you the ptuser.ps and ptman.ps files.

mark@urz.unibas.ch (02/23/91)

In article <6048@oasys.dt.navy.mil>, jwhite@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (White) writes:
> Hello;
>  What I want
> to know is what I need to print the .tex files in pt20man.zip.  I have
> an 286 machine with plenty of disk space available on a temporary basis
> (I would print it out once and delete it).  I would be printing it on
> an HP Laserjet II printer, which has a HP Pro Collection Cartridge.

	If you DON'T want to install TEX on your system and DON'T have
a friend who has one installed than:
	ask anyone in the NET who has both TEX and the files you want
to print to translate them to POSTSCRIPT format and E-mail to you.
That you can print with a POSTSCRIPT emulator.

							G.Ma'rk