[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] LHA .lzh archiver revisited including patches

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/12/91)

Mon 11-Feb-91: Acquired /pc/pd2/lha205.exe update of LHa .lzh test
version with a patch /pc/pd2/bdiff.lzh to impose an English user
interface.  (Apply lha_e.bat to patch).  Unfortunately there already
was a different version of lha205.exe in the /pc/pd2 directory (with
some English documentation).  Therefore I'll take the liberty of
renaming this new arrival as lha205j.exe.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

In article <1991Feb11.194814.10674@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

| interface.  (Apply lha_e.bat to patch).  Unfortunately there already
| was a different version of lha205.exe in the /pc/pd2 directory (with
| some English documentation).  Therefore I'll take the liberty of
| renaming this new arrival as lha205j.exe.

  Note that the lha205j.exe version has a lot more documentation.
However, the lha205.exe version has it's mimited information in English
rather than Japanese. The working part seems the same.

  I'm doing an evaluation of archivers, and there should be some very
comprehensive and interesting results available soon.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (02/17/91)

In article <3185@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Feb11.194814.10674@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>
>| interface.  (Apply lha_e.bat to patch).  Unfortunately there already
>| was a different version of lha205.exe in the /pc/pd2 directory (with
>| some English documentation).  Therefore I'll take the liberty of
>| renaming this new arrival as lha205j.exe.
>
>  Note that the lha205j.exe version has a lot more documentation.
>However, the lha205.exe version has it's mimited information in English
>rather than Japanese. The working part seems the same.

   Yes.  To repeat for general information.  The renamed lha205j.exe
and it's patch to English bdiff.lzh originate from the University of
Tokyo, whence I got it by anonymous ftp.
   There seems to be several incarnations of this _beta_test_
version around in various BBSes under the same name lha205.exe.
Some have been already patched.  Some have Japanese documentation,
some English.  This plethora of combinations is, of course, an
inevitable consequence of releasing a non-English version of such a
popular utility.  But that seems to have been the author's choice.
   Incidentally have there ever been versions of lharc (or lha) that
have not been called test versions?

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (02/24/91)

In article <3185@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  I'm doing an evaluation of archivers, and there should be some very
>comprehensive and interesting results available soon.

I would be more interested in the latest version of Zoo or getting my
hands on Zoox (multi-volume Zoo).

D. Art Dederick (714)966-3618 {ccicpg,hplabs,oliveb,spsd,zardoz}!felix!art