[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Filename Completion for PC's

Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) (02/13/91)

> In article <16648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs178waa@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Vegetable Man)
> writes:
>
> Has anybody written a program to emulate the UNIX file completion
> utility for DOS?  I imagine it would have to be a TSR, but I
> suppose that's not the only solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Once again the definitive answer is *4dos*. Along with all of the other great
features that this 99.99% MS-DOS (and PC-DOS) compatible command processor
does...it does filename completion.

Note -- the filename completion is not an exact emulation of UNIX. In UNIX, if
there are similiar files in the path, the filename will be completed as far as
the names are the same. The user then is forced to remember what the rest of
the filename is. In 4dos, the computer guesses with the first complete filename
in its path. If the filename is not correct, then one simply has to key in
[F9], and 4dos will guess again. I could go on, but I think you should discover
4dos for yourself.

-- bart (not simpson)

Disclaimer: navahoe -- I am exactly who I am and I speak that!
rsoft!mindlink!Bartholomew_Siemens@van-bc.UUCP

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (02/14/91)

article <16648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs178waa@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Vegetable Man) writes:
>Has anybody written a program to emulate the UNIX file completion
>utility for DOS?  I imagine it would have to be a TSR, but I
>suppose that's not the only solution.

Try 4DOS, shareware, available on most archive sites.
(I believe one of the function keys does file completion).

-- budi

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (02/14/91)

In article <16648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs178waa@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Vegetable Man) writes:
<Has anybody written a program to emulate the UNIX file completion
<utility for DOS?  I imagine it would have to be a TSR, but I
<suppose that's not the only solution.

The absolute best (IMHO of course!) answer to this is ANARKEY 3.0
(shareware) by Steve Calwas.  It also supports command recall and piles
of other keyboard related functions.  In particular, version 3.0 includes
a MEGA key that guesses what you are trying to do and does it for you.
Very nice (and usually guesses correctly.. use other keys if you don't like
this).

Fully configurable, and worth the $25 shareware fee (or was that $30?).
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (02/15/91)

In article <4794@mindlink.UUCP> Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) writes:

>Once again the definitive answer is *4dos*. Along with all of the other great
>features that this 99.99% MS-DOS (and PC-DOS) compatible command processor
>does...it does filename completion.

>-- bart (not simpson)

Does anybody have a way to change the 4DOS file completion key?
I hate to move my fingers away from keyboard for file completion.
Switching it to the TAB key will be the best for me.

Thanks.

Bryan so

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (02/18/91)

Bryan> Does anybody have a way to change the 4DOS file completion key?
Bryan> I hate to move my fingers away from keyboard for file completion.
Bryan> Switching it to the TAB key will be the best for me.

  At e.g. simtel, there's a nice little program called 4map, which can
remap keys in a *very* flexible way. It's located in msdos.sysutl, but
I can't remember the name (probably 4map<something>.zip).

  I made it use emacs keybindings and though this isn't a.source.group,
I though I'd append it to this posting - somebody might find it
useful.

  Enjoy,
    Richard

-----cut--------------------------------------------------
/*
 *    This file contains key mappings to make 4DOS use those of the EMACS
 *  editor. The entries that have a remark requires special attention
 *  as the scan codes from my customized keyboard driver probably doesn't
 *  match yours.
 *    The only non-intuitive additional rebindings I have made, are these:
 *
 *	esc k		=>	delete to beginning of line (^Home)
 *	ctrl_w		=>	kill line (^R)
 *	ctrl_q		=>	don't interpret next key (Alt-255)
 *	ctrl_y		=>	yank previous line (F3)
 *
 *			30-11-90, Richard Flamsholt, richard@iesd.auc.dk
 */

command = {
	ctrl_b		=>	left;
	ctrl_f		=>	right;
/*	ctrl_p		=>	up;		^P controls printer  :-(  */
	ctrl_n		=>	down;
	esc b		=>	ctrl_left;
	esc B		=>	ctrl_left;
	0x00 0x30	=>	ctrl_left;
	esc f		=>	ctrl_right;
	esc F		=>	ctrl_right;
	0x00 0x21	=>	ctrl_right;
	ctrl_a		=>	home;
	esc k		=>	ctrl_home;
	0x00 0x25	=>	ctrl_home;
	ctrl_e		=>	end;
	ctrl_k		=>	ctrl_end;
	ctrl_d		=>	del;
	esc 0x08	=>	ctrl_l;
	0x00 0x0e	=>	ctrl_l;		/* alt-delete */
	esc d		=>	ctrl_r;
	esc D		=>	ctrl_r;
	0x00 0x20	=>	ctrl_r;
	ctrl_w		=>	ctrl_k;
	ctrl_q		=>	0xff;
	ctrl_y		=>	f3;
	0x1d		=>	f8;		/* ctrl-tab */
	tab		=>	f9;
	0xa6		=>	f10;		/* alt-tab */
}
-----stop-cuttin'--------------------------------------------------

--
/Richard Flamsholt
richard@iesd.auc.dk

system@syzzle.chi.il.us (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) (02/19/91)

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) writes:

> Does anybody have a way to change the 4DOS file completion key?
> I hate to move my fingers away from keyboard for file completion.
> Switching it to the TAB key will be the best for me.

There is a 4DOS key re-mapping program which is able to re-map any key
under 4DOS. It went through c.b.i.p a short while ago, and is (I think)
available on SIMTEL20. (Yes it is on SIMTEL20, just checked.
PD:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>4MAP.ZIP). That should do the trick!

+---------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Al Oomens awol@syzzle.chi.il.us | Simplicity is the ultimate |
|  This space for rent!!!!!!!!!   | form of sophistication!    |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------+

jls@dynasoft.mn.org (John Stanley) (02/26/91)

[rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes ... ]
> article <16648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs178waa@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Vegetable Man) writes:
>>Has anybody written a program to emulate the UNIX file completion
>>utility for DOS?  I imagine it would have to be a TSR, but I
>>suppose that's not the only solution.
>
> Try 4DOS, shareware, available on most archive sites.
> (I believe one of the function keys does file completion).
>
> -- budi

  Better yet, try Anarkey.  It's a command line enhancer that works
with the normal COMMAND.COM so you don't have to switch to an entirely
new command shell just to get filename completion.

  Anarkey also includes command recall (command stack with search
capabilities), aliasing and the ability to type multiple commands on a
single line (using ';' to seperate the commands...).  (plus a bunch of
other features I won't list here...)

  Quite a nice enhancer.

  I have no association with the author of Anarkey except liking his
(her?) program.  Sorry I can't give you more specifics, but I haven't
been working in an MS-DOS environment for a while so I don't have any
of the documentation handy.

---
John L. Stanley <john@dynasoft.mn.org>
Software Development Consultant / Dynasoft Systems