[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problems with GCC for DOS and Windows 3.0

cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org (Chris Winemiller) (02/25/91)

Has anyone else experienced difficulty using the GCC compiler (recently
posted in c.b.i.p) within a DOS session under Windows 3.0?  I have a 386
20MHz clone, 4M memory, running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.  When
I crank up the gcc compiler, it blasts my whole system out of the water
by causing an immediate system reboot.  When I run only DOS (3.30) and
do not run Windows 3.0, no problem.  Any others have similar
experiences?  Any proposed solutions?

Chris
--
Chris Winemiller         Internet: cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org
                         UUCP    : texsun!letni!keys!cwinemil

doug@sis.uucp (doug berry) (02/27/91)

In article <L87VX1w163w@keys.lonestar.org>
     cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org (Chris Winemiller) writes:
[...]
>20MHz clone, 4M memory, running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.  When
>I crank up the gcc compiler, it blasts my whole system out of the water
[...]

The same thing happens here when i try to use JOVE to do a compile
with gcc using make...  i think gcc wants the *whole* machine.

--

  uucp:  ...{utzoo,yunexus}!sis!doug            phone: +1 416 338 4506
  else:      doug%sis@nexus.yorku.ca

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.163831.15110@sis.uucp> doug@sis.uucp (doug berry) writes:
>In article <L87VX1w163w@keys.lonestar.org>
>     cwinemil@keys.lonestar.org (Chris Winemiller) writes:
>[...]
>>20MHz clone, 4M memory, running Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode.  When
>>I crank up the gcc compiler, it blasts my whole system out of the water
>[...]
>
>The same thing happens here when i try to use JOVE to do a compile
>with gcc using make...  i think gcc wants the *whole* machine.
>
>--

It does. It is a 386 native mode thing - and so are products made with it.

This is a problem with ANY 386 product - AutoCad 386, MAthematica, the Phar LAp
386 extender and things that use it, commercial 386 compilers such as
Microway. There was a standard method acctepted before Windows 3.0
for accessing 386 extended memory called VCPI. Microsoft simply ble that
off and devised a new, incompatible method that locks out older
VCPI products. The gcc may not even obey VCPI, I don't know. Many
commercial products are promising to make their things run under the
new "standard", but, of course, most of these people are going to want
you to pay money for an "upgrade".

Doug McDonald