[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] I'm looking for a *LARGE* text editor.

v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Marshall A Kelly) (02/23/91)

I'm looking for a large text editor.

I have text files which are about 200 to 900 blocks large.
i'm looking for a way to edit them.

Or if possible seperate them into smaller files

any suggestions????

MArsh!

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (02/23/91)

	If you have MS Windows, there is a Shareware text editor you
can get that handles big files.

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (02/25/91)

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:

   If you have a 386 with lots of memory, then a PC version of GNU Emacs should
   do.  Emacs pulls the entire file into memory, so to edit a large file you need
   a lot of memory.

Where could I find this PC version of GNU emacs????

--
Timo Suhonen        I am logged in, therefore I am        suhonen@nic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

elliot@encore.com (Elliot Mednick) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.041914.10351@digi.lonestar.org>,
v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
> >I'm looking for a large text editor.
> >
> >I have text files which are about 200 to 900 blocks large.
> >i'm looking for a way to edit them.
>
> If you have a 386 with lots of memory, then a PC version of GNU Emacs should
> do.  Emacs pulls the entire file into memory, so to edit a large file
you need
> a lot of memory.

Be careful not to confuse this with Freemacs.  Freemacs is GNU-like
(and free) but, alas, is limited to 64k-byte files.  If there is a
version of the 'real' GNU Emacs available for the PC, I (and many others)
would like to know about it.

Anyone out there working on an enhanced version of Freemacs?
__
Elliot Mednick (elliot@encore.com) |  This .signature file is undergoing
Encore Computer Corp.              |  remodeling for your convenience.
Marlborough, MA. 01752             |  Please pardon our appearance.

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb25.041914.10351@digi.lonestar.org> kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>In article <61292@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>I'm looking for a large text editor.
>Speaking of EDT, the header on your posting indicates that it was sent from a
>VAX/VMS system.  You could always use EDT to edit or to break it up into
>smaller files.

Or, you could get SEDT for the PC from wuarchive.wustl.edu in
mirrors/msdos/editor/sedt40pc.arc.

This is a very good EDT clone for the PC.  It handles multi-Megabyte
files just fine.

.

--
Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,,) (02/27/91)

In article <61292@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a large text editor.

QEdit 2.1.  Available on simtel in <msdos.qedit>. The editor itself is full
featured, and it is capable of editing arbitrary sized files.  Shareware,
registration in the realm of $40-$60.

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb23.093720.15341@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu>, n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) writes:
> v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Marshall A Kelly) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a large text editor.

TE25.ZIP in <MSDOS.EDITORS> on simtel20 can handle files up to 32M if I
remember correctly (assuming you have 32M free on disk for the swapfile).

EDLIN will of course edit any size file too, but it does it in chunks
so it can be a bit tedious!
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (02/28/91)

In article <SUHONEN.91Feb25143327@kunto.jyu.fi> suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:
>kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>Where could I find this PC version of GNU emacs????
Sorry.  I was thinking of the 386 PC where we have a Unix partition on
the disk drive.  We have GNU Emacs running on it.  I don't know of a
GNU Emacs that runs under MS-DOS nor OS/2.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu (Carl Schelin) (02/28/91)

In article <16149@reed.UUCP>, minar@reed.bitnet (Nelson Minar,L08,,) says:

>In article <61292@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>I'm looking for a large text editor.
>

>QEdit 2.1.  Available on simtel in <msdos.qedit>. The editor itself is full
>featured, and it is capable of editing arbitrary sized files.  Shareware,
>registration in the realm of $40-$60.

Whoops, you may want to look again. I constantly use QEdit v2.1 (February
1990) and it will not edit files larger than your available dos memory. It
loads as much as possible and then asks you to press <esc> to continue.

I have to use an ascii splitter (splitf.exe for example) if I want to look
at very large files.

Carl Schelin
tcs@mailer.jhuapl.edu

jham@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (John Ham) (03/01/91)

Qedit 2.1 is indeed a wonderful editor, but it will NOT edit an
arbitrary size file.  The file must fit into memory (DOS main
memory).  That is the one and only problem with QEDIT, and they
include a program to split a file into pieces that will fit in
memory and then joine them back together again if you only need
that capability occasionally.  jham@cs.umr.edu

vojta@powdermilk.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (03/02/91)

In article <61292@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067hll6@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a large text editor.
>
>I have text files which are about 200 to 900 blocks large.
>i'm looking for a way to edit them.

Try calvin, a partial vi clone.  It should be able to edit files of several
megabytes, if you have the disk space for the swap file.

It was posted a few months ago on c.b.i.p. and should also be available on
Simtel20.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu