[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] READ THIS NOW

dmurrlls@vax1.tcd.ie (02/28/91)

I'm looking for a relatively simple programme that calculates any number
of required CVs (Co-efficents of variation.)  I could probably knock it together
myself but I'm pretty busy at the moment and the thing is required by a
Hospital a.s.a.p. ...... Also I hate to be picky but they are generally
not technical geniuses ( or shold that be Genii) and it would have to
be as user-friendly as possible.

*  ___              ____                                                      *
* <   \  /\/\    /\/  __)                   J.F.  Computer Science,           *
* |    \/  \ \  / /  /                         Trinity  College Dublin,       *
* | |\  \   \ \/ /  (_                              Ireland.                  *
* | |/  / _\ \  /  ___)                                                       *
* |    / /___ \/  <__                     "That's the problem with reality    *
* <___/      \_\_____)     Murrells           it's taken far too seriously"   *
*                                                                             *
* aka  "DMURRLLS@VAX1.TCD.IE"                  - Gerry Wheelan                *
#! r

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.113127.7879@vax1.tcd.ie> dmurrlls@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I'm looking for a relatively simple programme that calculates any number
>of required CVs (Co-efficents of variation.)  I could probably knock it together
>myself but I'm pretty busy at the moment and the thing is required by a
>Hospital a.s.a.p. ...... Also I hate to be picky but they are generally
>not technical geniuses ( or shold that be Genii) and it would have to
>be as user-friendly as possible.

To calculate a coefficient of variation (standard deviation divided
by mean value) you only need any standard statistical program that
calculates standard deviations (or variances) and means (all do).
(But if you get one for such obvious professional purposes don't
forget the shareware rules!).  One user-friendly statistical program
that calculates means and standard deviations of observations is
/pc/ts/ts1st18.arc.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.)

For general edification an extract from /pc/ts/tsfaq17.arc:

1. *****
 Q: What does "Subject: Re: none" mean in the news?

 A: It means that someone has posted a message without a subject
header. This is a irrational thing to do. On top of that net rules
don't like it, consider the way in which many readers (I included)
read the news. Because of the deluge of postings, readers first scan
the headers (e.g. in rn use =) to decide if anything is worth a
closer look. The most likely result is that postings with no
subjects, or uninformative subjects (such as "Help urgently needed",
"Information requested", "A question", "Read this", and so on) get
summarily bypassed.
   Conclusion: If you post, use informative subject headers. That
way your posting has a much better change of being noticed by the
potentially interested parties.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37