[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] PD Hard Disk Defragmenter wanted.

Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (02/25/91)

> kellyk@bwdlh133.bnr.ca writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1991Feb26.021030.25509@bwdls61.bnr.ca>
>
> Org.  : BNR Ottawa, Canada
>
> I've been snooping around SIMTEL20, but with no luck so far.  If anybody
> can point me to some good sources OR binaries, please drop me a line.
> (Via e-mail, if possible.)  Thanks in advance...

There is a good one called DOG which should be up on SIMTEL.  I think the
latest is DOG206.

The reason I'm posting this to the net instead of EMail is because I am looking
for a later version of the program that will handle DOS4.01.  DOG206 won't
touch it.
--

+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| cthulhu@{arkham.UUCP|arkham.wimsey.bc.ca}      | He who has had has been  |

kellyk@bwdlh133.bnr.ca () (02/26/91)

I've been snooping around SIMTEL20, but with no luck so far.  If anybody
can point me to some good sources OR binaries, please drop me a line.
(Via e-mail, if possible.)  Thanks in advance...

| IN PERSON: Kelly Kendrick, Bell-Northern Research Ltd., Ottawa, ON
| UUCP:      uunet!bnrgate!bwdlh133!kellyk
| NETNORTH:  KELLYK@BNR.CA

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (02/27/91)

DOG206.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> DiskOrGanizer v2.06 disk defragmentizer
REFORM12.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Disk defragmenter [Turbo Pas src]
REFORM15.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Defragment your hard disk
REFORM16.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Disk defragmenter with TurboPascal v5.0 source
SST201.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Hard disk de-fragmentizer. Careful!

These are all available at:
New Mexico:  simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory listed above
                                           (PDx:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )
Missouri:    wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx
Australia:   sol.deakin.oz.au (128.184.1.1) in pub/PC/simtel-20/xxxxx

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I

(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  Internet users should
        try BITNET domain addresses such as TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET)

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (02/27/91)

In article <4923@mindlink.UUCP> Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
>> kellyk@bwdlh133.bnr.ca writes:
>>
>> Msg-ID: <1991Feb26.021030.25509@bwdls61.bnr.ca>
>>
>> Org.  : BNR Ottawa, Canada
>>
>> I've been snooping around SIMTEL20, but with no luck so far.  If anybody
>> can point me to some good sources OR binaries, please drop me a line.
>> (Via e-mail, if possible.)  Thanks in advance...
>
>There is a good one called DOG which should be up on SIMTEL.  I think the
>latest is DOG206.
>
>The reason I'm posting this to the net instead of EMail is because I am looking
>for a later version of the program that will handle DOS4.01.  DOG206 won't
>touch it.
>--

I believe that sometime in antiquity I got a de-fragmenter that was a beta
release (pre-production) of the Gazelle Disk De-fragmenter off of simtel20.
It is called OPTUNE.  It works very well and is about 2-3 times faster
than PC Tools COMPRESS and Norton SD.

....Paul

ps: Maybe I am mis-remembering, and It was actually posted to C.B.I.P

--
         Paul "vi joe" Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services                      University of Waterloo  Waterloo, Ontario Canada  N2L-3G1
  < pfratar@watshine.UWaterloo.CA >       < pfratar@watserv1.UWaterloo.CA >

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (Feltch Master) (02/28/91)

msdos.archive.umich.edu has optune.arc in their msdos/disk directory.  It
works with dos 4.01.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/01/91)

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (Feltch Master) writes:
>msdos.archive.umich.edu has optune.arc in their msdos/disk directory.  It
>works with dos 4.01.

Be careful!  OPTUNE.ARC was deleted from the SIMTEL20 archvies after
reports were received that it destroyed data on some hard disks.  It
turns out that this is a preliminary Beta test version of a commercial
product.

We received word from the company that produces this product that we
should delete the file for the reasons above.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

In article <1991Feb26.021030.25509@bwdls61.bnr.ca> kellyk@bwdlh133.bnr.ca () writes:
| I've been snooping around SIMTEL20, but with no luck so far.  If anybody
| can point me to some good sources OR binaries, please drop me a line.
| (Via e-mail, if possible.)  Thanks in advance...

  The one I use is called SST, and I got it off the net long before I
was the moderator. I would expect it to be archived on SIMTEL20.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

jbodnar@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (John Bodnar) (03/03/91)

According to mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}):
>DOG206.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> DiskOrGanizer v2.06 disk defragmentizer
>REFORM12.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Disk defragmenter [Turbo Pas src]
>REFORM15.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Defragment your hard disk
>REFORM16.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> Disk defragmenter with TurboPascal v5.0 source

Will any of these work with a hard disk with multiple DOS partitions.  I
have a Seagate ST296N SCSI hard disk (80M), and SST (which I used to use
with my old ST125 20M disk) will NOT work.

--

John Bodnar                                Internet: jbodnar@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at Austin          UUCP: ....!cs.utexas!ut-ccwf!jbodnar

ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/04/91)

jbodnar@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (John Bodnar) writes:

> >DOG206.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> DiskOrGanizer v2.06 disk defragmentizer

> Will any of these work with a hard disk with multiple DOS partitions.  I
> have a Seagate ST296N SCSI hard disk (80M), and SST (which I used to use
> with my old ST125 20M disk) will NOT work.

DOG will, although it won't touch >32meg partitions.  Seems that little
even in the commercial world did up to the release of Norton 5.0.

--
               halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (03/04/91)

DOG works fine with multiple partitions; it had never occurred to me that
any other defragmenter wouldn't.
Michael A. Covington, Assistant to the Director
Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602

nto0302@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Bob Fisher) (03/05/91)

From article <1kq9X2w164w@halcyon.uucp>, by halcyon!ralphs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims):
] jbodnar@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (John Bodnar) writes:
]
]> >DOG206.ARC   PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL> DiskOrGanizer v2.06 disk defragmentizer
]
]> Will any of these work with a hard disk with multiple DOS partitions.  I
]> have a Seagate ST296N SCSI hard disk (80M), and SST (which I used to use
]> with my old ST125 20M disk) will NOT work.
]
] DOG will, although it won't touch >32meg partitions.  Seems that little
] even in the commercial world did up to the release of Norton 5.0.

Does DOG work with disks formatted under MS-DOS 4.01?
--
Bob Fisher
US Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center

jbodnar@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (John Bodnar) (03/06/91)

A couple of days ago, I posted a message asking for help on a HD
defragmenter which would handle a SCSI hard disk with multiple DOS
partitions.  I'm using a Seagate ST296N (80 meg) with the ST01 8 bit
controller.

Someone suggested using REFORM16, and I did and quickly received an error
message along the lines of "Unrecognized DOS version: DOS 6.0" or something
resembling this.  Has anyone else using a SCSI hard disk found a
defragmenter that works.  Note that REFORM was going to let me continue,
but I did not feel like taking the chance of botching things up.

Someone also suggested I try DOG206, but I have yet to do so.  I'll post
something on the results of this in case there are other people sharing my
predicament.

--

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/07/91)

<
<DOG will, although it won't touch >32meg partitions.  Seems that little
<even in the commercial world did up to the release of Norton 5.0.

Norton SD 4.5 also handles >32Meg partitions, as well as multiple partitions.