[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Graphics Emulators

v056ped5@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian M McNamara) (03/07/91)

Several programs are gearing towards higher graphics modes, dropping CGA.
I know that there are hundreds of CGA emulators for Hercules. Are there
anyy EGA or VGA emulators for CGA?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/08/91)

In article <63735@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>,
v056ped5@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian M McNamara) writes:
|> Several programs are gearing towards higher graphics modes, dropping CGA.
|> I know that there are hundreds of CGA emulators for Hercules. Are there
|> anyy EGA or VGA emulators for CGA?

Given that you can get a basic VGA card for less than $100 retail these
days, there doesn't seem to be much point in doing so.  The only people
who might need an emulator are those of us with laptop and notebook
computers which support CGA and have no slots.  I didn't purchase my
CGA-equipped laptop with graphics in mind; I have a much better system
for graphics elsewhere.

__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

"Awareness of the going style is the key, for most people accept
 proper dress as a sign of one's general awareness. Some men are
 very good at picking up the right cues, but when they are not
 a wife must do it for them."

	--Nina Fischer, "How to Help Your Husband Get Ahead"
	part of the Amy Vanderbilt Success Program for Women

timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) (03/08/91)

In article <63735@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v056ped5@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Several programs are gearing towards higher graphics modes, dropping CGA.
>I know that there are hundreds of CGA emulators for Hercules. Are there
>anyy EGA or VGA emulators for CGA?

I doubt it.  Since you can now buy a VGA card for $55, what's the point?

--
timr@gssc.gss.com	Tim N Roberts, CCP	Graphic Software Systems
						Beaverton, OR

This is a very long palindrome. .emordnilap gnol yrev a si sihT

robl@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Luursema) (03/08/91)

In article <6602@gssc.UUCP> timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) writes:
>In article <63735@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v056ped5@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>Several programs are gearing towards higher graphics modes, dropping CGA.
>>I know that there are hundreds of CGA emulators for Hercules. Are there
>>anyy EGA or VGA emulators for CGA?
>
>I doubt it.  Since you can now buy a VGA card for $55, what's the point?

Say, the cost of a VGA color monitor?

CGA emulation on hercules is possible because it has a higher resolution than
the CGA graphics, and could be reprogrammed to display CGA resolutions.
VGA uses a lot more screen buffer storage a CGA card cannot handle.
Even with the loss of all color, I don't think it will be possible to
work with a VGA oriented program on a CGA system. Sorry.

May be there are VGA cards that run all 16 color graphics and text modes on
a standard (interlaced) 15Khz TTL color moditor? I don't know of any card
but guess it is possible. (they have also VGA to NTSC converters)
But then again this is a hardware solution.
(If you want to discuss this subject, please take this to
 comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware)

--
     _ _
    / U |         Rob Luursema, Philips Information Systems Apeldoorn