[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SPLIT

iscomm@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Independent Studies) (06/27/88)

[Reposted from comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  DF]

Sorry to do this, does anyone have the split program that was posted back in
April. I seem to have gotten the new version distributed with the picnix
update, or some such, and replaced my old version and my backup as well.
But the new version does not do byte wise spliting and is not as useful to me.

If some one has the older version or any version allowing me to do byte
specific splitting could they please mail it to me.

Again I am sorry to post here as I know this is for binaries only
No excuses, but I tried comp.sys.ibm and something went wrong, twice.

NetJunkie, out of control at mach 2. look out kids.

byron@is-next.umd.edu (F. Byron Brown) (03/10/91)

Can any one out there direct me to where I can find a program called SPLIT.
I use to have a copy of it but lost it.  It is a utility that will chop large
program into several parts so that you can store them to floppy disk.

i.e. A 600K file would be split into two 300k files to save on a 360K disk.

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/11/91)

In article <8193@umd5.umd.edu> byron@is-next.umd.edu (F. Byron Brown) writes:
>Can any one out there direct me to where I can find a program called SPLIT.
>I use to have a copy of it but lost it.  It is a utility that will chop large
>program into several parts so that you can store them to floppy disk.

SPLIT49.ARC  is available on simtel20 et al in the pd1:<msdos.filutl> directory.

You might be more interested in a program called ARJ, though.  ARJ is an
archiver whose syntax and operation is similiar to that of LHARC.  ARJ also
has, as one of it's many capabilities, to break up files into volumes (that is,
smaller files).  Arj does this in an intelligent manner, in that you can recover
a file in the middle of a large archive without having to piece the whole
archive back together (where as, if you break a 1Meg zip file into 3 files that
will fit onto 360k floppies, you have to piece all 3 files together again even
if you just want one file out of the archive).

Quite a handy utility. It is available as ARJ100.ZIP in the pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
directory.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL