[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 4dos misfeature?

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/07/91)

This could be a bug in 4dos 3.02a, or I could be extraordinarily unlucky,
or I could just be stupid :-)

I had two files in one directory, mstibm.exe and mssibm.exe.  These were
two versions of MS-Kermit.  I decided that I did not want mstibm (the old
version), and that I would replace it with the newer version.

Being the unix user that I am, I executed:

  move mssibm.exe mstibm.exe

which I thought would over-write the old mstibm with a new mstibm.  Didn't
work out that way.  The directory listing was lost entirely to 4dos, such
that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.

I found that even though I couldn't see the files, they would still work
(given an explicit pathname).  I tried to use Norton's QU to bring back
mssibm.exe, but it complained about a shared data space error.  Since my
programs would still run, I crossed my fingers and hit the panic button.
On reboot, all was perfectly normal.

I haven't been eager enough to attempt this experiment again, at least not
until I finish another full backup.  Be wary, I suppose.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/07/91)

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

> This could be a bug in 4dos 3.02a, or I could be extraordinarily unlucky,
> or I could just be stupid :-)

[deletions]

> Being the unix user that I am, I executed:

(snicker--that'll teach you to mess around with Mother DOS!).

>   move mssibm.exe mstibm.exe

> which I thought would over-write the old mstibm with a new mstibm.  Didn't
> work out that way.  The directory listing was lost entirely to 4dos, such
> that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.

It probably moved the file to a directory called mstibm.exe which was a
sub-directory off the one you were logged in.

> programs would still run, I crossed my fingers and hit the panic button.
> On reboot, all was perfectly normal.

Scrambled cache?

> I haven't been eager enough to attempt this experiment again, at least not
> until I finish another full backup.  Be wary, I suppose.

Nope, use the move command for what is was intended, not as a replacement
for rename.

4DOS's HELP function works real nice.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) (03/07/91)

In article <H7Rey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:

>Nope, use the move command for what is was intended, not as a replacement
>for rename.

If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
(read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
trash your disk. Jeesh.

Mark

north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) writes:

> If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
> (read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
> trash your disk. Jeesh.

It would have...  from the manual...  It says nothing about using it in
place of RENAME.

MOVE

Syntax:     MOVE [/PQR] [d:][path]filename... [d:][path]filename

Purpose:    Move files to other directories and drives.

Comments:   The MOVE command moves the specified file(s) to the last
            filename specified, which is designated as the target.  If
            the target already exists, it is deleted when the file is
            moved.  You cannot move a file to a character device or to
            itself.

            The /P(rompt) option will prompt you for a Y or N
            response to confirm each move.

            The /Q(uiet) option turns off the display of the files moved.

            The /R(eplace) option will prompt you for a Y or N
            response before overwriting an existing file.

     MOVE first attempts to rename the file(s).  If that
            fails (the target is on a different drive, or the target
            already exists), MOVE will copy the file(s) and then
            delete the originals.  If MOVE cannot delete the original
            (for example, a read-only file), it will display an error
            message, but the target file is still created.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                       +++ A Waffle Iron +++

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/07/91)

In article <H7Rey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

>>   move mssibm.exe mstibm.exe
>
>> which I thought would over-write the old mstibm with a new mstibm.  Didn't
>> work out that way.  The directory listing was lost entirely to 4dos, such
>> that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.
>
>It probably moved the file to a directory called mstibm.exe which was a
>sub-directory off the one you were logged in.

No, actually it left both directory entries.  After the failed MOVE, both
had the binary image of mssibm.exe.  All it forgot to do was delete the
target file (mstibm.exe).  And, of course, it nuked all of my directories.

>> programs would still run, I crossed my fingers and hit the panic button.
>> On reboot, all was perfectly normal.
>
>Scrambled cache?

No, no cache program in use.  XMS driver, RAMDRIVE.SYS (MS-DOS 3.30), 4dos,
portions of the f-prot package, and a screen blanker, only.

>> I haven't been eager enough to attempt this experiment again, at least not
>> until I finish another full backup.  Be wary, I suppose.
>
>Nope, use the move command for what is was intended, not as a replacement
>for rename.
>
>4DOS's HELP function works real nice.

Have you used it recently?  Under MOVE, it says that if the target file
(last one in the list) exists, then it will be deleted by the MOVE.  That
is what I expected to happen.  It didn't work as advertised.

In article <yc9ey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> you write:
>north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) writes:
>
>> If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
>> (read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
>> trash your disk. Jeesh.
>
>It would have...  from the manual...  It says nothing about using it in
>place of RENAME.

YES IT DOES!

>MOVE
>
>Syntax:     MOVE [/PQR] [d:][path]filename... [d:][path]filename
>
>     MOVE first attempts to rename the file(s).  If that
>            fails (the target is on a different drive, or the target
>            already exists), MOVE will copy the file(s) and then
>            delete the originals.  If MOVE cannot delete the original
>            (for example, a read-only file), it will display an error
>            message, but the target file is still created.

RIGHT!  EXACTLY!  It should have worked.  I have two files, A and B.  I run
move A B.  Here is what should happen:

MOVE attempts to rename A to B.  It fails, because B already exists.

MOVE then tries to COPY A B

MOVE then deletes A

B is now all there is, and used to be A

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to have happen.  This did not happen.
4dos FAILED to do what it was supposed to do.  This is my ENTIRE point.
I followed the instructions, and the system went berzerk.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

dboer@let.rug.nl (A. de Boer) (03/07/91)

I seem to remember that in the header of the documentation it says
that MOVE is designed to move files either to other directories or to
other drives. This should cancel any suggestions that may be made by
the ensuing documentation as to MOVE's capability of functioning as a
kind of RENAME. Its not being able to do so follows from its
definition

Ale de Boer                            dboer@let.rug.nl

jeffb@world.std.com (Jeffrey T Berntsen) (03/07/91)

north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) writes:

>In article <H7Rey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>>
>>Nope, use the move command for what is was intended, not as a replacement
>>for rename.
>>
>If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
>(read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
>trash your disk. Jeesh.

Of course, you could do what I do:  Use PCOPY instead and use 4DOS's command
alias capability to replace the copy and move commands with PCOPY commands.
I've never had a problem with moves and it'll act more or less like UNIX's mv
command (do anything you ask it to with results you expect).
Jeffrey T. Berntsen                  | Looking for a good .SIG
jeffb@world.std.com                  |

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (03/08/91)

In article <1828@manta.NOSC.MIL> north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) writes:
>In article <H7Rey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>>
>>Nope, use the move command for what is was intended, not as a replacement
>>for rename.
>>
>If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
>(read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
>trash your disk. Jeesh.
>
>Mark

The 4dos move command IS supposed to be used for this purpose.

What it does is:

  - first, it tries to rename the file (even across directories).
  - if that doesn't work, it copies the file, then deletes the
      old one.

So, in this case, it should have worked. Why it didn't, I don't
know.

     Michael Schaap
     msschaa@cs.vu.nl

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (03/08/91)

I've seen this type of thing happen with 4DOS, and I've been assuming
it's an unfortunate interaction with FASTOPEN.  The other day I
wanted to rename directory \AN to \AN2, so I did
	cd \
	mv AN AN2
where mv is an alias for "move", and my Unix-trained fingers prefer
to type "mv".

This worked fine; i.e., the directory \AN was renamed to \AN2, but
there was still a phantom \AN directory there, which I could execute
"dir" on or "cd" to.  It disappeared on next reboot, leading me to
believe it was FASTOPEN remembering too much.

This is 4DOS 3.02a and MS-DOS 3.30a.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

cosheff@netmbx.UUCP (Charles Shefflette) (03/08/91)

Stephen Wooton started a discussion about a possible misfeature with
4dos regarding the operation of the move command.

His complaint:

Given two files xxxayyy.zzz and xxxbyyy.zzz
execute the following command move xxxayyy.zzz xxxbyyy.zzz

result: a temporarily trashed disk (until reboot)

I'm not exactly sure what happened, however, I do know that I have never
experienced that sort of behavior from the 4dos move command.  In fact, when
I read his post, I created two slightly different files with exactly the
names he mentioned and executed exactly the command he gave, with exactly
the result he expected, the first file was "moved" to the second, the original
contents of the second having gone to never never land.

I am at a loss to explain the behavior he mentioned, but I have no doubt that
it is not a bug in 4dos.  I am somewhat surprised at the mention of PCOPY,
though.  One of the many reasons I use 4dos was to reduce the number of
miscellaneous utility packages I had to keep track of (PCOPY was one of them).
I find that 4dos will do virtually everything that PCOPY will do, and what
it won't, I probably don't do often enough to bother to remember the PCOPY
syntax anyhow :-)

No flames intended!

Chuck

Charles Shefflette, System Engineer                     cosheff@netmbx.UUCP
                                                       cosheff@bitcave.UUCP
(US Mail)                              ====================================
Box 9086 USAFSB                        |  Off Switch?  WHAT Off Switch??? |
APO New York, NY  09742-4824           |===================================

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (03/08/91)

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

> This could be a bug in 4dos 3.02a, or I could be extraordinarily unlucky,
> or I could just be stupid :-)
>
> I had two files in one directory, mstibm.exe and mssibm.exe.  These were
> two versions of MS-Kermit.  I decided that I did not want mstibm (the old
> version), and that I would replace it with the newer version.
>
> Being the unix user that I am, I executed:
>
>   move mssibm.exe mstibm.exe
>
> which I thought would over-write the old mstibm with a new mstibm.  Didn't
> work out that way.  The directory listing was lost entirely to 4dos, such
> that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.
>
> I found that even though I couldn't see the files, they would still work
> (given an explicit pathname).  I tried to use Norton's QU to bring back
> mssibm.exe, but it complained about a shared data space error.  Since my
> programs would still run, I crossed my fingers and hit the panic button.
> On reboot, all was perfectly normal.
>
> I haven't been eager enough to attempt this experiment again, at least not
> until I finish another full backup.  Be wary, I suppose.

I've encountered that problem two or three times in the last 4 months or
so, using 4dos 3.02a.  It only happens when I use the move command.  It
happened yesterday, when I moved files from one disk to another.  When I
did a DIR, I found that half the files were gone.  So, I hit reset, and
everything was fine again.  Most of the time I get weird directory names
like that one that you just mentioned.  BTW: I've got a 386 with QEMM-386
installed.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
     |  _____  |
      \   U   /
       "-----"

root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) (03/08/91)

In article <yc9ey2w164w@halcyon.uucp> you write:
>north@manta.NOSC.MIL (Mark H. North) writes:
>
> If the move command is not supposed to be used for this purpose the *polite*
> (read non-RUDE) thing for it to do us warn you of impending disaster not
> trash your disk. Jeesh.

I don't use the MOVE command from 4DOS. While I'm an avid fan of 4DOS, I use
the UNIX look-alike commands posted on c.b.i.p. -- the one enclosed (mv.com)
has NEVER let me down, or provided me with any consternations. I offer it to
you. (mv is easier to type than move...)

------------------------[snip, snip, snip]----------------------------------
begin 644 mv.com
MN,)&NJHA.\1S9XO$+40#)?#_B_BYH@"^? '\\Z6+V+$$T^N,V0/94S/;4\L
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M\(OXRP,  @H$!0        8'" D! @   P0%!@          !P@)"@L,#0
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MP[G)"1Y!#2Y>Z?^XJ: #;9/V %9750" 98'LP  Y)D4N<@0.Z#XB4E [3.2
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MSA['1OQ[H<POB4;V _1P(2Q&-AV:[OWT2"!PY#88N!MR4[,H<CLOZ>T^$[:
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MF'0L!KQ(% 8O= 8&.G4$(^L3H1$EB@>T5$0%RAJBI46$_SSKQ9H.D >7M!.
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M _\FZ^R<N*S" @ ('MI6Z$C^68@>#%?( 74!I1ZT?H56$ 1"1@A2F)#_F5L
M!5DKV!O*B4X*B5N!9 (:HE_^ -([[CZ< \3'1P,(XS;Z_W4*\. G!<&0P4FY
MR:1RUOUR"+JF(1T@/0.G$ 1!!C!'I@AWBP"(_CH5A8@(B(L @=B+REA:*\,;
MT5:]5AE=@%!65[\4 +[D-8V@JD0")0 #/0-\%! Q;FB#QA"+QT^!3Q#F7Q8)
MS9]U!W)::1  ^$X4+75T@2Z-E 8#(HB7\66)2!KW?@OXWX+A^2'K'"8(A YK
M?_X-( "$!IZ6'GH1M%T0*&"C;Y4V__5 ?' !7F9T"R7IVC",E E\!N8N8M6M
M8?^]A$T9P0#_##,-_^'8AXM<"A/Q*M"K_UD101+IH;>V?&(J.4\G!<DRJ;A&
M20%9J::4\__]N,U0TRF6@5"."F*@".F'+P/_[\;^N(E\C4;_[;X(/J;U==%-
M-!!,FY'[60X'M.L,/B "\C<9@H5'#4F@A7JK(",ZSP!PH)9O,ZP-S=[^8!W6
M#QD(KC[BN24"@.U^"!X'"_]T&K  BB6Y AA^_/*N]]%)= M]@3(7B7[^=0L
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M=02*&-&F)O$ ,6E.$2X$P0086,\S_N$ P8(K4(;)*]*T0!I=/%34BPJB0&D
M9*%,-R61XP@+^ X&LL*, *%.-R'&L/H#J8 !%N)83.?]L3#LZ&WW+8QJ&!/W
M(@$Q20X6ZQ1$T4D$LU S"*&T_>FUMNL]E!P4\"8?/9DCU5;_48C??04&Z94
M4C'J4=CH3A;3_N@W >"8'^MWD.M1UJ(6K !.EGH=?#M2(P@L_1$BXFH&@<]K
MC+O-_EC9%PW_T!<VGW<1OH^Q,;'V((WN]GP=*P-H[:$0@!:QUX'B__@+P@#;
M3:( =+ !D.BK]\%0"KX*L ((! @"L $4 &.Q\"(8"@0DP;0];!>51@I]""5#
M#0"  $2 4(&R_!P  %-T86-K(&]V97)F;&]W(0T A HDC,B.V+K!)+0)4(<J
M 4P%E%!S_PR#EF:0 (IQ,\, 8\XBAV-#$59C=#&UA<?5Y5GW63!^::\ ZUB
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M(30Z? 95R3(%'@@ M1[G.GY$!@7K"(J+WD: S=@@\;YWB0[  $+\$O<BC3+
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M268Z;&%<J#V;6$:4 D(L(&5-:'^@&E8(N'!I;I%A]:D5;@"6261<TJQT*;N
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M&6UM#YEN!"QG "HN*@#@,YTWWD."8P^H83=C:$4,"'388Y9*).EP&@V 8FX
M+UPZ "XN0 $ $AH$+2V#2OBU96<7.23GJ.\B%0W"<74X$$_09,]_9W6@(G
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5"P,!$Y037:XW @V9$%I% P("80+_

end
---------------------[cut, cut, cut]---------------------------------
Reply To: tau-ceti!dogear!root@isc-br.com  (Bob Kirkpatrick, Dog Ear'd Systems)
                 A Division of Brand-X, Spokane,  WA 99202

traub@rtf.bt.co.uk (Michael Traub) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.192824.9889@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

>This could be a bug in 4dos 3.02a, or I could be extraordinarily unlucky,
>or I could just be stupid :-)
>
> (stuff deleted)
>that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.
>
> (stuff deleted)
>programs would still run, I crossed my fingers and hit the panic button.
>On reboot, all was perfectly normal.
>
>I haven't been eager enough to attempt this experiment again, at least not
>until I finish another full backup.  Be wary, I suppose.

I have also had a similar problem, several times in fact! Everything was ok
when I rebooted. I noticed this feature before 3.02a but upon changing
motherboards and using 3.02a the problems has no recurred. I'm not sure
if moving files caused the problem for me, in fact I'm pretty sure
the darn problem was not repeatable, it just popped up now and then to
frighten me!

Michael Traub
BT Customer Systems, Brighton Systems Centre. traub@rtf.bt.co.uk

hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl (Hayo Baan) (03/08/91)

In <6240@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:

|I've seen this type of thing happen with 4DOS, and I've been assuming
|it's an unfortunate interaction with FASTOPEN.  The other day I
|wanted to rename directory \AN to \AN2, so I did
|	cd \
|	mv AN AN2
|where mv is an alias for "move", and my Unix-trained fingers prefer
|to type "mv".
|
|This worked fine; i.e., the directory \AN was renamed to \AN2, but
|there was still a phantom \AN directory there, which I could execute
|"dir" on or "cd" to.  It disappeared on next reboot, leading me to
|believe it was FASTOPEN remembering too much.

Yer right : it is FASTOPEN. The 4dos manual has a warning listed regarding
this. So DON'T use fastopen!!!
Maybe, this also soves the problem of the original poster...

--

+------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Hayo R. Baan     | E-Mail : hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl                           |

+------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Hayo R. Baan     | E-Mail : hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl                           |

esaholm@polaris.utu.fi (Esa Holmberg) (03/08/91)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:

>"dir" on or "cd" to.  It disappeared on next reboot, leading me to
>believe it was FASTOPEN remembering too much.

	The very same thing (somewhat trashed directories, though
	all files still were usable, and all well after reboot)
	has happened to me, too, about 4-5 times. It is not due to
	Fastopen, as I do not use it. No, there must be some other
	reason..
  ) Esa Holmberg, esaholm@utu.fi, esa.holmberg/o=ttl/@elisa.fi )
 /  Elisa : Holmberg Esa TTL              fax : (921) 510 017 /

msdos1@funet.fi (Petri Hartoma - Tut) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.192824.9889@en.ecn.purdue.edu> stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:
>   which I thought would over-write the old mstibm with a new mstibm.  Didn't
>   work out that way.  The directory listing was lost entirely to 4dos, such
>   that every directory on my disk became c:\misc\*(&^%&%# with no files.

Ok, you've got a bunch of replies before that but have you checked
(with CHKDSK /F) that FAT of your hard disk is still alright? It seems
that there's something wrong with it. Maybe cross-linked clusters or
something like that. I've (as many others) tried same kind of
operations with 4DOS - and without any troubles.

Better luck!

&& Petri

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/09/91)

In an attempt to end the speculation about my particular machine, here are
the relevant details:

config.sys
----------
buffers=40
files=20
device=c:\sysfiles\ramdrive.sys /e1024
device=c:\sysfiles\himem.sys
device=c:\sysfiles\keystack.sys
device=c:\sysfiles\nnansi.sys
device=c:\f-prot\f-driver.sys
shell=c:\4DOS.COM /P /S:X

autoexec.bat
------------
f-prot\f-lock
f-prot\f-popup
f-prot\f-oschk 8506 13069 45533 59622 60262
set path=c:\dos;c:\bin;c:\4dos
set prompt=$p$g
vgazap

This is a 286/12, 4M ram, 32M RLL disk, vga.  MS-DOS 3.30, 4dos 3.02a.
That is it.  I ran CHKDSK, and it did not report any errors.  I have no
disk cache, and I don't use fastopen.  The error seems to have been an
entirely random act, caused by a wayward cosmic particle which just
happened to strike my disk controller at just the precise moment to cause
such havoc.

shurr@cbnews.att.com (larry.a.shurr) (03/09/91)

In article <1616@gufalet.let.rug.nl> dboer@let.rug.nl (A. de Boer) writes:
}I seem to remember that in the header of the documentation it says
}that MOVE is designed to move files either to other directories or to
}other drives. This should cancel any suggestions that may be made by
}the ensuing documentation as to MOVE's capability of functioning as a
}kind of RENAME. Its not being able to do so follows from its
}definition

Yes, the reasoning is sound, but is it a sound reason?

I don't particularly care, I use the MKS toolkit, anyway.  Thus, I just
"mv" whatever and whereever I want.

Larry
--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.

hartung@crl.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (03/10/91)

In article <301@dogear.UUCP> root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>I don't use the MOVE command from 4DOS. While I'm an avid fan of 4DOS, I use
>the UNIX look-alike commands posted on c.b.i.p. -- the one enclosed (mv.com)
>has NEVER let me down, or provided me with any consternations. I offer it to
>you. (mv is easier to type than move...)
[stuff deleted]

No doubt I will not be the only one to point this out, but the _*IS*_ _*NOT*_
nor should it ever be, the place to post binaries, under any circumstances,
no matter what the intent nor perceived justification for doing so!!!!!!!!!!!
The reasons that this is so include:

	1)  There is a (moderated) newsgroup, and a procedure for submitting
	    to it, which are established for this purpose.
	2)  There is no way to guard against virii if binaries are posted to
	    the net via unmoderated newsgroups.
	3)  There is no protection against redundant postings of the same
	    program either.
	4)  Nor is there quality control to insure that plain CRAP doesn't get
	    posted.
	5)  In the past, when c.b.i.p. was not moderated, alot of virus-
	    ridden, crappy, redundantly posted, useless stuff clogged the net
	    until c.b.i.p. was almost shut down, and many sites began keeping
	    it _off_ their system.

In conclusion, if you want to post a binary, send it to Bill for submission
via the procedure outlined in c.b.i.p. each month.

--
 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

vac223l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Evan McLean) (03/11/91)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:

>I've seen this type of thing happen with 4DOS, and I've been assuming
>it's an unfortunate interaction with FASTOPEN.  The other day I

Very good.  Has anybody tried reading the doc file compat.doc that comes
with 4dos??  It makes mention of the problems 4dos has with FASTOPEN and
other software as well.
--
 ___          Wendigo  (Sometimes known as Evan McLean)  | Don't look back,
<*,*>         [ Occasionally thought of as               | the lemmings are

kolb@kub.nl (Hans-Peter Kolb) (03/11/91)

In article <1616@gufalet.let.rug.nl>, dboer@let.rug.nl (A. de Boer) writes:
|> I seem to remember that in the header of the documentation it says
|> that MOVE is designed to move files either to other directories or to
|> other drives. This should cancel any suggestions that may be made by
|> the ensuing documentation as to MOVE's capability of functioning as a
|> kind of RENAME. Its not being able to do so follows from its
|> definition

From the 4dos documentation:

  Syntax:     MOVE [/PQR] [d:][path]filename... [d:][path]filename
                                                ^  ^^    ^^^^^^^^^

Let's call a bug a bug --- even if we like the program that exhibits it.
Moving a file within a directory (i.e. renaming) is just a special case
of moving it across directories/drives. The []'s around "d:" and "path"
above show that the 4dos designers are of the same opinion. So if using
move as a sort of rename confuses 4dos or---even worse---scrambles disks,
THIS IS A BUG and has to be fixed!

Best, ...hap

 hans-peter kolb                                            kolb@kub.nl
 Computational Linguistics                          kolb@htikub5.bitnet
 Tilburg University (KUB)                                P.O.Box 90 153
 The Netherlands                                     NL-5000 LE Tilburg