[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] How about a 4dos newsgroup?

Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP (Bartholomew Siemens) (03/08/91)

The only problem with a 4dos newsgroup is that only people using 4dos would
sign up, and it would become a 4dos worship time even more than it is now! Most
of the discussion about 4dos on this newsgroup is telling Messy-Dos users to be
heartened because there is a substitute for all of the inconsistencies of
Messy-Dos! For my buck: NO NEW *4DOS* NEWSGROUP!!!
Disclaimer: navahoe -- I am exactly who I am and I speak that!
rsoft!mindlink!Bartholomew_Siemens@van-bc.UUCP

ff76@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar8.151259.16091@linus.mitre.org>, dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:
> ..  I've been seeing a lot of discussion here pertaining to specific shareware
> packages, notably 4dos, and having just become a 4dos user myself, I can
> see where it might be time to set up a separate newsgroup for this topic.
> The same might be done for other packages when the message traffic about
> them gets up to a certain level. My understanding is that this newsgroup
> was meant as a companion to comp.binaries.ibm.pc and not as a general forum.
>
>    How about it, 4dos fans?
>
> dhf@linus.mitre.org

The appropriate newsgroup for 4DOS qusetions, IMHO, is COMP.OS.MSDOS.APPS or
COMP.OS.MSDOS.MISC.

While I am a regular user and fan of 4DOS, there are too many things common
to 4DOS and MS-DOS to have separate lists.  Also, 4DOS is, technically, a
replacement of Command.com alone, and works as an *enhancement* to MS-DOS.

That's simply my opinion.       - Jhinuk.

Jhinuk Chowdhury

dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (03/08/91)

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.151259.16091@linus.mitre.org> dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:
>.  I've been seeing a lot of discussion here pertaining to specific shareware
>packages, notably 4dos, and having just become a 4dos user myself, I can
>see where it might be time to set up a separate newsgroup for this topic.
>The same might be done for other packages when the message traffic about
>them gets up to a certain level. My understanding is that this newsgroup
>was meant as a companion to comp.binaries.ibm.pc and not as a general forum.

I would have to disagree with this suggestion.  IMHO, to separate out
different subgroups for various popular shareware packages would not
be a good idea.  A couple of months down the road, nobody will have
a question about 4dos.  The group would languish.  Next month's
discussion might be about pkzip (remember the massive encryption
discussion a couple of months ago) or McAffee's virus software.

Don't worry, the 4dos discussion will die down sooner or later.
Besides, we must have something to talk about!!

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) (03/09/91)

dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:

>.  I've been seeing a lot of discussion here pertaining to specific shareware
>packages, notably 4dos, and having just become a 4dos user myself, I can
>see where it might be time to set up a separate newsgroup for this topic.

>   How about it, 4dos fans?

Yes! An idea I've been mulling over myself recently.

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (03/09/91)

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) writes:

> dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:

> >.  I've been seeing a lot of discussion here pertaining to specific sharewar
> >packages, notably 4dos, and having just become a 4dos user myself, I can
> >see where it might be time to set up a separate newsgroup for this topic.

> >   How about it, 4dos fans?

> Yes! An idea I've been mulling over myself recently.

comp.os.msdos.apps?

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (03/09/91)

(David H. Friedman) writes:
>			...having just become a 4dos user myself, I can
>see where it might be time to set up a separate newsgroup for this topic.

The 4dos-related traffic here and in comp.os.msdos.apps suggests to me that a
newsgroup is _not_ in order; perhaps a mailing list would be if someone could
be found to handle it.

Compared to 4dos, the messdos command processor creates a localized partial
vaccuum -- not many will dispute that.  Still,  it's a minority (how small,
I wonder?) who use it, and IMHO the traffic related thereunto doesn't justify
even that mailing list.

When I have a 4dos related question, I'll probably put it here on in the
aforementioned comp.os.msdos.apps group.  It'll get answered.

				My 25,000 millicents,

    boogeriod (booh-gur-oyd): clot of nasal mucus so substantial it must be
	brought down the back stairs and made to exit via the mouth
				-- from _Grosseries_, by Kelly & Todd
  Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@triton.cirt.unm.edu

teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko Teittinen) (03/11/91)

In article <5060@mindlink.UUCP>, Bartholomew_Siemens@mindlink.UUCP
(Bartholomew Siemens) writes:
> The only problem with a 4dos newsgroup is that only people using 4dos would
> sign up, and it would become a 4dos worship time even more than it is now! Most
> of the discussion about 4dos on this newsgroup is telling Messy-Dos users to be
> heartened because there is a substitute for all of the inconsistencies of
> Messy-Dos! For my buck: NO NEW *4DOS* NEWSGROUP!!!

I don't care whether you create a 4dos newsgroup or not, but move the
discussion of 4dos to a better suited newsgroup. How about
comp.os.msdos.apps? There are enough unnecessary postings in this
newsgroup already.

--
E-Mail: teittinen@finuh.bitnet               ! "Studying is the only way
        teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi             !  to do nothing without

dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (03/11/91)

>The appropriate newsgroup for 4DOS questions, IMHO, is COMP.OS.MSDOS.APPS or
>COMP.OS.MSDOS.MISC.
>
>Jhinuk Chowdhury

   As the original poster of the suggestion for a 4dos newsgroup, I would
have to agree. What say we move the 4dos discussion to comp.os.msdos.misc?

dhf@linus.mitre.org