[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] string search through files in ZIP-archives possible ?

IUL@DACTH51.BITNET (03/05/91)

Does anybody know a program to find occurences of text strings in a
ZIP-archive containing text files ?  I am looking for a utility which
gives the whole line of text (the line containing the search string),
and which scans through all text files contained in the archive.

There exists a program called ARCF106 in <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>, which
does the job for *.ARCs, is there a similiar program which works
on *.ZIPs ?

Any thanks for any hints, Matthias Drobnitzky

Matthias Drobnitzky  <iul@dacth51.bitnet>
Dept. of Radiology
Klinikum der RWTH
D-5100 Aachen
Germany

oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk) (03/07/91)

IUL@DACTH51.BITNET writes:

>Does anybody know a program to find occurences of text strings in a
>ZIP-archive containing text files ?  I am looking for a utility which
>gives the whole line of text (the line containing the search string),
>and which scans through all text files contained in the archive.

If you have a program that can "grep" for text via standard input, you could
do a "PKUNZIP -c zipfile", which would extract the contents of the file to
the console, and then pipe the data to your stdin-grepper.  Unfortunately,
because of the way that MS-DOS treats pipes (i.e., they are temporary files
on the disk), this might not work the way you'd like.  Does this approach
(or something similar to it) make sense?

	- Mike
--
  - Mike Shawaluk (oovvoo@mixcom.com)       "It is a good day to live."

phlux@athena.mit.edu (Peter H. Lemieux) (03/13/91)

I don't know about shareware programs for this but Lotus's Magellan can
do this and a WHOLE LOT more.  One of the best utilities I have ever used,
and was recently a cheap "upgrade" from any DOS shell program, e.g.,
PCTools.

--
Dr. Peter H. Lemieux                  Internet:  phlux@athena.mit.edu
Department of Political Science