[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Sound Blaster with .ROL

enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au (02/28/91)

I have a Sound Blaster card and am happy with the sound it produces as music
and samples. What I find frustrating is the lack of decent software (any) for
producing my own music files and editing digitised samples. The ROL demos are
good, but what software is used to produce them? I have FMSOUND for Windows
3.0, but it doens't have a facility for composition. Any answers?

Thanx in advance

Regards Peter

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
ENZERINKP@TOPAZ.UCQ.EDU.AU              Hello, Hello. What's going on here then?

doug@fryeten.uucp (03/05/91)

In article <1991Feb28.165754.6970@topaz.ucq.edu.au>, enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
> I have a Sound Blaster card and am happy with the sound it produces as music
> and samples. What I find frustrating is the lack of decent software (any) for
> producing my own music files and editing digitised samples. The ROL demos are
> good, but what software is used to produce them? I have FMSOUND for Windows
> 3.0, but it doens't have a facility for composition. Any answers?

I agree.  I have the money to spend on one of these boards but with the lack of
software available for musical composition it does me no good.  I would like to
see something that I can write and edit a traditional musical score and then be
able to play it through the Soundblaster and also be able to print it out on a
dot matrix printer.  If someone puts some software together to do that for
$150.00 or less then I'll plug out the money for the card and the software.
There is at least one company with software under a $150 of this type which
already supports midi interfaces but doesn't support the Soundblaster or Adlib
cards yet.  They are interested in doing this but they're not sure if the
market is big enough to invest the time and money. Their name slips my mind
right now, but if anyone is interested in calling them with pleas I'd be happy
to email their name and phone number.  I wrote the info down at home.  My
impression was that given enough interested phone callers they might just be
persuaded to take the risk and go ahead with the project.

--

 _______________  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
|   _________   | | Doug White           |             Email              |

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/06/91)

In article <22.27d27e41@fryeten.uucp> doug@fryeten.uucp writes:
>I agree.  I have the money to spend on one of these boards but with
>the lack of software available for musical composition it does me no
>good.

I don't understand what the fuss is about... All the Adlib stuff like
Personal composer runs on the Sound Blaster. In addition Sequencer
Plus series supports it, as does the PC Lyra and the shareware
Musician staff type composition programs.

It's just a matter of looking, and I'm sure Brown-Wagh support/sales
lines would be "happy" to point out third party software.

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM   woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com or woan@austin.iinus1.ibm.com +
+ or                  woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com  or woan@peyote.cactus.org +
+ others     woan@soda.berkeley.edu Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

doug@fryeten.uucp (03/08/91)

In article <3614@d75.UUCP>, woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:
> In article <22.27d27e41@fryeten.uucp> doug@fryeten.uucp writes:
>>I agree.  I have the money to spend on one of these boards but with
>>the lack of software available for musical composition it does me no
>>good.
>
> I don't understand what the fuss is about... All the Adlib stuff like
> Personal composer runs on the Sound Blaster. In addition Sequencer
> Plus series supports it, as does the PC Lyra and the shareware
> Musician staff type composition programs.

The musician staff type composition programs sound interesting.  Does that mean
I can edit,play, and print a traditional musical score?  If so, can someone
give me the name of the software and possibly a rough idea of where I might
find it?  My purpose is to be able to compose or arrange and print a final
score to be performed by people.  Being able to play it on the computer is just
a tool to compensate for my poor keyboard skills.  So a traditional music score
is a must.

> It's just a matter of looking, and I'm sure Brown-Wagh support/sales
> lines would be "happy" to point out third party software.

The person I spoke to on the phone at Brown-Wagh didn't know of anything that
met my needs.  I know there is software available for the more expensive
Roland boards but that software doesn't support Soundblaster or Adlib.

 _______________  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

pmahler@starnet.uucp (Paul Mahler) (03/12/91)

In article <22.27d27e41@fryeten.uucp> doug@fryeten.uucp writes:
>In article <1991Feb28.165754.6970@topaz.ucq.edu.au>, enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>> I have a Sound Blaster card and am happy with the sound it produces as music
>> and samples. What I find frustrating is the lack of decent software (any) for
>> producing my own music files and editing digitised samples. The ROL demos are
>> good, but what software is used to produce them? I have FMSOUND for Windows
>> 3.0, but it doens't have a facility for composition. Any answers?
>>

>I agree.  I have the money to spend on one of these boards but with the lack of
>software available for musical composition it does me no good.  I would like to
>see something that I can write and edit a traditional musical score and then be
>able to play it through the Soundblaster and also be able to print it out on a
>dot matrix printer.  If someone puts some software together to do that for
>$150.00 or less then I'll plug out the money for the card and the software.
>There is at least one company with software under a $150 of this type which
>already supports midi interfaces but doesn't support the Soundblaster or Adlib
>cards yet.  They are interested in doing this but they're not sure if the
>market is big enough to invest the time and money. Their name slips my mind
>right now, but if anyone is interested in calling them with pleas I'd be happy
>to email their name and phone number.  I wrote the info down at home.  My
>impression was that given enough interested phone callers they might just be
>persuaded to take the risk and go ahead with the project.

I believe that Passport Designs sells such a software package. It's
called master Tracks Pro for windows.  There is also one called Trax for
windows.  master tracks is, I believe ~$400 and Trax is ~$99.  They also
sell a variety of midi sequences.

I have never used the product, and have no connection with them.

Passport Designs Inc.
625 Miramontes St.
Half Moon Bay, CA
94019
Phone: 415-726-0280

talvola@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Erik Talvola) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.213712.14268@starnet.uucp> pmahler@starnet.uucp (Paul Mahler) writes:

   In article <22.27d27e41@fryeten.uucp> doug@fryeten.uucp writes:
   >In article <1991Feb28.165754.6970@topaz.ucq.edu.au>, enzerinkp@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
   >> I have a Sound Blaster card and am happy with the sound it produces as music
   >> and samples. What I find frustrating is the lack of decent software (any) for
   >> producing my own music files and editing digitised samples. The ROL demos are
   >> good, but what software is used to produce them? I have FMSOUND for Windows
   >> 3.0, but it doens't have a facility for composition. Any answers?
   >>

   >I agree.  I have the money to spend on one of these boards but with the lack of
   >software available for musical composition it does me no good.  I would like to
   >see something that I can write and edit a traditional musical score and then be
   >able to play it through the Soundblaster and also be able to print it out on a
   >dot matrix printer.  If someone puts some software together to do that for
   >$150.00 or less then I'll plug out the money for the card and the software.
   >There is at least one company with software under a $150 of this type which
   >already supports midi interfaces but doesn't support the Soundblaster or Adlib
   >cards yet.  They are interested in doing this but they're not sure if the
   >market is big enough to invest the time and money. Their name slips my mind
   >right now, but if anyone is interested in calling them with pleas I'd be happy
   >to email their name and phone number.  I wrote the info down at home.  My
   >impression was that given enough interested phone callers they might just be
   >persuaded to take the risk and go ahead with the project.

There is a Shareware/Freeware program called Musician which I have seen
on a few BBS's around the US.  It was written by some people in Finland.
It lets you enter music in sheet-music format, and then play them (on
a SoundBlaster or AdLib I think - I have a SB and it works fine) back,
and print them (haven't tried this - don't have a printer).  If anyone
wants a copy, I could probably mail it out to them, or upload it to
some anonymous FTP site.

-- Erik

P.S.: What happened to sequent.mcs.kent.edu -??? It was a great FTP
site for SoundBlaster software (I think I got Musician from there),
but anonymous FTP doesn't seem to work there anymore.

--
! Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative