[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] phantom

LOGIN@wimsey.bc.ca (03/12/91)

To: van-bc!uunet!comp-binaries-ibm-pc
>From: Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.UUCP (Ullrich Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: v10i240: phantom, please repost--errors
Date: 11 Mar 91 11:54:36 GMT

I tried uudecoding this file and got error line 38 too long or too short.  I
downloaded this message twice and compared the two copies.  They are identical.
Please re-post.  It looks like an interesting product.   Thanks.  -uf.

mcohen@amsaa-cleo.brl.mil (Marty Cohen) (03/13/91)

I got phantom downloaded and apparently working, but when I ran the
demo playback it used a dos subshell and worked fine until the end.
At that point it started writing nulls to my hard disk.  I had to
reboot to stop it.  When I ran chkdsk to get rid of the six-megabyte
unclosed file of nulls, it gave the "possible non-dos disk" message.
Everything else seems to be OK, but I don't know how to fix the FAT
media status byte, so I keep getting the same message whenever I run
chkdsk.  Can someone tell me where to look for the FAT with debug?

I have MKS Tools running in user-login mode (I start init.exe from
config.sys).  My machine is an original IBM/XT with a new 20MB disk.
I am running Compaq DOS 3.31.  Intel 8088; BIOS 11/8/82.
Marty Cohen mcohen@brl.mil  {uunet|rutgers}!brl!mcohen
Custom House Rm 800, Phila. PA 19106 (215)597-8377