[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] This week's download statistics of garbo, Vaasa, Finland

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/01/91)

Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the
download list is based on samples taken at 20 minute intervals on
the access time changes of the directories.  Thus the statistics is
quite approximate.  The list is cut off at 10 downloads.  The
original list contained 1256 items.  The approximate total number of
downloads was 5828 files.  The files with no description are either
no longer on garbo.uwasa.fi lists (they were mainly old versions) or
there is some technical problem with the description.

  81 lha210e.exe    LHa compression for .lzh files v 2.10 English version
  73 scanv74b.zip   McAfee's fabulous virus scanner
  50 clean74b.zip   Clean-up virus remover (run SCANV55 or greater) 6.8v74-
  42 ftpsites.lst   Ftp sites for anonymous login (1 Feb 1991)
  42 blast.zoo      Moraff's Blast I v1.5 (HERC/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA) (great)
  38 lha205e.exe    LHa v2.05 test version; better than LHarc
  37 vshld74b.zip   VSHIELD TSR 3.0v74-B - protects against known virus (wa
  37 quadvga.lzh    Quadralien, game, (req's EGA/VGA) (good)
  32 sg.zoo         The Game StarGoose from the binaries (VGA?)
  32 arj100.exe     An .arj archiver from Robert Kung.
  28 casetool.zip   Casetool incl. graphics & drawing etc (huge; 3.7M)
  28 batchftp102.t  Z  Get files automatically by FTP, a definite must!
  27 nktools.zip    Source to some useful TP (4.0 & 5.0) units
  26 vcopy74.zip    Virus-protected copy 0.5v74 by McAfee
  26 tp6map.zip     Map of 500 procedure entry points in the TP6
  24 4dos302.zip    4dos v3.02 command.com replacement (good)
  23 pkz110eu.exe   PKZIP/PKUNZIP "Euroversion" with no encryption
  23 netscn74.zip   NETSCAN network viruscan v74; scans for known virus str
  23 hydk420.zip    Windows aware disk cache (replace smartdrv.sys) (great)
  22 harri.gif      me, myself and I ...
  22 chess101.zip   GNUCHESS (3.1) for Windows v1.01 (good)
  21 piclb182.zip   PicLab v1.82; manipulate gif pictures (also SVGA)
  20 zoo201.exe     Zoo packing/unpacking facility from Rahul Dhesi
  19 lh113de.com    LHarc (un)compressions for .lzh files; v1.13d
  19 36psfnts.zip   36 Type 1 fonts (ATM)
  18 winsdl.txt     Microsoft Supplemental Drivers Library info
  18 bananoid.zip   Bananoid, game, (req's VGA) (nice)
  18 4dos302u.zip   4dos v3.02a update package (with doc)
  17 pak251.exe     NoGate (un)packing for .pak, .arc and .zip files
  17 gif2bmp.zip    GIF to BMP v1.0
  17 cshw823a.zip   CompuShow GIF viewer v8.23a (w SVGA) (good)
  17 comic.zip      Run through the scenes
  16 unzip401.tar.  Unzip unpacking for Unix
  16 ftp.man        Beginner's Guide to ftp
  16 fonts.lzh      A large number of PS screen fonts (great)
  16 arc602.exe     SEA's packing/unpacking system for .arc files.
  15 zm301.zip      Zip Manager v3.01 (good)
  15 winpoker.zip   Windows Poker! v1.0
  15 vgif40.zip     VGA gif picture showing program
  15 tvga2b.zip     Trident Windows drivers v2.0b (Dec 90)
  15 st22.zip       ScreamTracker v2.2 plays Amiga SoundTracker sounds (goo
  15 simibm.arc     List of files in Simtel20, 26-Feb-91
  15 rtsystem.zip   Real-time raytracing demo (a moon orbiting a planet) (n
  15 icondr12.zip   IconDraw v1.2
  15 gifpoems.lzh   GIF, art & poems
  15 giflib11.zip   GIF library v1.1 (impressive) (w TC)
  15 ftpsites.arc   A list of ftp sites by Jon Granrose, 1-Jan-91
  15 dezip.exe      DeZip v2.0; ZIP-extractor
  15 alwin.zip      Active Life v1.1 time management system (good)
  14 vuimg295.zip   GIF/TIFF viewer v2.95 (Herc,EGA,(S)/(E)VGA)
  14 tm211-1.zip    TeleMate v2.11 (incl. multitasking kernel) (good)
  14 snarf.zoo      Snarf v2.02 (EGA) arcade games (neat)
  14 lha205j.exe
  14 icon330.zip    Icon Library; a large collection of good quality icons
  14 dsz1216.zip    Z-modem file transfer protocol release 16-Dec-90
  14 dartdemo.zip   Logic Simulator - Dart v2.26
  14 conquest.zip
  14 bangbang.zip   Bang! Bang! Cannon-fire game v1.00
  13 xmdisk.lzh     GCC for MS-DOS (sorry, no docs) (incl. SYSV5 emu for 38
  13 wintris.arc    Tetris for Ms Windows v2.0
  13 wingif09.zip   WinGif v0.9; Windows gif viewer (problems...)
  13 win30drv.zip   Paradise VGA drivers (incl. Fast VGA)
  13 objetris.zip   OBJetris v1.0; Objective Tetris
  13 mrmind.zip     MasterMind Logic Game v1.1
  13 lharcsrc.zoo   Lharc for Unix (to handle .lzh files) ver 1.02
  13 jason2.zoo     Jason Jupiter II, Star Cadet
  13 inter191.zip   Ralf Brown's list of PC interrupts, impressive
  13 ftphelp        Ftp information and advice
  13 frain151.zoo   Fractint v15.1; Mandelbrot and Julia set fractal images
  13 fhard101.zip   Device driver makes 5Mb removable disk from 360K floppi
  13 dosref18.zip   Programmer's technical reference for msdos, 26-Oct-90
  12 wck150.zip     WinCheck v1.50 checkbook progr (impressive)
  12 news.zip       News (font) 8,10,12,14,18,24,30 (VGA)
  12 manual.ps.Z    IBM Minix v1.5 demo manual (ps)
  12 jason.zoo      Jason Jupiter, Star Cadet
  12 horse.zip      Galloping horse & YinYang v1.0
  12 fmsound.zip    Use FM synthesis abilities of your sound card
  12 dvimswin.arc   TeX .dvi previewer for MS-Windows v1.03 or > (req's win
  12 dosicons.zip   Icons for popular Dos programs
  12 basstour.zip   Fishing game (req's EGA)
  12 atom.exe       Music & graphics demo (req's VGA)
  12 advent.zip     Advent Calendar v1.0
  11 zdoc0108.zip   A good dsz z-modem documentation. A must for dsz zmodem
  11 tm211-3.zip    TeleMate v2.11 (incl. multitasking kernel)
  11 soviet.zip     Soviet Block; tetrisish game
  11 rawrite.exe.Z
  11 poker.zip      Draw Poker v1.0 (good)
  11 pk361.exe      This packs and unpacks .arc files (self-extracting)
  11 parawin3.zip   Paradise SVGA drivers for Win3 rel 2
  11 id12.zip       Intelligent Disassembler v1.2
  11 ibmminix.Z     IBM Minix v1.5 demo
  11 elephnts.zip   Elephants (BMP)
  11 cpuuse12.zip   CPU usage meter v1.2
  10 yo.exe         Another music & graphics demo (req's VGA)
  10 winsdl4.zip    Microsoft Supplemental Drivers Library #4
  10 wineyes.zip    WinEyes v1.02 (xeyes/eyecon)
  10 tvgawin3.zip   Trident Utilities for Windows v3.0
  10 tspfon29.arc   Utilities and advice for Procomm Plus.
  10 tarzan.zip     ScreamTracker sample sounds
  10 taipei.zip     Taipei (mahjong)
  10 stafield.zip   Starfield v1.0; space-like star demo with mouse
  10 pokersq.zip
  10 obj2asm.zip    OBJ to ASM (sorry, no docs...)
  10 gs_2_0.exe     Ghostscript v2.0 interpreter executable
  10 fish3.zip      Microsoft Fish! v1.0
  10 cprof.zip      C profiler (with Turbo C support)
  10 corewar.zip    CoreWar (req's EGA/VGA)
  10 checkers.exe   (Freeware) Checkers Program v1.0
  10 bgidrv.zip     Develop your own BGI device drivers
  10 arc.tar.Z      Arc un/packing for Unix (for .arc files)
  10 alm101.zip     Almanac for Windows v1.01 (great)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) (03/02/91)

> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the

Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??

If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..

--Kauto

--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*  Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta,Finland   *

komatsu@alcor.usc.edu (Sound Letter Test) (03/03/91)

In article <HUOPIO.91Mar2034430@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

>> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
>> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the
>
>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
>
>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..
>
>--Kauto

Granted that if everybody sent a list to c.b.i.p.d it may be chaos but I do
have to say to Timo please CONTINUE to post these.  Timo has worked hard
to keep garbo as one of the foremost sites and spends hours helping people
find the programs they want.  Personally I like these posts and also the
new program uploads and Simtel for the following reasons

1)  To find new program
2)  To find out what is popular.  Many times I will see a program on the
    list and then since it is popular go and download it and in most cases
    find I also like it.
3)  I am sure many software developers would like to know how their programs
    are doing.  Personally I wish SIMTEL would also post a frequent d/l list.

That's just my opinion though... anybody else?

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Note: ccb.ucsf.edu contains 15 megs of sound files for REmac & Playmac |
| Mail: sound@ccb.ucsf.edu (with ADD-ME: name@site to be added to the    |
|       sound list providing information on PC sound programs            |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| sound@ccb.ucsf.edu                |  Playmac Technologies              |
| komatsu@aludra.usc.edue           |  Co-author / Public Relations      |
| -----> Dave                       |  Playmac 2.00, SIMP, TP, QL etc    |

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/03/91)

In article <HUOPIO.91Mar2034430@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

>> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
>> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the
>
>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
:

A good question as such, Kauto, but knowing the motivation behind
your question, I wish that you would get off my back, and keep the
Finnish ftp-site infighting out of the net.  Why don't you
concentrate on making your own ftp sites good ones instead of
sniping at garbo.uwasa.fi?

sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (03/04/91)

KH> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LF)
TS> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)

TS> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
TS> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the

KH> Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??

TS> A good question as such, Kauto, but knowing the motivation behind
TS> your question, I wish that you would get off my back, and keep the
TS> Finnish ftp-site infighting out of the net.  Why don't you
TS> concentrate on making your own ftp sites good ones instead of
TS> sniping at garbo.uwasa.fi?

Purely speculation on my part, but the reasons (in my mind) are as
follows:

1) People want to know what programs are really popular (this would
   especially apply to shareware authors).
2) (From an int'l perspective): How many people in North America are
   downloading programs from archives in Finland when said files are
   available elsewhere?  (I say this, since there's a report talking
   about which sites use garbo quite heavily.)

Perhaps Mr. Salmi can confirm this?

---
Sander Rabinowitz       | sjr@mcimail.com -or- | std.disclaimer
Farmington Hills, Mich. | sander@attmail.com   |       8-)

storm@cs.mcgill.ca (Marc WANDSCHNEIDER) (03/04/91)

>1)  To find new programs
>2)  To find out what is popular.  Many times I will see a program on the
>    list and then since it is popular go and download it and in most cases
>    find I also like it.
>3)  I am sure many software developers would like to know how their programs
>    are doing.  Personally I wish SIMTEL would also post a frequent d/l list.

   I would not even be aware of the EXISTANCE of garbo.uwasa.fi if it were
not for the posts from there.

   I find them very useful in keeping 'up to date'.  I wasn't even aware
that a new release of LHARC had been made until I read a post saying it was
one of the most popular uploads...

./*-

storm@cs.mcgill.ca         McGill University           It's 11pm, do YOU
Marc Wandschneider         Montreal, CANADA            know what time it is?

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar3.232836.5706@terminator.cc.umich.edu> sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Sander J. Rabinowitz) writes:
>KH> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LF)
>KH> Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
:
>1) People want to know what programs are really popular (this would
>   especially apply to shareware authors).

Quite right.  Furthermore if one looks at BBSes for an analogy, they
very often have these TOP lists which make interesting reading on
the side of their recently uploaded files lists.  These two are
probably what many users of BBSes use to filter interesting files
from the plethora of files available and around.

>2) (From an int'l perspective): How many people in North America are
>   downloading programs from archives in Finland when said files are
>   available elsewhere?  (I say this, since there's a report talking
>   about which sites use garbo quite heavily.)
>
>Perhaps Mr. Salmi can confirm this?

When you looked at the second of the garbo.uwasa.fi download
statistics, you saw that it also gives ftp contacts by sites.  One
has to draw the conclusions from there.  Dowloading by North
American sites from garbo.uwasa.fi seems quite significant, but one
would have to have a similar statistics from North American sites in
order to draw comparative conclusions.

 In way of a general note: Obviously not everyone likes the
garbo.uwasa.fi show, and the frequency of my postings.  But the name
of the ftp-site game is not only having lots of files available, but
being able to convey information on what is potentially interesting,
and having the files well organized and documented.  It is not just
a simple question of a large harddisk capacity.  Nor should the name
of the game be striving for a maximum number of downloads (that
could easily be achieved by making dirty gif pictures available, as
some sites previously did).

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (03/04/91)

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

>> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
>> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the

>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??

>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..

Applause, applause!  I've been meaning to post something like this for
quite some time.  I find the information a total waste of network
resources.

I manage an ftp site which has ~10,000 anonymous ftp logins per month.
I doubt seriously anyone would be interested in the most active files,
or the most active ftp user in the bunch.

Perhaps the folks in Finland are doing this for some sort of financial
justification of their resources?  (Don't all of our bosses love it
when we crank out those quantitative reports?!)  :)

--

michael regoli
regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

uh@informatik.uni-kiel.dbp.de (Ulrich Hoffmann) (03/04/91)

I find the weekly download statistics from uwasa especially useful.
(One of the regular captured messages.) ts, please continue to send them.

In <HUOPIO.91Mar2034430@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

kh>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
kh>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
kh>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
kh>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..

I'm sorry, but garbo.uwasa.fi *is* one of the most popular ftp sites in Europe.
The weekly download list is something like the euro charts -- eg. it shows
you, what programs are popular (and maybe a good choice to look at).
Even, if you are not located in Europe and/or ftp from other sites, it nevertheless
will give you a hint what's current state of art.

[By the way, nobody forces you to read the messages. You should be able to
 selectively KILL message with a given topic, shouldn't you?]

Just defending...

               Greetings,
                          Ulrich

Ulrich Hoffmann
Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet Kiel, Institut fuer Informatik
Preusserstr. 1 - 9                   , D - 2300 Kiel 1
Telefon: ++49-431-5604-59            , Telefax: ++49-431-566143
EMail: uh@majestix.informatik.uni-kiel.dbp.de

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (03/05/91)

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

>> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
>> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the

>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??

>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..

As far as I observe it there is a monthly summary of news at SIMTEL. And
I like it.

What I miss is a download statistic of SIMTEL and of it's major mirror
sites, too. But once a month would be enough (for me :-). And may be
that a europe-wide distribution of the download statistics of garbo would
be sufficient. But that's not my problem.

And let's thank ts and his staff, that they not only tell XYZ.ZIP downloaded
twentynine times but add it's purpose and a (personal) judgement (good).
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)

car@ramecs.UUCP (Chris Rende) (03/07/91)

From article <1991Mar4.140951.12045@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, by regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli):

>>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
>
>>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
>>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
>>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
>>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..
>
> Applause, applause!  I've been meaning to post something like this for
> quite some time.  I find the information a total waste of network
> resources.

I've been think about posting something about the download statistics too.

This newsgroup should be used for discussing the IBM PC binaries which are
posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc. That's why I read this newsgroup.

I'm not interested in anyone else's download/FTP statistics.

And besides, unless you collect the statistics from a significant cross-
section of the downloading/FTPing sites, you really can't tell what is really
generally popular. What's popular in Finland isn't necessarilly what's
popular in Michigan.

If someone feels that they must share their download/FTP statistics, try
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc or something else.

I think that this newsgroup should be used for discussing the
comp.binaries.ibm.pc postings.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,UnixPC/3B1

bourd@buster.cps.msu.edu (Robert Bourdeau) (03/07/91)

In article <300@ramecs.UUCP>, car@ramecs.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>From article <1991Mar4.140951.12045@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, by
regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli):

>>>Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
>>
>>>If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
>>>send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
>>>site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
>>>we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..
>>
>> Applause, applause!  I've been meaning to post something like this for
>> quite some time.  I find the information a total waste of network
>> resources.
>
>I've been think about posting something about the download statistics too.
>
>This newsgroup should be used for discussing the IBM PC binaries which are
>posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc. That's why I read this newsgroup.
>
>I'm not interested in anyone else's download/FTP statistics.
>
>And besides, unless you collect the statistics from a significant cross-
>section of the downloading/FTPing sites, you really can't tell what is really
>generally popular. What's popular in Finland isn't necessarilly what's
>popular in Michigan.
>
>If someone feels that they must share their download/FTP statistics, try
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc or something else.
>
>I think that this newsgroup should be used for discussing the
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc postings.

Well, I disagree.  Since Garbo is an active archive site, I am interested
in the IBM pc binaries that they have added to their archive.  Seems to be
less of a waste of bandwidth than all of the discussion about Commander
Keen (even if it is a good game).

Robert Bourdeau
bourd@buster.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University

hazenpa@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Pete Hazen) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar7.151013.24968@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> bourd@buster.cps.msu.edu (Robert Bourdeau) writes:

>In article <300@ramecs.UUCP>, car@ramecs.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>>From article <1991Mar4.140951.12045@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, by
>regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli):

*** some lines deleted in the interest of brevity ...  but you get the idea ***

>Well, I disagree.  Since Garbo is an active archive site, I am interested
>in the IBM pc binaries that they have added to their archive.  Seems to be
>less of a waste of bandwidth than all of the discussion about Commander
>Keen (even if it is a good game).
>
>Robert Bourdeau
>bourd@buster.cps.msu.edu
>Michigan State University

I would have to agree with Robert above.  I find the download statistics
to be quite a useful check on the availability of new software at garbo.
Many a time have I found just the utility that I needed because of this
listing.  To satisfy those that complain that they are too frequent I
might suggest that Timo post them bi-weekly instead.  But all should be
reminded that there's an "n" key to bypass such messages (in rn anyway).

Just my $0.02.
---

Pete Hazen                                 | (302) 733-9520
Du Pont Electronic Imaging Systems         | (302) 733-9541 (FAX)
P.O. Box 6099, Newark, DE  USA  19714-6099 | hazenpa@pyro.ei.dupont.com

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/09/91)

The moderator of wuarchive.wustl.edu (can't think of his name off hand) posts
a similiar list to the BITNET LISTSERV discussion PCSERV-L on a monthly basis.
Last semester, someone complained about those posts as well.  To solve the
problem, he took a vote.

I don't remember exactly how many people responded, but I do know that there
was only ONE (1) vote AGAINST the monthly posting.

Anyway, I have 2 suggestions.

1)  Cut the postings back to every 2 weeks.  This is still frequent enough to
    keep everyone up to date on what's popular, and infrequent enough to not
    bother people who are to lazy to put the subject in their kill file.

2)  Take a vote similiar to the one done on PCSERV-L or those done for new
    newsgroups.  Use that to decide whether or not to continue.

Sorry if these have been posted already, but I'm a *BIT* behind in news (130+
articles :-).

Maybe these stats could be posted to comp.archives.... I don't remember seeing
such lists in that group... maybe we could start a trend.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/10/91)

It would probably be a good idea *not* to post statistics which show
heavy usage of overseas paths.  That is inviting trouble from the
managers of the network which must carry such packets.

If I were Timo I wouldn't call attention to such use.  It's things
like this which bring on changes in policy such as the upcoming
Milnet "charge-back" for packets sent.  Later this year all Milnet
sites will be paying for outgoing packets.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) (03/10/91)

I tried to ftp (anonymous) to garbo.uwasa.fi --I could connect, but couldn't
accomplish anything. Even asking for a directory listing (ls) would bring the
message that the system had been interrupted, and there was no available path.
Timo Salmi can post what ever he chooses for all I care --You can't increase
anonymous ftp is his system (or those between) if the path won't allow trans-
fers. Sysadmins who worry about cost have the opportunity to remove the system
from their hostpath --or limit the type of transfer which occurs.

Reply To: tau-ceti!dogear!root@isc-br.com  (Bob Kirkpatrick, Dog Ear'd Systems)
                 A Division of Brand-X, Spokane,  WA 99202

solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com (Richard L. Solomon) (03/12/91)

> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:
>

> >> Here are the download statistics for garbo.uwasa.fi archives for the
> >> period from Fri 22-Feb-91 to Fri 1-Mar-91.  This version of the
>
> >Now, DO WE NEED WEEKLY DOWNLOAD STATISTICS??
>
> >If every single FTP site in the net that has IBM PC material would
> >send their stats to c.b.i.p.d.. I mean, is garbo.uwasa.fi so special
> >site that its statistics are a MUST-TO-READ to every net.person ? Why
> >we don't have here SIMTEL20 stats? ftp.funet.fi? Just wondering..

	I have to agree.  I am a frequent user of garbo's mailserver, and find
it to be an invaluable resource, but I really don't see the necessity for
that listing being posted.  Keep the stats sure, but make them available for
download, don't force 1000's of sites across the world to PAY for the
"privilege" of seeing your download stats.

-----

Richard Solomon
Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM
...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!Richard.Solomon

NCR Microelectronics
1635 Aeroplaza Drive
Colorado Springs, CO  80916
(719) 596-5795 x386

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar8.233407.22803@pyro.ei.dupont.com> hazenpa@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Pete Hazen) writes:
:
>I would have to agree with Robert above.  I find the download statistics
>to be quite a useful check on the availability of new software at garbo.
>Many a time have I found just the utility that I needed because of this
>listing.  To satisfy those that complain that they are too frequent I
>might suggest that Timo post them bi-weekly instead.  But all should be
>reminded that there's an "n" key to bypass such messages (in rn anyway).

Pointer to pointer to garbo.uwasa.fi weekly download statistics:
  /pc/pd2/0news-pd2
Pointer to selected news announcements on garbo.uwasa.fi updates and
uploads:
  /pc/pd2/0news-pd2
Pointer to withheld postings:
  /pc/pd2/0post