[net.followup] West Berlin - Ronnie's or Mike's ?

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (05/12/86)

In article <2500007@coma.UUCP> ao@coma.UUCP writes:
>How can we convince UCB, state (?) or federal (?) authorities
>that we are 'their' Berlin, and do not belong to the 'empire of evil'.

It's good ol' Ronnie who carries the can for this one. He has set up an
organisation called COCOM to prevent the commies getting equipment, software
and "know-how" from the US that they (the commies) could use for military
purposes. Fair enough you might think, but COCOM think the commies start
at the US border, so even "strong allies" like the UK, Canada, W. Germany
are similary affected by the embargo. A research project here has been held
up for about a year because we couldn't get the necessary software exported
from the US.

Nice to know the members of the NATO alliance trust each other, eh?

		Jim

christer@kuling.UUCP (Christer Johansson) (05/13/86)

In article <941@kuling.UUCP> of Mon, 12-May-86 17:35:58 GMT
andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) writes:
>In article <2500007@coma.UUCP> ao@coma.UUCP writes:
>>In December 1985 we [TUC] received the following telex [from UCB]:
>>> because of recent new amendmendts to the u.s. export
>>> administration act [We = UCB] will require an
>>> assurance regarding re-export of our software.

>>How can we convince UCB, state (?) or federal (?) authorities
>>that we are 'their' Berlin, and do not belong to the 'empire of evil'.
               ^^^^^
>These restrictions are not applied to eastern Europe only, but to any
>potential "transit" country.

Yes, but ao seams to say that TUC is in the part of Berlin that's occupied by
the US. Do US authorities consider the USA and her 'colonies' as a potentilal
transit country??!!??
--
SMail: Christer Johansson  UUCP:  {seismo,seismo!mcvax}!enea!kuling!christer
       Sernandersv. 9:136  ARPA:  enea!kuling!christer@SEISMO.CSS.GOV

andersa@kuling.UUCP (Anders Andersson) (05/13/86)

In article <2500007@coma.UUCP> ao@coma.UUCP writes:
>In December 1985 we received the following telex:
>> Your application for 4.2 bsd is now complete. However, we need to
>> inform you that because of recent new amendmendts to the u.s. export
>> administration act of 1979 our legal counsel of the university of
>> california will require an assurance from all bsd licensees
>> regarding re-export of our software. We hope to send you the

>Are there people on the net, who have similar expierences ?
>
>How can we convince UCB, state (?) or federal (?) authorities
>that we are 'their' Berlin, and do not belong to the 'empire of evil'.
>                                   ^^^

These restrictions are not applied to eastern Europe only, but to any
potential "transit" country - maybe that includes all of Europe, I don't
know. According to some rumor a few years ago, USA trusted Yugoslavia more
than Sweden. We had some trouble with a VAX travelling around the world,
finally being caught in the Swedish customs - it was said to be shipped to
the USSR, but the government decided it was "warfare material" and thus
managed to confiscate it and send it back to the manufacturer. Today we
too have some law regarding this kind of export, but I don't know exactly
what it says. Anyway, I hope we are considered reasonably "clear" by now.
--
Anders Andersson, Dept. of Computer Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden
Phone: +46 18 183170

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/15/86)

> West Berlin: Our's or their's ?
>
> On June 6th, 1985, TUB's ( Technische Universitaet ( West ) Berlin )
> Department of Applied Computer Science ordered the   ^^^^
> Berkeley 4.2 Software Distribution.
>
> All the items needed for the purchase had been sent:
> - AT&T Unix/32V System V Software Agreement
> - a check for US $ 750.00
> - site info etc.
>
> In December 1985 we received the following telex:
> > Your application for 4.2 bsd is now complete. However, we need to
> > inform you that because of recent new amendmendts to the u.s. export
> > administration act of 1979 our legal counsel of the university of
> > california will require an assurance from all bsd licensees
> > regarding re-export of our software. We hope to send you the
> > form for such an assurance soon, probably in the beginning of the new
> > year.
> >
> > Until then we will be unable to ship your distribution ....
>
> Until now, we neither have received such a form, nor any other information
> on how to obtain the distribution.
>
> Are there people on the net, who have similar expierences ?
>
> How can we convince UCB, state (?) or federal (?) authorities
> that we are 'their' Berlin, and do not belong to the 'empire of evil'.
>                                    ^^^
> We'll soon get in real trouble with some research projects and courses
> that rely on the availability of the BSD sources.
>
> Arnfried Ossen

They know which Berlin you are in -- the problem is a bad habit of the
Soviets to purchase restricted items through dummy organizations in
friendly countries.

Clayton E. Cramer

cramer@kontron.UUCP (05/20/86)

> In article <2500007@coma.UUCP> ao@coma.UUCP writes:
> >How can we convince UCB, state (?) or federal (?) authorities
> >that we are 'their' Berlin, and do not belong to the 'empire of evil'.
>
> It's good ol' Ronnie who carries the can for this one. He has set up an
> organisation called COCOM to prevent the commies getting equipment, software
> and "know-how" from the US that they (the commies) could use for military
> purposes. Fair enough you might think, but COCOM think the commies start
> at the US border, so even "strong allies" like the UK, Canada, W. Germany
> are similary affected by the embargo. A research project here has been held
> up for about a year because we couldn't get the necessary software exported
> from the US.
>
> Nice to know the members of the NATO alliance trust each other, eh?
>
> 		Jim

Restrictions on export of military goods (and even things that might be
used for military purposes) predate President Reagan by years.  Please
learn a little history before you say utterly false things.

The problem isn't lack of trust of our NATO allies -- the problem is
Soviet bloc countries purchasing items through "fronts" in other countries.
This problem exists here as well.

Clayton E. Cramer