[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Submission for comp-binaries-ibm-pc

cem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Malloy) (04/21/89)

In article <6849@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, kemp@cs.umn.edu (Stuart R. Kemp) writes:

> I am looking for the following packages to run under the
> windows environment:
>  - High performance word processor
>  - Drawing package, with full-color support; supports bezier
>    curves, free-hand drawing, accepts scanned images
>  Both using hi-res fonts.
>
> If you have any info on these, please send me email.

For just a word processor, there is only one that runs under windows.  It
is called Ami and is from Samna.  However, if you want more than just a
simple word processor check out PageMaker from Aldus.

For a drawing package, I have two that use bezier curves, etc.  Adobe
Illustrator and Arts & Letters Graphic Editor.  Of the two, Illustrator
runs like a pig.  You must have at least a 286 machine and at least 2Mb
of LIM Spec memory.  I can also find nothing about it running better
with a math co-processor.  Arts & Letters, on the other hand, runs great.
It is faster, has a math co-processor version, runs on any PC, and the
new version has every feature that Adobe Illustrator 88 for the Mac has.
That is something the Adobe has not done for the PC version.

Clancy Malloy

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (05/04/89)

From: burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: we need an unmoderated binaries group
Date: 3 May 89 08:24:14 GMT

In article <6345@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> hartung@amos.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) writes:
>In article <1944@csuna.csun.edu> abcscagz@csuna.csun.edu (Jeff Boeing) writes:
>>
>>Back in the good old days before c.b.i.p became moderated, anyone who wanted
>>to share his binaries with the usenet world was free to.
[ ... ]
>>again, I am led to understand that the posting of the long-awaited PC
>>NetHack version 2.3 will be delayed due to problems at Rahul's end.
>

>Now, as to an unmoderated newsgroup, there are some problems.
>	(4) Et cetera.
>
>The unmoderated c.b.i.p. was about to be closed down due to the above
>difficulties.  It exists now only because it is moderated.

In addition to the problems of viruses, "junk," copywrited material,
etc., it seems to me that an unmoderated group leaves little incentive
for people to use the moderated group.  People would probably feel safer
with moderated-group postings, but the easiest route for posters would
be to throw it to the unmoderated group.

Part of the motivation for reopening these question seems to revolve
around the posting of a game.  Why is the speed with which games are
attained sufficient concern to reopen the moderation issue?  Maybe I
don't understand because I haven't played this game...:-)

Please, let's not go over all this again.  The few down times are not
that significant, and we can certainly live without binaries for a few
days.  Good stuff gets posted here, but life will go on during delays.
I for one do not want to go back to that (unmoderated) chaos.

[Jeff Hartung's text suggests one of the uses of moderation: had the
group not been moderated, the game would have been posted, cancelled,
posted, cancelled, and posted again.  One way or the other, resources of
both time and system have been saved by moderation, which is as it
should be.]

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

cheewai@spinifex.cs.unsw.oz.au (03/14/91)

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d,comp.binaries.ibm.pc
Subject: Minitab for PC?
Date: 14 Mar 91 12:24:35 GMT

I am looking for a public domain implementation of the maths program
"minitab" for PC. I think there is such a program. Can I get a guide
to where I can get it?

Thanks in advance

Chee-Wai Yeung (cheewai@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au)