[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] VRAM386 in SIMTEL20 corrupted??

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) (03/15/91)

Hi, I just download pd1:<msdos.sysutl>vram386.zip from SIMTEL20.
I cannot unpack it using pkunzip.
The file seems to be corrupted.
I download the file from another site and it has the same problem.
Can whoever is in charge look into this?

Thanks.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/16/91)

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
>I just download pd1:<msdos.sysutl>vram386.zip from SIMTEL20.
>I cannot unpack it using pkunzip.
>The file seems to be corrupted.
>I download the file from another site and it has the same problem.
>Can whoever is in charge look into this?

Ok.

SIMTEL20> unzip -t vram386
Testing: CHKMEM.EXE    OK
Testing: HRAM.EXE      OK
Testing: HRAM1.DOC     OK
Testing: HRAMDEV.SYS   OK
Testing: READ.ME       OK
Testing: VRAM386A.DOC  OK
Testing: VRAM386.SYS   OK
Testing: VRAM386.DOC   OK
Testing: HRAM.SYS      OK

No problem there.  Must be your FTP was in the wrong mode, or you
downloaded with Kermit and forgot to tell your host's Kermit to use
binary mode.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) (03/16/91)

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) writes:

>>I just download pd1:<msdos.sysutl>vram386.zip from SIMTEL20.
>>I cannot unpack it using pkunzip.
>>The file seems to be corrupted.
>>I download the file from another site and it has the same problem.
>>Can whoever is in charge look into this?

>SIMTEL20> unzip -t vram386
.
.
.
>Testing: VRAM386.DOC   OK
>Testing: HRAM.SYS      OK

>No problem there.  Must be your FTP was in the wrong mode, or you
>downloaded with Kermit and forgot to tell your host's Kermit to use
>binary mode.

>Keith Petersen
>Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

This is how I download vram386.zip:
1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
   the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

I have download several files before and there is no problem.
When I tried to decode vram386.uue, it gave an error message:
End of file encountered. enter name of another uue file.

I check vram386.uue and there are the 'begin' and 'end' statements and it
looks OK.
I guessed I incorrectly jump to the conclusion that the original
zip file is corrupted.
What have I done wrong here?
How come the procedure works for many other files but not vram??

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) (03/16/91)

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
>This is how I download vram386.zip:
>1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
>   the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
>2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
>3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
>4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

>I have download several files before and there is no problem.
>When I tried to decode vram386.uue, it gave an error message:
>End of file encountered. enter name of another uue file.

>I check vram386.uue and there are the 'begin' and 'end' statements and it
>looks OK.
>I guessed I incorrectly jump to the conclusion that the original
>zip file is corrupted.
>What have I done wrong here?
>How come the procedure works for many other files but not vram??

I use the same procedure on 128.214.12.37 and the file can be
downloaded correctly. Still don't know why it didn't work for
the other two sites.

Thanks a lot.

kmorrill@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Morrill) (03/16/91)

In article <wong.669112367@scapa>, wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
> This is how I download vram386.zip:
> 1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
>    the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
> 2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
> 3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
> 4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

What puzzles me about your general procedure (which I understand almost
always _works_) is why you take the time to turn zipped files that you
want zipped anyway into text files at all before downloading to your pc.

Am I missing something?  Is there some advantage to doing what Brian
describes above as his normal procedure for bringing files to his pc?

Kenneth J. Morrill  <kmorrill@brahms.udel.edu>  (302) 737-5528

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/17/91)

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:

>1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
>   the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
>2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
>3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
>4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

First of all, truer words have never been spoken than the statement/position
that when people have problems with files d/l'd from cbib or Simtel and
assert that the file on the d/l server must therefore be corrupt, those
people are wrong (or, shall we say, they are wrong at least 99.999999%
of the time...)

That said, I should point out that the same claim cannot be made for the
unmoderated groups, where there is no control over how people u/l stuff.

Second, why did you do the uuencode/uudecode pair?  Why not just d/l the .ZIP
file to your PC in binary mode, using any of the popular protocols?
(Xmodem-1K should certainly work)  By doing that, you have broken the
integrity of the original file, and are, therefore, on your own...

(Sorry for the nasty sound of this, but this is really an area where the
doctrine of KISS applies.)

otto@kipuna.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (03/17/91)

In article <19705@brahms.udel.edu> kmorrill@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Morrill) writes:
   In article <wong.669112367@scapa>, wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
   > This is how I download vram386.zip:
   > 1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
   >    the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
   > 2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
   > 3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
   > 4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

   What puzzles me about your general procedure (which I understand almost
   always _works_) is why you take the time to turn zipped files that you
   want zipped anyway into text files at all before downloading to your pc.

Neither do I understand the uuencoding step: xmodem-1k requires a full 8-bit
path for the transfer anyway, why try to textify it first ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/17/91)

In article <wong.669117529@scapa> wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
>wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:
>>This is how I download vram386.zip:
>>1. ftp it from 26.2.0.74. yes I DID use tenex mode.
>>   the second time I tried 128.252.135.4 and I used binary mode.
>>2. uuencode the file, get a file called vram386.uue
>>3. use 1k-xmodem program to download the text file to my pc
>>4. uudecode the file then pkunzip

Perhaps the versions or  uuen/uudecode are not completely compatible?  Check
to see if your uuencode uses ` instead of spaces.  It may be that when you
download, xmodem is stipping trailing blanks, or deleting blanks lines.  I
suppose you should check your settings on xmodem as well.

As to why anyone would want to uuencode a file before downloading, I would like
to mention that this is how I download 99.9% of my stuff.  The system I use to
do most of my downloading ONLY supports kermit.  The main connection I use is
goes through 8-7-8 bit connections.  When I download in binary format, those
conversions take some considerable overhead.  I can download a uuencoded file
in text format faster than I can download the corresponding text file.  This
same connection, when using zmodem to download from this unix system, only
text files can be downloaded.  Binary files with zmodem are right out.  There
are reasons for downloading using this method.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

In article <2420@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) writes:
>conversions take some considerable overhead.  I can download a uuencoded file
>in text format faster than I can download the corresponding text file.  This
                                                             ^^^^
That should say 'corresponding binary file'

--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL
Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly, and be right | operating
all the time, or not work at all, and be right twice a day.  | system. :->

wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) (03/17/91)

Hi,

So far nobody can tell me why my procedure:
ftp - uuencode - transfer - uudecode - pkunzip
WORKS for vram386.zip from 128.214.12.37
but fails for the same(??) file from simtel20 and 128.252.135.4.
I use the above procedure for many other programs and it has not
failed.

A lot of people said I must be doing something wrong and criticized
on my uuencode-uudecode cycle.

I am 100% sure I was using the right mode during ftp.
i.e. tenex with simtel and binary with 128.214 and 128.252.
I uuencode the file first because transfering in binary mode
has given me some problems before on MY machine.
I use: xmodem sbk file.zip and it fails 2 out of 3 times so
I quit using binary transfer.

Anyway, sorry for wasting so much bandwidth and thanks
to all those who are so willing to help.

P.S. The size of the file I ftp from 128.252 is 62644
     but the one I got from 128.214 is 62904.

klf1305@chensun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) (03/17/91)

In article <wong.669178528@scapa> wong@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brian Wong) writes:

>Hi,
>
>So far nobody can tell me why my procedure:
>ftp - uuencode - transfer - uudecode - pkunzip
>WORKS for vram386.zip from 128.214.12.37
>but fails for the same(??) file from simtel20 and 128.252.135.4.
>I use the above procedure for many other programs and it has not
>failed.

	Well, I don't know about anyone else on the net, but
	for me, every once in a while, things just don't work.
	By this, I mean that you do everything right, but the
	results just are not correct.  In my experience, it
	seems to be the ftp part of the procedure.  I usually
	just attribute it to gremlins in the lines, and do
	it again, and it usually works.

Kelly Fergason