[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] About .hqx files

operator@talos.cc.uch.gr (03/16/91)

Can anybody tell me what to do with .hqx files??????

Email address:  farmak@talos.cc.uch.gr

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.180502.1@talos.cc.uch.gr> operator@talos.cc.uch.gr writes:
>Can anybody tell me what to do with .hqx files??????
>
>Email address:  farmak@talos.cc.uch.gr

They're files from Binhex on the Mac, which is similar in purpose to uuencode/
decode.  There is an unbinhexer (?) available on SIMTEL20, in the directory
PD1:<MSDOS.MAC>.  It's in the file xbin23.zip, and it can take them apart
and give you a file.  The source is also available for Unix systems, and I
think it's somewhere else on simtel, but where I'm not sure.  If you don't
know how to access simtel, just browse through the last few day's articles
in this group, and someone will have posted the instructions.  Xbin should
do what you're trying to do.  There are a few other utilities in the same
directory to help with other Mac formats, such as Stuffit and one other
compressor that I'm not familiar with.  Mac's aren't one of my strong points.
If you have any problems, or more questions, send me mail, and I'll see
what I can do.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.180502.1@talos.cc.uch.gr>, operator@talos.cc.uch.gr writes...
>Can anybody tell me what to do with .hqx files??????

This is the Macintosh analogue of "uu**coding".  Decode them on a unix
machine with "mcvert", or on a Macintosh with BinHex 4.0 or StuffIt.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)