[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] GARBO.UWASA.FI

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/19/91)

In article <12011@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> baumgard@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jon Baumgardner) writes:
>I have tried unsuccessfully for weeks to get files from an FTP Anonymous site
>about Turbo Pascal.  I spent all morning today downloading files from
>Garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37).  I got nktools.zip, pas-tool.zip, unit.zip
>and five others.  However, when I downloaded the files to my pc, and trid
>PKUNZIP.exe on them, they were corrupted.  I noticed the file size increased
:

   No the files are _not_ corrupted.  Most of these complaints are a
result of the user's own failure to use the binary mode (tenex in
the case of Simtel20) in the transfer from the ftp site to his/her
own site, and/or his/her failure to transfer the files in the binary
mode from his/her mailframe to the PC.
   If you want more information, you are welcome to email me for the
prerecorded instructions.  Study first them carefully.  That's a
much preferred alternative to conveying the net a wrong impression
of the operationality of any of the ftp sites.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37