[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] qux01_91

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (03/19/91)

From cpib:

> Subject: v10i258: qux01_91, uu and xx encoders (part 01/01)

Is this supposed to work for any binary file?  I have a ZIP
file that, when I use qux01_91 to uuencode and then uudecode
it, the resulting ZIP file (1) fails "pkunzip -t <filename>";
(2) is shorter than the original ZIP file.

For now for me personally, I will continue to use the much
slower (but correct!)

        UU-ENCODE 2.13 FOR PC.  by Richard Marks

                        and

        UU-DECODE 2.14 FOR PC.  by Richard Marks

which are what I've been using error-free for years.

Note: I would have emailed this directly to the author of
qux01_91, but according to the blurb in cpib, he is not
very available just now.
--
Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) (03/19/91)

Sorry, please replace all instances of "cpib"
in my previous post with "cbip."  Please pardon
the error.
--
Roger Fulton
roger@wrq.com

kaldis@remus.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (03/19/91)

In article <18630@milton.u.washington.edu> roger@wrq.com (Roger Fulton) writes:

> From cpib:

>> Subject: v10i258: qux01_91, uu and xx encoders (part 01/01)

> Is this supposed to work for any binary file?

Yes.

> I have a ZIP file that, when I use qux01_91 to uuencode and then
> uudecode it, the resulting ZIP file (1) fails "pkunzip -t <filename>";
> (2) is shorter than the original ZIP file.

Please send me a copy of the *.ZIP file you are having problems with.

> For now for me personally, I will continue to use the much
> slower (but correct!)

>         UU-ENCODE 2.13 FOR PC.  by Richard Marks

>                         and

>         UU-DECODE 2.14 FOR PC.  by Richard Marks

> which are what I've been using error-free for years.

There may be a problem in decoding 2.13 encoded files (2.13 is an old
version).  2.13 adds a checksum character at the end of each line.
The way my algorithm was originally written -- for speed -- it was
unable to handle 2.13 encoded files.  Frankly, I do not recall if I
have changed this (I hesitate to say "fixed" because it wasn't a
matter of mistake, but rather of design).

My decoder/encoder have been around for years, and I have received a
fair amount of feedback over that time.  But the above has not been a
common complaint.

> Note: I would have emailed this directly to the author of
> qux01_91, but according to the blurb in cpib, he is not
> very available just now.

As it happens, rather, he is.  Again, please send me a copy of the
*.ZIP file (send to: kaldis@remus.rutgers.edu), and let me see if I
can duplicate the problem.
--
   Theodore A. Kaldis