[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] EMS or XMS or Extended memory ram disk wanted.

ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) (03/20/91)

If anyone knows of one of these, please send me mail.  All I can find are
ramdisks that use conventional memroy.

Thanks,

Dave
--
David Frascone 				ccastdf@prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology,

c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (03/20/91)

In article <24710@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) writes:
>If anyone knows of one of these, please send me mail.  All I can find are
>ramdisks that use conventional memroy.

Really now, how about DOS's VDISK.SYS?  I think the switch is /E in order
to use extended memory.

Noam Mendelson                       | "I haven't lost my mind,
c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU            |  it's backed up on tape
University of California at Berkeley |  somewhere."

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.053950.13874@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>Really now, how about DOS's VDISK.SYS?  I think the switch is /E in order
>to use extended memory.

	That's fine if you have it (as I do at home, where, alas, I have only
640K), but neither of the DOS boxes I use at the office have VDISK.SYS; they
have instead a driver called RAMDRIVE.SYS which uses expanded memory.

	Now, you wouldn't want us to violate the terms of anyone's Microsoft
license agreement, would you?

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/22/91)

In article <3734@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> carroll@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>	That's fine if you have it (as I do at home, where, alas, I have only
>640K), but neither of the DOS boxes I use at the office have VDISK.SYS; they
>have instead a driver called RAMDRIVE.SYS which uses expanded memory.

The DOS 4.01 version can use expanded or extended.

/a  for expanded
/e  for extended
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (03/22/91)

In article <24710@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastdf@prism.gatech.EDU (Dave) writes:
> If anyone knows of one of these, please send me mail.  All I can find are
> ramdisks that use conventional memroy.

DOS 3.0-3.3:
device=vdisk.sys ... /E

DOS 4: