[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Second Chance

pete@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Kendell) (03/19/91)

After I select the application I want to run, Second Chance takes *forever*
to launch it.  Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

System is a '286 with 8MB, standard mode (natch).

Cheers,

	Peter

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar19.095215.10770@tcom.stc.co.uk> pete@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Kendell) writes:

>After I select the application I want to run, Second Chance takes *forever*
>to launch it.  Is there anything I can do to speed it up?
>
>System is a '286 with 8MB, standard mode (natch).

Peter,
	Short of buying yourself a faster PC, there's nothing you can do.
(Second Chance is pretty slow on the 10 MHz '286 on which I wrote it.)
After you select the application, Second Chance goes straight to DOS
to spawn what you've selected with no intervening disk accesses.
The delay is all in Windows and DOS.

	Second Chance version 1.00 is a "marked" Windows 2.0 application,
which runs either under Windows 2.X or 3.0.  I'm toying with creating a
straight Windows 3.0 version to see if it will run faster.

	Best,
	Robert Heath