[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Carmin San Diego ? anyone ?

b_egan@levers.enet.dec.com (Bob Egan) (03/21/91)

Hi..my wife asked me to post a query as a software package known as
Carmin San Diego...

she says it is some sort of teaching software for IBM's...

Info on the product....and or a ftp location would be greatly
appreciated :)

Thanks...Bob

Bob Egan	b_egan@levers.enet.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!levers.enet.dec.com!b_egan
		--or-- b_egan%levers.dec@decwrl.dec.com

ccy@po.CWRU.Edu (Cheung C. Yue) (03/22/91)

In a previous article, b_egan@levers.enet.dec.com (Bob Egan) says:

>Hi..my wife asked me to post a query as a software package known as
>Carmin San Diego...
>
>she says it is some sort of teaching software for IBM's...
>
>Info on the product....and or a ftp location would be greatly
>appreciated :)

Where in (time/USA/world/Europe) is Carmen San Diego is a
wonderful series of programs from Broderbund.  You should be
able to buy them for less than $30 each.  They all support
EGA, VGA, and even Hercules.  The programs are fairly easy
to use, quite entertaining, and teach the kids something
about geography or history.  I believe all of them come with
a reference book of some sort in which answers to questions
posed in the program can be found.  Where in USA ... has
a copy protection scheme in which the original floppy disk
has to be inserted so one could advance in levels.  This
could be a bit tough on someone <6 years old.  Where in
the world... has a copy protection scheme in which information
has to be looked up in the reference book so it is not so
bad.  Well worth the money.  (I do not work for Broderbund).

--

kimes@cbnewsc.att.com (Kit Kimes) (03/22/91)

From article <2782@shodha.enet.dec.com>, by (Bob Egan):
#
# Hi..my wife asked me to post a query as a software package known as
# Carmin San Diego...
#
# she says it is some sort of teaching software for IBM's...
#
# Info on the product....and or a ftp location would be greatly
# appreciated :)
#
# Thanks...Bob

There are four (?) programs now.  They are commercial (from Broderbund)
and not available from any FTP site.  They run in the neighborhood of
$30-40 each.  Let's see if I can name them:

Where in the World is Carman Sandiego?
Where in the USA is Carman Sandiego?
Where in Europe is Carman Sandiego?
Where in Time is Carman Sandiego?

Many think that the last is the best.  I don't know if they have plans for
any further programs.  They are a sort of mystery adventure.  Your job is
to follow clues and find Carman.  At times you need maps, atlas's and
dictionaries!  They are quite fun and educational.  You learn a lot of
geography, if nothing else.

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
...!att!iwtsa!kimes

drv@cbnewsj.att.com (dennis.r.vogel) (03/23/91)

In article <2782@shodha.enet.dec.com>, b_egan@levers.enet.dec.com (Bob Egan) writes:

> Hi..my wife asked me to post a query as a software package known as
> Carmin San Diego...

There are several Carmen San Diego games on the market by Broderbund.
Where in [Time|The World|The US|Europe] I believe is the complete set.
These are games where the player is given geographic or historic clues
and attempts to track down a villain within a specified time.  My
10 year old liked it very much even though he needed help deciphering
all the clues with the reference material provided with the game (almanac
or desk encyclopedia-type book).  Now that he's 12, he doesn't play it
too much.  Other video games seem to provide more action than the
Carmen games.

Anyway, since they are commercial products, I doubt (hope!) you don't
find them on any system for distribution.  Check your local software
house or mail order distributor for them.  I seem to recall they run
in the $40-50 neighborhood.

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ