[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] v10i246: eedraw20, engineering drawing tool

@crdgw1.ge.com:paley@orc.olivetti.com (exos:) (03/12/91)

Hello;
  I have only received parts 6 to 10 of your drawing tool.  I have
some interest and am looking for an engineering drawing tool for
drawing simple flowcharts and diagrams on the pc. (sometime our
unix systems are slower than the dickens!).  If you could mail me
the missing parts (or whole thing) or suply an address that I could
anonymous'ly ftp the sucker down, I'd have a good time playing with
it.

    Thanks in advance
     Dan Paley
       paley@orc.olivetti.com
            or
        paley@oas.olivetti.com

doctor@vlsi.polymtl.ca (doctor zero) (03/18/91)

In article <3243@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> @crdgw1.ge.com:paley@orc.olivetti.com (exos:) writes:
>Hello;
>the missing parts (or whole thing) or suply an address that I could
>anonymous'ly ftp the sucker down, I'd have a good time playing with

	eedraw20.zip is available in mirrors/msdos/graphics at
	wuarchive.wustl.edu.

--
|						| Everybody, everybody
| doctor@info.polymtl.ca			| I don't know anobody else
| "De toute facon, on est les meilleurs!"	| Ride on time
|						| Strike it up - Black Box !

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (03/22/91)

eedraw is a really nice package, except for the printout. I have an Apex80
from Epson, and with the Epson driver I get drawings that seem to be twice
the size they should be. That is I see only the bottom half of the drawing
and the width also seems to be too wide, although the aspect ratio seems OK.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way round this? Is there a different
package for printing I could use?

If I can get this sorted out, I think I shall register - this will be the
first for a graphics package - I haven't found one worth registering yet
I make do with Dr. Genius which came with my scanner.

I main usage is for flowcharts and HIPO diagrams, and black-box connexions
(such as a video editing set up) Perhaps you have some interesting
suggestions for me?

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

gershon@cs.utah.edu (Gershon Elber) (03/23/91)

In article <697@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>eedraw is a really nice package, except for the printout. I have an Apex80
>from Epson, and with the Epson driver I get drawings that seem to be twice
>the size they should be. That is I see only the bottom half of the drawing
>and the width also seems to be too wide, although the aspect ratio seems OK.

I have seen several queries about the ability to print output of eedraw to
other printers. The story is simple - since I do not have any access to any
other printer at the moment, you will have you do it. I am willing to give
the sources of eedraw to anyone who is interested in porting the drivers to
a different system. You will obviously need to know C (ansi C to be more
exact) and have access to a C compiler. Note that although compiled with
TC++, the sources (of the printer drivers only) uses faily generic C only
and unlike eedraw itself should compile on other compiler with now major
problem. One request though. Please ask for the sources iff you really
intend to do something usefull with them and willing to share your
modifications with us. I had bad experience when eedraw1.0 was released -
several people requested and got the sources, but I never heard from them
since. As a result no new driver was released in eedraw2.0. The same is
unfortunatelly true for libraries. If new libraries were developed for
eedraw, they were not shared with the rest of the world (I have seen one
message sugguesting such a library will be posted to cbip) and so the
libraries in eedraw2.0 are basically the same as eedraw1.0.

>Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way round this? Is there a different
>package for printing I could use?

Probably not. The only alternative (without hacking C code) is to generate
a GIF image (using -g flag of eedepson) and print the GIF images using any
program that print them correctly on your printer.

>If I can get this sorted out, I think I shall register - this will be the
>first for a graphics package - I haven't found one worth registering yet
>I make do with Dr. Genius which came with my scanner.

Register!? I released this package for FREE. Why would you want to register?
I guess eedraw should be defined as a freeware (but copywrited to me).

Gershon
Elber Gershon                            gershon@cs.utah.edu
918 University village
Salt Lake City 84108-1180                Tel: (801) 582-1807 (Home)
Utah                                     Tel: (801) 581-7888 (Work)

wood@drift.dec.com (John F. Wood) (03/24/91)

Is there any way to get a netlist capability from eedraw?

I like the program (thanks for distributing it), but I want to minimize the
possibility of errors when building the actual device.  A netlist gives me
a list of wires to wrap and will help (all I have to do is hit the right
pins with the wire-wrap gun, which is no small task).  It will also be
useful for input to an autorouter when it comes time to make a PC board.

I didn't see anything that described the internal file format (although I
could have missed it).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

John F. Wood                  | EIS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: wood@drift.enet.dec.com
Continental Blvd.             | EASYnet: DRIFT::WOOD
MKO2-1/J12                    | Usenet : ...!decwrl!drift.enet!wood
Merrimack, NH  03054          | AT&T   : (603) 884-4686
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
            reflect those of my employer.