[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Captain Keen

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (03/04/91)

On the weekly PBS show "Computer Chronicles" this week, they mentioned a
shareware game called "Captain Keen" (at least I *think* this is the name)
for EGA/VGA that has a Nintendo/Mario Bros. look-and-feel to it.  I would like
to check it out, except that none of the ftp sites I checked (garbo, procyon,
grape) seemed to have it.  Does anyone have any pointers as to where I might
ftp it from?  They say you can get it from PC-MAGNET, but I do not subscribe
to that service.  Thanks.

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (03/04/91)

	I think that you might be talking about "Captain Comic".  It is EGA.
Shareware, too.

In article <1991Mar4.020110.15294@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>	I think that you might be talking about "Captain Comic".  It is EGA.
>Shareware, too.

I don't think so.  I have C. Comic and it looks different.  At least I thought
it did. I guess this means I'll have to get off my lazy butt and check...

Sigh!  :)

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar03.235411.21149@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>On the weekly PBS show "Computer Chronicles" this week, they
>mentioned a shareware game called "Captain Keen" (at least I *think*
>this is the name) for EGA/VGA that has a Nintendo/Mario Bros.
>look-and-feel to it.

It is called Captain Keen (Captain Comic is another great shareware
game though) and is from Apogee Software, I believe. Anyway, it is in
the IBMNEW FORUM of Compuserve... Don't know of a ftp site, but it can
be found on a lot of local BBSs around here, so I assume probably
everywhere.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (++Christopher();) (03/04/91)

Nope, he means Captain Keen. I just got a copy this evening from a friend,
and it's definately a mario bros. looalike, but with some definate
differences. Basically, the jumping to grab things theme...

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@erotica.fubarsys.com
-----

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/04/91)

Nope, it's "Commander Keen in the Invasion of the Vorticons"... or,
"Commander Keen" for short..

Part One of a three-part trilogy of games, this one is Shareware, the
other two are not..

Somewhere I heard something about a Nintendo cartridge version of this
game being in the works..  it's pretty good..  has a true arcade feel
to it.. and it's pretty tough..!

(Not to be confused with Captain Comic, which has gone commercial in
"Captain Comic II")

BobR

rodemer@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rodemer) (03/04/91)

Hello

I would like to have the address too ... I tried the other ftp-sites
mentioned but I didn't find it there $:-(
Please E-mail it to me ... Thanks in advance

Dirk

--

Dirk Rodemer   E-Mail : rodemer@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de

bh@eng.auburn.edu (Brian Hartsfield) (03/05/91)

Commanr Keen and Captain COmic are two completely different programs.

jharper@phobos.unm.edu (JT) (03/05/91)

Try grape.ecs.clarkson.edu

It's in pub/incoming/msdos/keen.zip   (At least it was when I got it)

Hope this helps.

				-Jeff

--
INTERNET: jharper@triton.unm.edu
UUCP: ...!ariel!jharper

jharper@phobos.unm.edu (JT) (03/05/91)

Someone asked about an ftp site to get Commander Keen. I just tried ftping
to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu and found it in "incoming/msdos/keen.zip" (hope
I got that right). Hope this is of some help.

					-Jeff

--
INTERNET: jharper@triton.unm.edu
UUCP: ...!ariel!jharper

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Image - BBS) (03/05/91)

heh... leave it to Bob to know his games.  ;)

chewdom@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Dominic Chew) (03/05/91)

No, it's not a plane, it's really Captain Keen and it's
available from:

	Apogee Software Production
	P.O. Box 476389
	Garland, Texas 75047-6389
	Tel: 214/240-0614

There are three volumes to it and only volume 1 is shareware.

Have fun ...

Dominic CHEW
chewdom@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com

kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar04.214150.10313@ariel.unm.edu> jharper@phobos.unm.edu (JT) writes:

>Try grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
>

>It's in pub/incoming/msdos/keen.zip   (At least it was when I got it)
>

>Hope this helps.
>
>				-Jeff

Yes.  I found it in /incoming/msdos on grape!  Thanks!

-kevin
kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar03.235411.21149@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
>On the weekly PBS show "Computer Chronicles" this week, they
>mentioned a shareware game called "Captain Keen" (at least I *think*
>this is the name) for EGA/VGA that has a Nintendo/Mario Bros.
>look-and-feel to it.

The game's name is Captain Keen and it is different from Captain
Comic.  It is worth mentioning that the only the first part is
distributed as shareware and the second two parts are available
through registration.

As far as sites I think I got a copy off
garbo.uwasa.fi or wuarchive.wustl.edu.  If either
of these do not have it, someone drop me an
email and I will send it to the site moderators.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

oneill@ulowell.ulowell.edu (Brian 'Doc' O'Neill) (03/18/91)

In article <3605@d75.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>In article <1991Mar03.235411.21149@ariel.unm.edu> kgowen@cie.uoregon.edu (Kevin Gowen) writes:
|>On the weekly PBS show "Computer Chronicles" this week, they
|>mentioned a shareware game called "Captain Keen" (at least I *think*
|>this is the name) for EGA/VGA that has a Nintendo/Mario Bros.
|>look-and-feel to it.
|
|It is called Captain Keen (Captain Comic is another great shareware
|game though) and is from Apogee Software, I believe. Anyway, it is in
|the IBMNEW FORUM of Compuserve... Don't know of a ftp site, but it can
|be found on a lot of local BBSs around here, so I assume probably
|everywhere.

Actually, it is called "Commander Keen". It is a pretty neat game, somewhat
like Mario, with good graphics and animation. It can be challenging too.

It is part of a Trilogy of games, of which only the first part is distributed
as Shareware.

I'll see what I can do with them...I also have another Apogee game called
Dark Ages, which is more like Mario...

Brian O'Neill - Systems Manager, Computer Science, University of Lowell
Internet: oneill@ulowell.edu				 (508) 934-3645
UUCP: harvard!ulowell!oneill

In article <1991Mar18.141015.25751@ulowell.ulowell.edu> oneill@ulowell.ulowell.edu (Brian 'Doc' O'Neill) writes:

| Actually, it is called "Commander Keen". It is a pretty neat game, somewhat
| like Mario, with good graphics and animation. It can be challenging too.

Look for it the week of April 1st - games week. Along with the latest GL
viewer and some gl files.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX