[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Big GIF files

graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) (03/20/91)

I have some big GIF files (640 x 1280 and larger). CSHOW seems to only show
about 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way of get CSHOW to display large GIFs
or alternately any other programs that can do big GIFs??

thanks

graeme
--
Graeme Wong See, Hardware Engineer           | Net:  graeme@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +1 61 2 805 2912

c60b-1eq@web-1d.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.035127.4576@research.canon.oz.au> graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:
>I have some big GIF files (640 x 1280 and larger). CSHOW seems to only show
>about 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way of get CSHOW to display large GIFs
>or alternately any other programs that can do big GIFs??

CSHOW (at least the more recent versions) can display GIF files whose
size is greater than the physical screen.  However, you can only view one chunk
at a time.  After CSHOW loads the image, use the arrow keys to view other
portions.  In some cases CSHOW will not load extremely large .GIF files due
to insufficient memory.  However, you should have no problem with 768x1024x256,
provided you have a VGA and 640K of free memory.

Noam Mendelson                       | "I haven't lost my mind,
c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU            |  it's backed up on tape
University of California at Berkeley |  somewhere."

6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Phoenix / Fig) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.210311.15059@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@web-1d.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

>In article <1991Mar20.035127.4576@research.canon.oz.au> graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:
>>I have some big GIF files (640 x 1280 and larger). CSHOW seems to only show
>>about 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way of get CSHOW to display large GIFs
>>or alternately any other programs that can do big GIFs??

>CSHOW (at least the more recent versions) can display GIF files whose
>size is greater than the physical screen.  However, you can only view one chunk
>at a time.  After CSHOW loads the image, use the arrow keys to view other
>portions.  In some cases CSHOW will not load extremely large .GIF files due
>to insufficient memory.  However, you should have no problem with 768x1024x256,
>provided you have a VGA and 640K of free memory.

>Noam Mendelson                       | "I haven't lost my mind,
>c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU            |  it's backed up on tape
>University of California at Berkeley |  somewhere."

This might seems strange but get a copy of FRACTINT and use it to load
up a background GIF.  You wouldn't think of using FRACTINT for a GIF
viewer but it works and provides more video modes than any program I've
seen, it will even scale the images if you want.  Bizzare but true ...
(you can rotate the palette also if you like ...)

 ..Mike Figueroa..........................        _______________________
 . 6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  (Internet) .       /        //     /
 . \-> %ucsbuxa@uunet.uu.net   (Bitnet)  .      /----    //     /   __
 .........................................     /        //     /     /
   "Vila weighs 73 kilos . . ."               /      ------    ------

tim@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Tim Lowery) (03/22/91)

In <1991Mar20.035127.4576@research.canon.oz.au> graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:

]I have some big GIF files (640 x 1280 and larger). CSHOW seems to only show
]about 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way of get CSHOW to display large GIFs
]or alternately any other programs that can do big GIFs??

I would also be interested in the answer to this question, particularly if
such a program is available to run under MS Windows 3.0.

Thanks

Tim
--
tim.lowery@SanDiego.NCR.COM

In article <1991Mar20.035127.4576@research.canon.oz.au> graeme@research.canon.oz.au (Graeme Wong See) writes:

| I have some big GIF files (640 x 1280 and larger). CSHOW seems to only show
| about 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way of get CSHOW to display large GIFs
| or alternately any other programs that can do big GIFs??

  I use vuimg, since it has infinite scroll around in any size picture,
and will zoom out so you can get an idea what the picture looks like.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX