[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SKYGLOB2 freezes my PC

icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) (03/19/91)

I downloaded <MSDOS.EDUCATION>SKYGLOB2.ZIP from the SIMTEL mirror site
wuarchive.wustl.edu. After successfully unpacking each attempt to run
SKYGLOBE made it neccessary to re-boot.

The configuration is: Siemens PCD-4T (80486) with DOS 4.01, VGA with
cirrus chipset with 256k.

Anyone else with the same problem? Any solution?
--
Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)

timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) (03/21/91)

In article <4344@gmdzi.gmd.de> icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) writes:
>I downloaded <MSDOS.EDUCATION>SKYGLOB2.ZIP from the SIMTEL mirror site
>wuarchive.wustl.edu. After successfully unpacking each attempt to run
>SKYGLOBE made it neccessary to re-boot.
>
>The configuration is: Siemens PCD-4T (80486) with DOS 4.01, VGA with
>cirrus chipset with 256k.
>
>Anyone else with the same problem? Any solution?

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 20MHz AST Premium 386C running
DOS 3.31 on a C&T chipset VGA.  Evidently interrupts are getting disabled,
because the keyboard no longer responds.  A reset is required to reboot.

--
timr@gssc.gss.com	Tim N Roberts, CCP	Graphic Software Systems
						Beaverton, OR

This is a very long palindrome. .emordnilap gnol yrev a si sihT

sladkey@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (john.r.sladkey..jr) (03/21/91)

In article <6616@gssc.UUCP> timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) writes:
>In article <4344@gmdzi.gmd.de> icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) writes:
>>I downloaded <MSDOS.EDUCATION>SKYGLOB2.ZIP from the SIMTEL mirror site
>>wuarchive.wustl.edu. After successfully unpacking each attempt to run
>>SKYGLOBE made it neccessary to re-boot.
>>
>>The configuration is: Siemens PCD-4T (80486) with DOS 4.01, VGA with
>>cirrus chipset with 256k.
>>
>>Anyone else with the same problem? Any solution?
>
>I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 20MHz AST Premium 386C running
>DOS 3.31 on a C&T chipset VGA.  Evidently interrupts are getting disabled,
>because the keyboard no longer responds.  A reset is required to reboot.

I had the same problem but I was eventually able to get SKYGLOB2 to work.
IT IS WORTH IT, SO KEEP TRYING...  I found out that skyglobe was writing
to the monochrome video ram area, which it should DEFINITELY NOT be doing.
Anyway, I was using the area as high ram for TSR's etc. and skyglobe
was trashing any program that was legitimately using that memory through
the memory manager.  Either excluding B000-B7FF or booting ``clean''
allowed the program to run without crashing anything else.  This may
be related to other people's problems.

Rick Sladkey
mvjrs@mvgpk.att.com

teexpjs@ioe.lon.ac.uk (PHILIP SMITH) (03/21/91)

In <4344@gmdzi.gmd.de> icking@gmdzi.gmd.de (Werner Icking) writes:

>I downloaded <MSDOS.EDUCATION>SKYGLOB2.ZIP from the SIMTEL mirror site
>wuarchive.wustl.edu. After successfully unpacking each attempt to run
>SKYGLOBE made it neccessary to re-boot.

>The configuration is: Siemens PCD-4T (80486) with DOS 4.01, VGA with
>cirrus chipset with 256k.

>Anyone else with the same problem? Any solution?
>--
>Werner Icking          icking@gmdzi.gmd.de          (+49 2241) 14-2443
>Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung mbH (GMD)
>Schloss Birlinghoven, P.O.Box 1240, D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1, FRGermany
>                                  "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod."

I've got a 386 with an Orchid Prodesigner II video card and skyglobe2 crashes
when I press a key but only using the VGA option so I use the EGA option.
Is it just certain video cards?

Philip Smith, Mullard Space Science Laboratory, U.K.  pjs1@uk.ac.ucl.mssl

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (03/26/91)

I have a Northgate 386 box with the ZyMOS "Poach" VGA chip set (Trident
compatible, I think).  SKYGLOBE froze on me when I tried to exit, after
having tried several of the other commands.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5293
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-????