[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] comp.archives.msdos

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/26/91)

In article <3289@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted
	   For all the requests for programs and parts thereof
     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
	   For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
	   online.

perhaps a "comp.archives.msdos" would be the suitable name for a piece
of the split of the .d group, ie.

comp.archives.msdos  --  archives and announcements of ms-dos software

moderated, with input from Timo, Keith, etc.  cross-post in part 1 of
the entries from cbip to include the header and subject information
and where to ftp it.  put on archive-name headers like those in
comp.archives and make it equally usable.

for that matter a "comp.archives.mac" wouldn't be out of line either,
it could be done now by snipping the sumex announcements out of
info-mac.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (03/26/91)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted
>	   For all the requests for programs and parts thereof
>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
>	   For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
>	   online.

If you are tired of reading the individual upload announcements which
I've been forwarding to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d I can solve that
problem immediately by *not* forwarding them.  I thought the users
liked them because they usually give more than a one line description
of the uploaded files.

I can revert back to a one-per-month listing of SIMTEL20 uploads, or
continue with the weekly "recent msdos uploads" and the monthly list.

I'm sorry that you consider these postings as increasing the noise ratio
on this newsgroup.  In my opinion the real problem is the discussion
of commercial programs and hardware problems.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/26/91)

In article <EMV.91Mar25134414@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <3289@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>
>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted
>	   For all the requests for programs and parts thereof
>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
>	   For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
>	   online.
>
>perhaps a "comp.archives.msdos" would be the suitable name for a piece
>of the split of the .d group, ie.
>
>comp.archives.msdos  --  archives and announcements of ms-dos software
>
>moderated, with input from Timo, Keith, etc.  cross-post in part 1 of
>the entries from cbip to include the header and subject information
>and where to ftp it.  put on archive-name headers like those in
>comp.archives and make it equally usable.

I have been thinking about Bill Davidsen's suggestion to split the
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d group, and it really that this might be well
warranted.  (I won't repeat here the arguments for it in this
posting).  If the group is split, I would, however, suggest just two
groups:
         comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
         comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives
   The former would from now on concentrate on problems and
questions about the posting and getting the binaries from the news,
and would be strictly orchestrated by Bill.
   The comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives group would discuss and give
information about the existence and availability of shareware, PD,
and freeware utilities for the PC from archives (by anonymous ftp or
mail servers).  It would also discuss these utilities.  Problems and
views on the programs and the packages, and so on.  Moderators of
the PC archives (like Keith Petersen and I) would take their act to
this new comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives group.
   I think that the suggested three-way split might cause too much
problems about what goes in where.  Let's take both the queries and
the announcements about programs to a single, new group.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

Jono_Moore@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (03/26/91)

> w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu writes:
>
> If you are tired of reading the individual upload announcements which
> I've been forwarding to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d I can solve that
> problem immediately by *not* forwarding them.  I thought the users
> liked them because they usually give more than a one line description
> of the uploaded files.

No! Don't do that! :-)

I think that the split could be ok though - I'm mostly interested in the FTP
information, not the binaries.
--
| cthulhu@{arkham.UUCP|arkham.wimsey.bc.ca}      | He who has had has been |