[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Utility to eliminate sound

climan+@cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) (03/27/91)

Is anyone aware of a utilty which will trap calls to the speaker?
Essentially, I would like to run certain programs without making a
racket.
		Thanks,
			Dani Climan
			climan@byron.cs.cmu.edu
			climan55@wharton.upenn.edu

dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.224923.9026@cs.cmu.edu> climan+@cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) writes:
>Is anyone aware of a utilty which will trap calls to the speaker?
>Essentially, I would like to run certain programs without making a
>racket.

PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
SIL2.ARC     B     8,622 20Jan90 Silence PC speaker
SILENCE.ARC  B     4,512 15Nov87 Turns PC speaker on and off

Available from SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL or the usual gang of mirrors.

Dave Conrad
dave%tygra@sharkey.cc.umich.edu
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Computer Conferencing and File Archive  =
-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

twillett@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (tom willett) (03/29/91)

dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) writes:

>In article <1991Mar26.224923.9026@cs.cmu.edu> climan+@cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) writes:
>>Is anyone aware of a utilty which will trap calls to the speaker?
>>Essentially, I would like to run certain programs without making a
>>racket.

>PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
> Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
>SIL2.ARC     B     8,622 20Jan90 Silence PC speaker
>SILENCE.ARC  B     4,512 15Nov87 Turns PC speaker on and off

>Available from SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL or the usual gang of mirrors.

Both of which only work about 1/3 the time on my clone AT and never on
the obnoxious games which I want it for.
--
Tom Willett             twillett@ucs.indiana.edu        twillett@iubacs.BITNET

jzl@micasa.uucp (Jack Z. Lupic) (03/30/91)

climan+@cs.cmu.edu (Dani Climan) writes:

> Is anyone aware of a utilty which will trap calls to the speaker?
> Essentially, I would like to run certain programs without making a
> racket.
> 		Thanks,

I am using a program called SIL21.com.  It should be available as SIL21.zip,
see info below:
                          Silence

                        Version 2.1
               Copyright 1988 by Carl Burtner

   If you have problems, questions, suggestions, or wish
         to contribute to the programs development
               ($10 contribution recommended)
                     please contact me.

                        Carl Burtner
                      435 Brandon Road