[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help wanted installing uwpc102 please!

delaunay@irisa.fr (Christophe Delaunay) (03/29/91)

     Hi netters!

     I tried to install uwpc102 that was posted in cbipc a week ago but
I can't make the uw server run correctly.  Here is my setup:

     My PC is connected to an ethernet terminal server through its
serial port com2.  I use com1 for something else.  When I want to work
on my favourite workstation, (a sun 3/60 running sun OS 4.0.3), the
terminal server connects me through a telnet session.  I tried to
connect to the sun with uw.exe running on my PC.  It works just fine
until I try to run the server to open more than one window.  Then, I get
stuck.  I can't do anything more.  I tried to recompile the uw server
with different makefile options.  The only thing I didn't change is the
VERSION variable that was set to 4.3: my sun runs a 4.3BSD unix.  Could
anyone succesfully install uwpc102 in a similar setup?  If so, could you
please give me advice?  Should it work better if I connected my PC
directly to the serial port of my sun?

     I am not a super-user so I compiled the uw server under my home
directory.  I set the BINDIR, LIBDIR and INCDIR to names of directories
I could write on but do I need some other special permissions for the server
to run correctly?

     Many many thanks in advance for any advice!

     Christophe Delaunay.  e-mail: delaunay@irisa.fr; uucp:
...!uunet!{mcvax,mcsun,inria}!irisa!delaunay

rhys@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (04/01/91)

In <1991Mar29.081124.5653@irisa.fr> delaunay@irisa.fr (Christophe Delaunay) writes:

>     I tried to install uwpc102 that was posted in cbipc a week ago but
>I can't make the uw server run correctly.  Here is my setup:
>
>     My PC is connected to an ethernet terminal server through its
>serial port com2.  I use com1 for something else.

Since I'm the author of this package, I better answer this question.
There are a number of bugs in the serial comms routines which have now
been fixed and beta-tested and a new version (1.05) has been uploaded to
SIMTEL20 and should be available in the near future.

>						    When I want to work
>on my favourite workstation, (a sun 3/60 running sun OS 4.0.3), the
>terminal server connects me through a telnet session.  I tried to
>connect to the sun with uw.exe running on my PC.  It works just fine
>until I try to run the server to open more than one window.  Then, I get
>stuck.  I can't do anything more.

OH!!!  It's THAT problem!!  Well ... I haven't got a good solution for this
one - it seems to be some freak timing problem or similar.  If ANYONE has
any info on this problem or similar problems starting the UW server, PLEASE
contact me with full details of your setup and what buttons you press to
make it fall over.  And please contact me if you've managed to fix this
problem!!  Stay tuned!

As a second thought, it may be a problem with SUN OS 4.0.3, so if anyone
has got it to go on that, I'd be interested in finding out about it.

>				    I tried to recompile the uw server
>with different makefile options.  The only thing I didn't change is the
>VERSION variable that was set to 4.3: my sun runs a 4.3BSD unix.  Could
>anyone succesfully install uwpc102 in a similar setup?  If so, could you
>please give me advice?  Should it work better if I connected my PC
>directly to the serial port of my sun?

Connecting it to the serial port of the sun directly shouldn't make any
difference, but try it out and see what happens.

>     I am not a super-user so I compiled the uw server under my home
>directory.  I set the BINDIR, LIBDIR and INCDIR to names of directories
>I could write on but do I need some other special permissions for the server
>to run correctly?

You shouldn't need any special permissions.  I run it under my home account
with no worries.

Look out for version 1.05 appearing on SIMTEL20 soon.  Maybe by some freak
of nature the problem will go away!  It works on 99% of machines, just some
go haywire!

Cheers,

Rhys.

||  Rhys Weatherley   |  The University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!            ||