[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Procomm+ & UNIX sz/rz??

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (03/27/91)

I'm trying to use Procomm Plus 1.1B (shrink wrap version) to send and
receive files with rz/sz on a 386 box running ISC UNIX 2.2 (System V/386
R3).  I'm having problems using YMODEM-BATCH to send a bunch of files
from the DOS box to UNIX box.  File transfer go ok if I send one file at
a time.  However, if I try to send multiple files (e.g., tell Procomm to
send *.TXT files to the UNIX box), the session aborts.  Does anyone know
if rz supports YMODEM-BATCH in receive mode (when I use 'rb' to receive
files)? I know that 'sb' sends a batch of files to the DOS box fine.

Thanks...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/30/91)

The "ymodem" in Procomm does not meet the YMODEM spec,
and will not operate normally with programs written
to the YMODEM spec.

DSZ can be called from Procomm to provide correct YMODEM
transfers (as well as ZMODEM and ZMODEM-90(Tm).

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF
--

"Compared to tanks, journalists are cheap - and you get more for your money."
		- Saddam Hussein

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (03/31/91)

On 29 Mar 91 19:16:25 GMT, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) said:

> The "ymodem" in Procomm does not meet the YMODEM spec,
> and will not operate normally with programs written
> to the YMODEM spec.

> DSZ can be called from Procomm to provide correct YMODEM
> transfers (as well as ZMODEM and ZMODEM-90(Tm).

> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
> Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
>   Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
> 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
> TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF
> --

> "Compared to tanks, journalists are cheap - and you get more for your money."
> 		- Saddam Hussein

I thought the official release of Procomm Plus doesn't come with zmodem.  I
guess this is why he doesn't use rz/sz and use rb/sb instead.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (04/01/91)

Procomm 2.0 does have internal Zmodem (as well as internal SuperKermit
and recognitions of >25-line screens, which is why I upgraded). All of
the batch protocols permit multiple file specs on download (depending
upon the ability of the host). The only way v 2.0 seems to permit
batch uploads, is if the batch can be specified with wild cards.
(Got this from another user on the Procomm support BBS). Unless some-
else knows of another way.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (04/02/91)

In article <EDWONG.91Mar30193901@bucsf.bu.edu> edwong@bucsf.bu.edu writes:

>I thought the official release of Procomm Plus doesn't come with zmodem.  I
>guess this is why he doesn't use rz/sz and use rb/sb instead.
>--
The "official" Procomm+ version 2.0 does include a semi robust rendering
of z-modem as well as X- and Y-modem.  There are some definite problems
with all three ... as Chuck said in his earlier post (65@omen.UUCP) PC+
does not follow the specs all that closely.

Using rz/sz from the university system to my PC+, I get frequent
drop-outs (BAD CRC) after which the rz/sz is left running open, as PC+
fails to inform rz/sz that it is aborting.  Same thing at the end of an
eventually successful download -- PC+ sends a weird termination string
that leaves rz/sz thinking there is a string mismatch and it is time to
abort.

Between this and the downgrade of the VT102 terminal emulation (they
disabled custom colors to make the environment a true emulation) I would
say this is another example of a reverse upgrade.  I called DataStorm to
complain, and asked if I could get a good price on a downgrade back to
version 1.1B :-).

I guess this is really not the right place for this discussion, so if
anyone wants to continue in this vein, let's take it to c.o.m.apps.

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */