[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Question regarding QuickCache posting

boyne@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (03/29/91)

Question regarding the Quick Cache program now being posted:  Does it
cache hard disk access, floppy access, or both?  I have seen caches
that do one or the other; having a slow hard disk, I want to do both.

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

dandrews@bilver.uucp (Dave Andrews) (04/02/91)

In article <320003@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> boyne@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Art Boyne) writes:
>Question regarding the Quick Cache program now being posted:  Does it
>cache hard disk access, floppy access, or both?  I have seen caches
>that do one or the other; having a slow hard disk, I want to do both.
>
>Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com

It does both.  QC is a pretty slick program, I've used it for a year
and a half with good results.  Worth every penny (all of $25 as I recall).

Frequently accessed sectors become "sticky" and tend to stay in the
cache longer, so the algorithm isn't strictly LRU.

All forms of expanded/extended/what-have-you memory are supported.

Their telephone support was pretty good.  I had problems with my
PC's Limited 286-8 AT clone when I installed QC originally (I eventually
narrowed it down to the machine itself - Dell replaced my keyboard
controller and ROM BIOS at no charge, not bad for a machine two years
out of warranty, but that's another story).  The people at Glassel
worked with me to try to isolate the problem, returning a couple of
long distance calls at their expense.  They couldn't have made any
money on me, seeing as they also sent me a fresh diskette in the
mail.

Do business with these jokers.  You won't be sorry, I think.

- David Andrews      tarpit!rtmvax!dandrews     (I never got used
                                                 to those newfangled
                                                 network addresses)