[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Wing Commander

bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) (03/22/91)

If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.

I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.

I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
ulators.

I have experienced delays in ship or weapons controls of upwards of 2 1/2
seconds. Anyone who has ever used a combat simulator can imagine what that
means.

The mouse control of the game is so sensitive (and no way to set it) that
the game cannot be played with it. On the keyboard, the controls are such
that improper keypresses in the heat of battle are common. Accompanied by
the priority given to making the enemy real flashy and spiffy looking as it
kills you, limits your ability to progress very far.

I have fought (repeatedly) some 300 missions. I have yet to get past the
8th mission. I don't say this to indicate that I'm a dork, but that there is
a real problem here. And yes, I've worked my way through a number of other
simulators, like Battle of Britain, Falcon AT, and A-10 Tank Killer.

Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) (03/22/91)

In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
>I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
>to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game.

Please note that Origin only recommends the game on machines that are 16Mhz
or better.  That's why the system responds so slowly on your machine.
Yes, the mouse is sensitive, but the game is winnable (my roommate's done
it).  The graphics are amazing, and on his computer (25 mhz) the game
runs very reasonably.
  Gavin Steyn
steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/22/91)

In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286.

That explains it, you don't even come close to the minimum recommended
configuration. This has been discussed many times in rec.games.misc.
If you don't have a machine (probably 16MHz 386SX min if you want
sound), don't buy the game, otherwise the consensus of all the players
and game magazines is that this is one of the finest games ever in it
genre and run a recent Compute Magazine Award among others.

>I have fought (repeatedly) some 300 missions. I have yet to get past the
>8th mission. I don't say this to indicate that I'm a dork, but that there is
>a real problem here. And yes, I've worked my way through a number of other
>simulators, like Battle of Britain, Falcon AT, and A-10 Tank Killer.

Big deal, I was able to get through the entire game in about a week
using the play it until you win strategy. Of course I have been bogged
down 2/3 through the Secret Missions for the last month, but I am
thoroughly enjoying it.

>Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

Or buy a faster machine first preferably with a sound board. This game
was definitely not meant to be played without one, as it has some of
the finest examples of using them for not just sound effects but
synchronized music dependent on the action not just constant
background stuff. Truly a breakthrough product in terms of quality and
hardware requirements, but wait WC II is coming out later this year
and will reputedly eat 32MB od HD space if you don't compress the
graphics. This just might push me over the edge and get that CDROM
player...

Take a look at the USENET Game ratings and you will find WC near the
top of the list in case you think me biased residing in the same
town as Origin.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

jset_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff Setzer) (03/23/91)

I have to disagree with you vehemently about Wing Commander.  First of all,
it says quite clearly in the manual that it is optomized for a 386 running
at 16 MHz and VGA...My apartmentmate has it for his 286/12, with VGA, and 2
meg of RAM, and it runs just fine.  We tried it on my machine, which is
similar to his except that it has but 1 meg RAM and EGA, and things went
quite a bit more slowly...it was acceptable, though (but since I can play on
his VGA machine, I decided not to buy my own copy and just use his).

Also, the game was meant to run with a joystick...there aren't a whole lot
of planes (spacefighters) that I know are controlled by a mouse or a
keyboard set of arrow keys...those features are just put in as a nicety for
marketing purposes.

And, in case you're wondering, my apartmentmate and one of his other friends
have each completed the entire set of missions, including those in the
"Secret Missions Pack."

You can't blame the company for your own hardware...I don't hate WC because
it bites in EGA...the game was written for specific hardware.

I would recommend the game to anyone with a 286/12 and VGA or better...the
soundtrack is cool, too! :-)

--
ASTROSETZ            | Internet: jset_cif@cc.rochester.edu (U of Rochester, NY)
"The Heavens Declare | ...but it's hard to tell with those  |   CONTEXT IS

kds@physics (Kevin Stokes) (03/23/91)

In article <39607@netnews.upenn.edu> steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) writes:
>In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>>save your money.
>>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game.

  I run WC on a 12Mhz clone, and enjoy it very much.  I have a joystick, which
I believe is necessary for the enjoyment of the game.
  I managed to complete the game in about a week of play (with character
resurrection).
  Anyway, this is not really the correct newsgroup for this discussion!
    -Kevin

--
	Kevin Stokes
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	kds@phy.duke.edu

shelby@sun1.ise.ufl.edu (Scott Preston) (03/23/91)

In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
>
>I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
>to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
>
>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
>masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
>make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
>ulators.

   Well, not to be mean or anything, I dont suppose that you read much or
have a Sound Blaster.   Before ragging on a game for its shortcomings
you should read the package!  It explicitly states "12 mhz or higher
recommended."  I notice that you state you have an 8 mhz.  That means
that you only have about 2/3s of the power required. if you have a
Sound card then you are really going to be hurtin'. I have played Wing
Commander as well as just about every other new game around.  Wing
Commander needs a bit of memory and some horsepower.  It has great sound
and graphics.

                      shelby@sun1.ise.ufl.edu

jayh@ms.uky.edu (Jay Hofacker) (03/23/91)

bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:

>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
>masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
>make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
>ulators.

As the game box clearly states: "RECOM'D: 12Mhz or higher".  Why did you buy
the game if you knew beforehand that your computer is too slow?

--
Jay Hofacker, sysop of the Audio/Visual Exchange, (606)254-1751 3/12/24 MNP 5
Mail: jayh@ms.uky.edu or uk02779@ukpr.uky.edu -- Yes, my signature is only 2 lin

6600kntp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kent Perrier) (03/23/91)

In article <39607@netnews.upenn.edu> steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gavin Steyn ) writes:

>In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>>save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
>>I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
>>to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
>>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game.

>Please note that Origin only recommends the game on machines that are 16Mhz
>or better.  That's why the system responds so slowly on your machine.
>Yes, the mouse is sensitive, but the game is winnable (my roommate's done
>it).  The graphics are amazing, and on his computer (25 mhz) the game
>runs very reasonably.
>  Gavin Steyn
>steyn@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

I have a 16Mhz 386sx and I runs fine.  Yes it slows down when there
is a lot of other ships in the area but from what I have heard, that
happens on everyones machine regardless of speed. BTW I have won
the origional missions and now I am working on the Secret Missions.

Kent Perrier                        Cogitio Ergo Sum
6600kntp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu          University of California
6600kntp@ucsbuxa.BITNET             Santa Barbara

billj@uop.edu (Vinyl Suede) (03/23/91)

bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:

>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
		^^^^^^
>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a

that's odd...i won.

>I have experienced delays in ship or weapons controls of upwards of 2 1/2
>seconds. Anyone who has ever used a combat simulator can imagine what that
>means.

>The mouse control of the game is so sensitive (and no way to set it) that
>the game cannot be played with it. On the keyboard, the controls are such
>that improper keypresses in the heat of battle are common. Accompanied by
>the priority given to making the enemy real flashy and spiffy looking as it
>kills you, limits your ability to progress very far.

i think the real problem here is a lack of reading the box before buying
the product.  as well as i remember, origin specifically intended wing
commander to be played on 16 mhz computers or faster.  in my experience,
25 mhz is perfect - the controls (both keyboard, mouse, AND joystick)
work flawlessly and there is no apparent "choppiness" (at least until
you start fighting 6 or more ships at once...in an asteroid field  8-o )

my suggestion is (besides buying a new computer):  try running the game
in ega mode.  the graphics really suck, but it's more playable at your
speed.

VS

  "Steppin' on toes is a common routine    |  Send email/flames to:
   Sneakin' up from behind                 |     billj@uop.uop.edu
   You won't get anywhere                  |-----------------------------------
   Dancin' out of time" - Deborah Gibson   |  Disclaimer:  It's all mine!

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (03/23/91)

bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:

> If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
> save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
>
> I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
> to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
>
> I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
> able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
> great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
> masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
> make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
> ulators.
>
> I have experienced delays in ship or weapons controls of upwards of 2 1/2
> seconds. Anyone who has ever used a combat simulator can imagine what that
> means.
>
> The mouse control of the game is so sensitive (and no way to set it) that
> the game cannot be played with it. On the keyboard, the controls are such
> that improper keypresses in the heat of battle are common. Accompanied by
> the priority given to making the enemy real flashy and spiffy looking as it
> kills you, limits your ability to progress very far.
>
> I have fought (repeatedly) some 300 missions. I have yet to get past the
> 8th mission. I don't say this to indicate that I'm a dork, but that there is
> a real problem here. And yes, I've worked my way through a number of other
> simulators, like Battle of Britain, Falcon AT, and A-10 Tank Killer.
>
> Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

You just can't say all of those things about Wing Commander.  I've heard
excellent reviews on it from just about everybody that's played it.  Just
because you run it on an 8Mhz computer, and it's slow doesn't mean that
it's not playable for people with faster computers.  Try it on a 12Mhz
computer and see what you think before you make these kinds of comments.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
     |  _____  |
      \   U   /
       "-----"

mholtz@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Mark A. Holtz) (03/24/91)

In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com>, bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
> I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
> able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
> great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
> masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
> make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
> ulators.

When you purchased the game, did you look at the front cover only,
or did you read the whole package? Well, in case you didn't read
the package, it says "12 Mhz or better". The documentation says
that you should really have a 386-16Mhz or better machine. The
configuration that I use for WC is:

* Everex 386/20MHz
* 140 MB EDSI hard drive
* Video-7 V-RAM card
* NEC Multi-Sync 4D Monitor
* Summasketch Professional
* Sound Blaster (with C/MS included)

I've loaded the game onto the hard drive's 16-MB G: partition
utilizing the "Save Time" configuration. Obviously, this takes up
more time in the initial game copying to hard drive, but saves time
in actual game play.

Which reminds me: Are you playing this game on a hard drive or off
floppies?

(Obviously, this is a configuration for a mega-bucks system. It was
designed for use with AutoCAD at work, but I use it for
telecommunications and game playing after-hours).

After playing the game, I realized that a graphics tablet
configured as a mouse was not the ideal control device for WC.
Thus, I purchased a joystick. Lovely game.

Also, did you bother to read the documentation? Each time you fire
your lasers, it uses up blaster energy, which is slowly
replenished during play.

> I have experienced delays in ship or weapons controls of upwards of 2 1/2
> seconds. Anyone who has ever used a combat simulator can imagine what that
> means.

Yes, a need to purchase a better machine.

> The mouse control of the game is so sensitive (and no way to set it) that
> the game cannot be played with it. On the keyboard, the controls are such
> that improper keypresses in the heat of battle are common.

For an arcade game like Wing Commander, the best controls are not
the keyboard or the mouse, but a JOYSTICK!!!!!!

> Accompanied by
> the priority given to making the enemy real flashy and spiffy looking as it
> kills you, limits your ability to progress very far.

This is part of the appeal of the game. Instead of having
line-drawn ships like Elite, you get to blast solids, whole, ships.

> Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

I strongly suggest that, before you condemn an entire company's
product line based upon a single product, that you purchase one of
the Origin's "Ultima" series. This is not as demanding on your
system's as WC.
--
 "We wish to remind the Usenet  /\  UUCP: ames att!pacbell!  \
 readers that whatever mholtz   []     pyramid sun!pacbell! -=> sactoh0!mholtz

jeff@onion.rain.com (Jeff Beadles) (03/25/91)

 >bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
 >
 > If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
 > save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
 > I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
 > able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
 > great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
 > masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
 > make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
 > ulators.
 > I have fought (repeatedly) some 300 missions. I have yet to get past the
 > 8th mission. I don't say this to indicate that I'm a dork, but that there is
 > a real problem here. And yes, I've worked my way through a number of other
 > simulators, like Battle of Britain, Falcon AT, and A-10 Tank Killer.
 > Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

This guy doesn't know how to read.  Right on the box they recomend 12mhz or
HIGHER.  I've got a 16mhz 268, and it runs quite nicely!  I'm playing with a
SoundBlaster and VGA, with no problems at all.  I've been hacking and slashing
my way to victory. :-)

BTW, I've also got A10.  It's on the other side of the spectrum.  I've got to
slow my PC down to fly it.

Buy Wing Commander.  With a VGA monitor and SoundBlaster, you'll really love
it.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		jeff@onion.rain.com

minar@reed.edu (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.030507.15534@sactoh0.sac.ca.us> mholtz@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Mark A. Holtz) writes:

[Wing Commander is really a good game]

>I strongly suggest that, before you condemn an entire company's
>product line based upon a single product, that you purchase one of
>the Origin's "Ultima" series.

Unless its Ultima VI, of course, one of the most bug-ridden games I can
remember being seriously released.  Its a pretty good game, but any game
whose documentation comes with warnings like "don't get too many spells -
it might crash" is a little silly.

humbug spam spam spam humbug

bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (03/26/91)

I have heard via e-mail, and seen here, a few responses to my post on Wing
Commander. I note with disappointment, that most of those who responded
believe that I failed to read the box or documentation. Not true. I did.

I just responded to a person who wrote to me about it. The ONLY thing that
MY documentation says is: IBM-PC and 100% Compatibles.

Nowhere does it say "12mhz"
Nowhere is any comment about command line "switches"
It is specific that the game may be played with mouse or keyboard, but that
some players "prefer" a joystick.

I do NOT play off of floppy disk.
I DID configure it for "save time"
I DID configure it for "no sound"
I DO have enough memory to run the game (640 on the motherboard 3meg on top)
My hard disk does NOT have a 4 minute access time. It's an 85mb Maxtor 18ms.

Origin, in a phone converation indicated that "certain changes" had been made
to the documentation, and "not all" of the games had the same. They also said
that "certain changes" were made due to problems of understanding by purchasers
in the past.

Give me a break. My original post was to indicate my great frustration, the
lack of data on the best system to play it on, and their practice of leaving
players unable to respond in close-quarters combat. Period.

Whoever that was that talked about a 'skip' switch, what ARE you talking about?
I tried it. No Effect.

My frustration stands, and has been augmented by those who tossed flames in the
midst of my words "does anyone know of any undocumented features to make this
better?"

To those of you with fancy machines and the money to make them fancier, good
for you. I'm not in that position. It took a LOT of saving before Wing
Commander could be bought.

Have a nice day.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/27/91)

<
<I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
<to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
<
<I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be

And therein lies your problem.. the packaging clearly states that 12Mhz or
faster is highly recommended (required?).  Inside the box, it mentions that
16Mhz or faster is also nice.  My 386SX runs at 20Mhz and the game is FANTASTIC,
although I still have noticed some response degradation when more than seven
or eight ships are on the screen.  Just lure one away from the pack and then
take it out one-on-one, then go back for another.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

w8sdz@smoke.brl.mil (Keith Petersen) (03/27/91)

This discussion on Wing Commander does not belong in newsgroup
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.  Please move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Keith

) (03/27/91)

In addition to a fast computer, can someone tell me other requirements for
Wing Commander?  How much is it?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

Bob.Kirkpatrick.@voice (Bob Kirkpatrick ) (03/28/91)

--

 UUCP: ...!tuvie!edvvie!voice!Bob.Kirkpatrick.
 ARPA: Bob.Kirkpatrick.@voice

billj@uop.edu (Vinyl Suede) (03/29/91)

ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:

>In addition to a fast computer, can someone tell me other requirements for
>Wing Commander?  How much is it?

- a fast computer
- a seatbelt    8-)
- a good vga card and monitor is nice
- a joystick is VERY nice (flightstick is best)
- expanded memory is used, but slows down program response - i don't use
  it most of the time.
- i bought it used for $30, but i think retail is around $40-45.

ekman@wdl30.wdl.loral.com (Donald Ekman) (03/30/91)

In article <27f2ba0b.2c06@uop.uop.edu> billj@uop.edu (Vinyl Suede) writes:
>ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>
>>In addition to a fast computer, can someone tell me other requirements for
>>Wing Commander?  How much is it?
>
>- a fast computer
>- a seatbelt    8-)
>- a good vga card and monitor is nice
>- a joystick is VERY nice (flightstick is best)
>- expanded memory is used, but slows down program response - i don't use
>  it most of the time.
>- i bought it used for $30, but i think retail is around $40-45.
>

>VS
>
>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  "Steppin' on toes is a common routine    |  Send email/flames to:
>   Sneakin' up from behind                 |     billj@uop.uop.edu
>   You won't get anywhere                  |-----------------------------------
>   Dancin' out of time" - Deborah Gibson   |  Disclaimer:  It's all mine!
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This is not a flame; it is not a suggestion that this is inappropriate for
this group.  What I do suggest is that those who want to discuss computer
games might find a better forum on rec.games.misc.  By "better forum" I mean
that there are more people posting and reading articles about computer games
there than there are in this group, so your chances of finding useful
information are better there.

See you there,
Don

--
Donald E. Ekman           | Disclaimer:  Loral    | How oft the sight of means
Space Systems/Loral       | doesn't think I have  |         to do ill deeds

curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) (04/01/91)

 It sounds to me like that guy is still crying because his MACHINE
 SUCKS, not the GAME.  Playing  Wing Commander on a 8 mHz machine is
 like putting super unleaded in a Yugo... You could do it, but why in
 the hell would you want to.

oneill@ulowell.ulowell.edu (Brian 'Doc' O'Neill) (04/01/91)

[If the discussion is already over, I apologize. My news feed is lagging...]

In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.

I happen to thing it is one of the best games around...

>I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
>to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.

Yes, it has excellent graphics, but I also thing that the game functionality
is great too.

>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
>masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
>make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
>ulators.

[Various other problems nuked...]

Perhaps it could be that you didn't read the requirements label before you
bought the game? You know, that (usually) blue label on the lower left front
and left side of the box that explains what equipment is supported? I
believe it states that you need 12Mhz or better. I tried runnig it on a
12Mhz EGA system, but it was too slow. I have a 33Mhz VGA system, and it is
great. I've finished it. I'm holding off on bying the Secret Missions Disk
so I won't lock myself away for a week playing it.

Haven't you ever read the requirements before buying it?

>Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e

One should not make these sort of criticisms unless that person knows all
the facts.

Brian O'Neill - Systems Manager, Computer Science, University of Lowell
Internet: oneill@ulowell.edu				 (508) 934-3645
UUCP: harvard!ulowell!oneill

dgn1@ra.MsState.Edu (Dwargon Evilslayer) (04/02/91)

I finally finished the secret missions.... and I was much happy.

However.... I have found that my 12Mhz 286 with an EGA card was sufficient
to run WC.... but I would have done almost anything for a vga card, or a faster
machine on many of the missions....

	The game was decent on my machine, but soooo much better on others.

	Has anyone figured out a way to prgram your own scenarios...

A couple friends of mine are trying to find the mission info, any help out there....?

	Even better is there a Wing Commander Mission Generator on the
planning board.

Dwargon

lumpi@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) (04/03/91)

oneill@ulowell.ulowell.edu (Brian 'Doc' O'Neill) writes:
>[If the discussion is already over, I apologize. My news feed is lagging...]
>In article <957@tau-ceti.isc-br.com> bobk@tau-ceti.isc-br.com (Bob Kirkpatrick ) writes:
>>If anyone is considering the purchase if WING COMMANDER by Origin of Texas,
>>save your money. There are a lot BETTER things to spend your money on.
>>
>I happen to thing it is one of the best games around...
I would even call it the technical (graphics and sound-effects) best
game available for ibm-comp. at this time !

>>I have WING COMMANDER, and have discovered that the game will give priority
>>to it's fancy graphics instead of game function.
>>

>Yes, it has excellent graphics, but I also thing that the game functionality
>is great too.
You nearly have to turn your head away from the monitor, if one alien
fighter attacks you...

>>I run a slower (8mhz) PC clone 286. On my system, I can expect to NOT be
>>able to fire my guns when in close proximity to the enemy, giving them a
>>great advantage. In essence, there is no winning the game. If you're a
>>masochist, then this IS the game for you. But if you wish to hone skills,
>>make achievements, and progress in levels, then use one of the other sim-
>>ulators.
>>
>[Various other problems nuked...]

>Perhaps it could be that you didn't read the requirements label before you
>bought the game? You know, that (usually) blue label on the lower left front
>and left side of the box that explains what equipment is supported? I
>believe it states that you need 12Mhz or better. I tried runnig it on a
>12Mhz EGA system, but it was too slow. I have a 33Mhz VGA system, and it is
I play it on my 486/25-System with high-speed vga and it is the greatest
thing to do !!! Shutdown the unix system, connect an old dos-harddrive and
boot from it, just to play !!!!! Its definetly fun !

>Haven't you ever read the requirements before buying it?
>>Origin's product eats it folks. Save your money --buy something else.e
>One should not make these sort of criticisms unless that person knows all
>the facts.
so it is !

jl
--