[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] ZOO files.

ctcheung@pollux.usc.edu (Christopher T. Cheung) (08/01/89)

Hi!
	I just go hold of a zoo file (I think) and I don't quite know how to
get it working.  They are in 10 parts and they named part01.Z to part10.Z.
I FTPed it from one of the anonymous FTP sites (I forgot which one).  Can
someone PUULEEASE help!!!!  Thanx in advance!!

						Chris~(ctcheung@pollux.usc.edu)

grano@kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI (Juhani Grano) (08/02/89)

In article <18917@usc.edu> ctcheung@pollux.usc.edu (Christopher T. Cheung) writes:
!Hi!
!	I just go hold of a zoo file (I think) and I don't quite know how to
!get it working.  They are in 10 parts and they named part01.Z to part10.Z.
!I FTPed it from one of the anonymous FTP sites (I forgot which one).  Can
!someone PUULEEASE help!!!!  Thanx in advance!!

	The .Z ending in files is a UNIX convention which means that the
files are compressed with the compress utility available on UNIX
systems. Thus, to uncompress them you'll need compress, not zoo. There
are some public domain compress-lookalikes for MESS-DOS available; I
think Simtel might have one. Once you have compress, the usual procedure
to uncompress the .Z files is

	compress -d myfile.foo.Z

which will (again, usually) produce the uncompressed file myfile.foo.
I understand your files are not also in tar format (myfile.tar.Z) - if they
were, you would additionally need a lookalike for the UNIX tar utility.

Hope this helps,
------------------------------
Kari Grano				University of Helsinki, Finland
email to: grano@cs.helsinki.fi		Department of CS

davem@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Dave McQuate) (08/02/89)

My guess is that the ".Z" suffix does not indicate a "zoo" archive, but instead
a file processed by the unix "compress", so what you need is "uncompress".

soulard@adele.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) (10/20/89)

I'm a new news user, and i would know how to convert a ZOO listing to an
executable file.

Is anyone can help me ?

<ACPS6998@Ryerson.CA> (04/03/91)

Could someone please send me the ZOO program to create and extract
ZOO files.  I would greatly appreciate it.    Thanks
L8er.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/04/91)

In article <91092.210247ACPS6998@Ryerson.CA> ACPS6998@Ryerson.CA writes:
>Could someone please send me the ZOO program to create and extract
>ZOO files.  I would greatly appreciate it.    Thanks
>L8er.

7. *****
 Q: Someone email me a .zip extractor (or something equally common)

 A: This is not a flame but a friendly piece of advice for you, and
others occasionally posting similar wishes concerning easily
available shareware and PD programs.
    Better still than making an offhand request that may end up with
several kind netters duplicating each others' efforts for your
benefit by rushing to email your request to you, how about doing the
work yourself and getting it from an ftp site, or a BBS near you.
At our site the extractors can be found in the /pc/pd2 directory.
For .zip files use pkz110eu.exe.
   The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi,
Vaasa, Finland, or by using our mail server (use the latter if, and
only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not familiar with
anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared send prerecorded
instructions on request.  (If you don't get the instructions from me
within a few days, it will mean that your email address cannot be
reached by a simple email reply, and you wouldn't be able to utilize
the mail server anyway.)
   If you are in North America, first try a North American mail
server to cut down the overseas traffic.
   If you don't know what directory to look at for the program you
would like to have, first get the file lists:
     /pc/INDEX
     /pc/ts/0dir-ts
     /pc/ts/tsarc###.txt  (### = a growing version number)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37