[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Why are upload announcements a problem?

sjr@mcimail.com (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (03/30/91)

Keith Peterson wrote the following on 25 Mar 91:

>davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted
>>          For all the requests for programs and parts thereof
>>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
>>          For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
>>          online.
>
>If you are tired of reading the individual upload announcements which
>I've been forwarding to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d I can solve that
>problem immediately by *not* forwarding them.  I thought the users
>liked them because they usually give more than a one line description
>of the uploaded files.

Whoa.  Time out.  I have to say Keith Peterson's messages are one of the
main reasons why I read this newsgroup.  If there should be a split
to accomodate the new software announcements, fine, but let's not get rid
of these messages altogether.

>I'm sorry that you consider these postings as increasing the noise ratio
>on this newsgroup.  In my opinion the real problem is the discussion
>of commercial programs and hardware problems.

I'm inclined to agree.

Sander Rabinowitz       | sjr@mcimail.com -or- | std.disclaimer
Farmington Hills, Mich. | sander@attmail.com   |       8-)

burleigh@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Frank Burleigh) (03/30/91)

In <1991Mar29.215716.6263@terminator.cc.umich.edu> sjr@mcimail.com (Sander J. Rabinowitz) writes:

>Keith Peterson wrote the following on 25 Mar 91:

>>davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>>>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.wanted
>>>          For all the requests for programs and parts thereof
>>>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
>>>          For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
>>>          online.
>>[keith suggests he might not post his simtel uploads anymore...]

>[sander asks keith to keep them coming because they are useful.
> but agress with bill that there's a lot of crap in cbip.d].

i agree with bill's suggested additional groups; this group is
flooded with posts that are not only well beyond discussion of
the binaries bill reviews and posts, but too often well beyond
the discussion of non-commercial 'binaries' anyway.  maybe 20
percent of the posts here belong in the ...msdos.apps group.

bill's suggestion to have a cbip.ftp doesn't imply that keith's
posts aren't useful.  the issue is finding a place for keith's
posts.  them being here never troubled me, but they might be
more widely read in a more heavily travelled group.  i doubt
that would be cbip.ftp though, as the binaries hierarchy may
be implicitly understood to be tied to the moderated
binaries distribution group.

we need more discussion about this.  meantime, some posters
should consider directing some of their posts to ...apps.

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@cica.cica.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!cica!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) (03/30/91)

I have never found Keith's postings to be in any way, shape or morph to be
'noise'.  Keith, you are appreciated!  Please keep up the good work.  This
is a subject that has been brought up in the past.  What's the problem?
I'm FORCED to use a 1200 baud, 7-bit link to do all my 'nix-stuff and I've
never ever had a personal problem with Keith's posts.
(although I admit it was a bit more of a pain when I used rn instead of nn).

Keith: please don't quit.  Others who are annoyed, press the 'N' key when
annoyance sets in.  8-)
And for Pete's sake, get some sleep.  Yer too grouchy.  ;-]

                   .                 :  kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu :
              .   -+-   .            :  kenns@nyssa.cs.orst.edu  :
             -+-   |   -+-           +---------------------------+
              |         |              :        {ogicse,hp-pcd}
  He Came To Die On A Cross Of Wood;   :!orstcs!jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU!kenns
And He Made The Hill On Which It Stood;:         Kenn R. Stump

SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA (Peter Scott/Order Unit Manager/U of Saskatchewan Library/6016) (03/30/91)

Kenn R. Stump writes:

>I have never found Keith's postings to be in any way, shape or morph to
>be 'noise'.  Keith, you are appreciated!  Please keep up the good
>work. This is a subject that has been brought up in the past.  What's
>the problem?

I agree totally with this and would hate to see Keith stop the postings.
In fact, I would appreciate receiving the "recent postings" directed
straight to my mailbox!
So, Keith, would you CC: to me the next and future lists?

  |                    Peter Scott  .  Phone:    306-966-6016         |
  |             Order Unit Manager  .  FAX:      306-966-6040         |
  | Univ of Saskatchewan Libraries  .  ad079@yfn.ysu.edu              |
  |                      Saskatoon  .  Internet: SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA |
  |   Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OWO  .  an682@cleveland.freenet.edu    |

yogi@cs.ubc.ca (Joseph Gil) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar30.052013.1399@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) writes:

>I have never found Keith's postings to be in any way, shape or morph to be
>'noise'.  Keith, you are appreciated!  Please keep up the good work.
[Other stuff in the same spirit deleted]

I couldn't say it better or support it stronger!
(long live short signatures)

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (03/31/91)

Okay already - this has resulted in more noise than Keith's announcements
for the past year!  May we please resume life as normal?
--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) (03/31/91)

About the only problem I see with upload notices is that I immediately have
to get the programs listed since they usually are `just what I needed.'  :)

Michael Graff explorer@iastate.edu ga.mlg@isumvs.bitnet gamlg@ccvax.iastate.edu

In article <1991Mar29.215716.6263@terminator.cc.umich.edu> sjr@mcimail.com writes:
| Keith Peterson wrote the following on 25 Mar 91:
|
| >davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
| >>     comp.binaries.ibm.pc.ftp
| >>          For all the ftp sites to post their list of what they have
| >>          online.
| >
| >If you are tired of reading the individual upload announcements which
| >I've been forwarding to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d I can solve that
| >problem immediately by *not* forwarding them.  I thought the users
| >liked them because they usually give more than a one line description
| >of the uploaded files.
|
| Whoa.  Time out.  I have to say Keith Peterson's messages are one of the
| main reasons why I read this newsgroup.

I have no idea why or how Keith read any criticism of his postings into
my original posting, nor why people are trying to defend them. I
proposed setting aside a whole group for postings from archive sites.
But when I'm trying to check through quickly to see if there are
problems or questions related to the binaries I posted I would rather
not wade through lists of ftp sites. And when I want to look for new
material which might be posted I'd like to find the lists in one place,
and not find them mixed with requests for reposts.

Let's understand what's being proposed, and why, before assuming that
every suggestion for a change is an attack.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

kenns@prism.cs.orst.edu (Kenn R. Stump) (03/31/91)

In <explorer.670371056@calvin.cc.iastate.edu> explorer@iastate.edu (Graff Michael L) writes:

>About the only problem I see with upload notices is that I immediately have
>to get the programs listed since they usually are `just what I needed.'  :)

Isn't that the truth?  I've always had this problem, and I've got about
800k waiting for me to download it.  Perhaps we could get Keith to
uuencode and e-mail the 'necessary' stuff to each of us individually every
day @noon.  What say Keith?  ;-}  Hey, no fair punching!

- kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Ed Naratil) (04/01/91)

%>
%
%I couldn't say it better or support it stronger!
%(long live short signatures)

AMEN!

----
Ed Naratil                                     (All standard disclaimers apply)
Amateur Packet: W3BNR@N3LA.#epa.PA.USA.NA      ean@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (04/04/91)

I find the simtel upload postings useful, but I would strongly support the
proposed groups, although I would personally prefer to name the second
group comp.binaries.ibm.pc.announce and preferably make it moderated.
It would then be the ideal place to post the "new uploads to simtel",
"recent downloads statistics from Garbo" and all new product announcements.

-frisk